Increased NT

Praying that everything turns out just fine!! Have faith!!

We had an NT of 4.2mm and everything turned out ok. We had the same odds as you also. Googling was very reassuring and i must say that the odds of having a completely normal baby from this are high. All the best x

I JUST got the results - NORMAL! No chromosomal issues. The genetic counselor said now we have to wait for the "microarray" results, which is another 2 weeks! Like, seriously?? But she did say that our chances of the baby being normal and healthy went WAY up since we got initial normal results. She said we should feel very reassured - and I do!

I'm glad I did not terminate. Although, I know we're not in the clear and there's a still a chance something could be wrong. But I have more faith now that maybe it will turn out okay. Thanks everyone for all your positive thoughts and support. Truly!

P.S. - Its a boy!

Congratulations!!! So happy for you. Amazing :)

Best news ever!!!! So happy for you!

Thanks ladies for your support - it really makes me feel better! We're not out of the woods yet...still waiting on this microarray stuff and the noonan's test. We might get results Thur or Fri, but more likely Monday. Will keep you all posted! I've read just about EVERY increased/thick NT thread on the internet and the worst is when people don't come back and say what happened! I will be back when more results become available. :thumbup:

I'm so glad to read that you had positive news! How are you feeling now? For the record, I don't think you sound cold (let alone like a sociopath!), I think you sound scared for your baby. I've had a few losses in the past and am very slow to bond with a pregnancy now and I actually think that's a good thing. I have two healthy kids and I love them beyond words and I know without the shadow of a doubt that I'll love this baby just as much when it joins us. That doesn't mean that I can't be guarded about my feelings before I know everything is ok though. Since our first loss, I've tried to think of early pregnancy as the chance of a baby, rather than a baby already, and when we had a very early loss at 6.5 weeks, I was honestly mostly relieved that it didn't happen later. So from that point of view I can understand your desire to terminate rather than risk having to make that decision later, even though I can't possibly say what I'd want in your situation. We've had 5 scans already and a low nt measurement but no blood work yet and I'm only now starting to believe this is going to result in a baby for us, hopefully. It sounds like this is your first baby? If that's the case, I can totally see how you'd feel weird about feeling "cold" about the pregnancy before you know you'll be ok, but honestly, I don't think it'll affect your bond with the baby or how good a mother you will be one bit. Try not to beat yourself up about it!
By all means address the things in your past that you think might be interfering with your bond with this pregnancy but honestly, don't worry that that bond won't come. Wishing you all the very best and nothing but plain sailing from now on!

Amygdala, thanks for being so non-judgmental and empathetic. This whole situation has really opened my eyes to the mixed opinions and feelings people have regarding high-risk pregnancies, and has really made me examine my own mixed feelings on it. It's a roller-coaster with a lot of grey areas, frustration and waiting. It sucks man! I'm so sorry to hear about your pregnancy struggles and losses. I totally understand why it's hard to bond with a baby who may or may not actually make it into the world. So much of bonding with the baby involves imagination, and planning, and visions of the future...when that is taken away from you, it's almost like having a stranger living in your belly. It's a bizarre and anxiety-ridden existence until you get answers one way or another. Congrats on making it this far in your current pregnancy! It sounds like this one is ready for the long journey! I wish you and your little guy or gal a stress-free and healthy pregnancy as well! Keep me posted!

P.S. ya'll - microarray came back normal! Now we have the noonan's test and detailed ultrasound next. Both of those results will be available in 2-2.5 weeks...hoping only good news for my lil dude from here on out! Will update after the scan.

That sounds really positive! Hopefully soon this will all just be a horrible scare in the past and you'll be able to finally enoy your pregnancy. Will be checking back for good news. :)

So we had our level 2 ultrasound a few hours ago, and the doctor said the baby looks great! Everything was in normal range, including the NT which was at 4mm (at 18-20 weeks, 6mm is max for normal range). We got to see our little guy sucking on his hand and kicking his legs. He's so cute! We still have an echocardiogram at 22 weeks and we're still waiting for noonan's results, although we're pretty optimistic now. I think what really disturbs me so much at this point is reflecting on this whole journey, and realizing how much pain and stress could have been avoided if the doctor would have just delivered the news of the increased NT better. Literally, that first conversation about the what ifs made a tremendous impact on both me and my husband and we nearly terminated the pregnancy because of it. But our baby appears to actually be healthy. I'm not the type to complain, but I do want to let the Kaiser OBGYN Dept know at some point that they really need to work on their communication skills when it comes to difficult conversations with patients because poor communication skills can literally result in unnecessary death, not to mention the psychological scarring for the patients. Anyway, end of rant. Will continue to update when the other results come in but so far, so good!

I'm so glad to read your good news!
I also know what you're talking about regarding interpersonal skills in medical professionals. I'm having a pretty tough time at the moment, worrying much more than I should. And I realised it's because of the very abrupt attitude of the sonographer at my last scan. It just makes you feel uneasy when people aren't saying anything reassuring. So I can only imagine the impact of someone presenting something as worrying as your situation in a bad way. I'm so glad it turned out well but I think you're right, your doctor should have tried to help you worry less. Apart from the risk that parents decide to end what is really a healthy pregnancy, the psychological impact of losing faith like that shouldn't be underestimated. It's tough to trust your body and a pregnancy again after thinking that it may be over.

cnote I am so happy your baby is okay!! I know how you feel after we were high risk. I think your dr presented it to you like our dr did which ws not appropriate. Actually my OB even mentioned termination before any confirmation tests were back and we had an NT of 2.97-3.1mm. You are right there are unnecessary baby deaths. I think these days the drs have to CYA if you know what I mean so they basically have to give worse case scenario and all the options. I agree there is an appropriate way to go about things which can make the world of difference and if you feel you werent treated right or given the best care you should have you should complain. I am relieved for you (which I know you are as well!!) and will keep all crossed this pregnancy continues to go smooth from here on out.

Thanks so much ladies for all your comments! It's really comforting to know others have gone through this process and can relate to how I felt/am feeling. I wish none of us have had to suffer this way, but I am very grateful that all of us are luckily experiencing healthy pregnancies (and healthy deliveries! Congrats MoBaby on your handsome guy!). I do hope that in time, the whole screening and diagnostic process can develop better practices when it comes to patient communication and tough discussions. More than anything, I hope I (and none of you) ever have to even have a conversation like that with a doctor again.

all that being said - our noonan's results are negative! So for anyone surfing the web desperate for reassurance after a high NT - have hope!

Here is my timeline for anyone going through all the testing and wondering when the madness will end!

7/6 - 3.7 NT, 1/5 chance of downs, 1/10 heart defect
7/12 - CVS
7/22 - CVS Clear
8/3 - Microarray Clear
8/19 - Level 2 ultrasound great
8/25 - Noonan's results clear

There is now a 95% chance of a good outcome.

Thank you again ladies for all your support! Xo

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone going through an abnormal NT scare. I know I hated it when I was reading similar threads online and no one would come back to update! My baby boy was born on 1/15 weighing 6 lbs 15 oz and is perfectly healthy and normal.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh