In-year application and school choices

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
We may be putting in an application on a house. We hope to stay there until Earl is in Yr5 so would ideally like to send him to a good school, that his brothers could follow him through. We intend to buy before he starts senior school applications so that we will know exactly which schools we can apply for etc. I would ideally like to keep movements to a minimum.

The house is in the catchment area to an infant/junior configuration. I'm not a fan of these, and with 2 younger ones I think they cause a lot of bother especially when they're 1/2 a mile apart!!! :dohh: However, like I say it would be for 4 years. I would be driving him to school while he's in infants but at Junior level there is a school bus from the village which he could take which I think he would like. We are however, highly unlikely to buy in the area that this school is in. It's in the town that my husband will be working in (hopefully for the long-term future) and it's isolated from our family/friends.

The next closest school is in the opposite direction but is a primary 4-11 school on one site. It's in a town we're highly likely to buy in, closer to family and friends and better connected (and houses are in our price range too!) There is only a 2 mile difference (5 mile drive to one, 7 to the other) and I would be driving anyway so it's not a problem really either way. There just wouldn't be an option for the bus with the 2nd one.

While he is dealing with the house side of things, I'm worrying about the schools etc. I also need to consider my younger ones and where we can get pre-school places etc too. The village is too small to have a playgroup. In 2 years time I will have all 3 of them at school and would prefer to have them all under 1 roof. Hubby on the other hand thinks that the catchment infant school would be better as eldest could then get the bus with his friends once he gets to junior school age and that would cut down any problem with the logistics. I can't help but think long term though. If I put them in at the 2nd school, it's likely we'd buy into the catchment for that school, which would mean they could stay put and go through with friends to the senior school etc.

I moved a lot and I don't want Earl to have to do 3/4 different primary schools but it's looking like it won't be helped. I also understand that I may not get the choice as you apply and then get given a place at one school or the other nowadays in much the same way as reception places are given out.

Which one would pick and why? Should I apply for both? If so in what order? I don't want to get the 'wrong' one. We also won't have much of a chance to view the schools, so I am kind of doing this blind for the time being. I won't be able to do anything until we've signed on the house anyway but then I will need to get this all sorted, including visiting schools and filling in the forms, before the end of term so he can start in September. Argh why is this so difficult lol. I'm sure my mum never did all this worrying about me when we moved about! lol :blush:

i would look at the long term! its best to have them all in once place :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->