Income VS Contribution Based ESA

TTCSept 12

Mother of Ebony Jade
Reaction score
Hello, Bit of a weird one here,

I'm currently receiving contribution based ESA due to problems during pregnancy and I have been forced to leave work. I was on SSP from start of Dec until mid April when my resignation notice period ended and I was classed as unemployed, Since then i've been on ESA.

My query is that I wish to claim the maternity grant and the healthy start vouchers, i'm currently 27 weeks and 2 days pregnant, but they all state income based ESA rather than contribution based.

Am I still able to get them if its contribution based or does it have to be income based? and whats the difference? I don't understand why I was automatically chosen to receive contribution based and whenever I have questioned it no-one seems to know. I have sent off to have it changed from contribution based to income based instead but currently waiting to hear back.

I'm concerned that they won't change it hense why I was selected to contribution based not income and I will not receive any help which I do need very much so at the moment.

Any information anyone has would be much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

:shrug:

Contrubution based is used when you have paid your own national insurance prior to claiming and you can only claim for a certain period (when it was job seekers it was for 6 months). Income based will be based on household income, do it will take your ohs income into consideration. It could be tht he earns too much for you to get income based, therefore you can't claim the other bits. However after 6 months on contrubution based, and there is isn't any other income you can get income based.

thank you for your reply,

Paid my own national insurance? I was employed at the company took it from my wages with TAX before I received my final pay, is that what you mean by paid my own?

And its just me so no other income has been taken into account as there is no other income. I currently live with my mother in her home and pay council tax and thats it here. if thats any more help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->