induction and shoulder dystocia?

nicksi27

Reaction score
Hi ladies im getting induced in a week and im starting to get really nervous :wacko: im being induced due to my previous loss and the fact ive got polyhydramnios (excess fluid) which is making me sooo uncomfy. Baby is measuring 92nd centile for estimated size and at 35 weeks he was 7lb2oz with his head being >97th centile and belly being being 95th so hes gonna be quite big by 38 weeks. I have a final growth scan on wed to check that hes not over 5kg otherwise it has to be a c section.

in my notes my doc has wrote "agreed to IOL in view of previous stillbirth and discussed risk of shoulder dystocia". Thing is, i told her i was concerned about giving birth to a baby with such big head and abdo and she said his head should actually help open up the pelvis so the shoulders come out easier. She said a big head is easier than a small head and large abdo so im confused as to why there is a risk of dystocia is this to do with induction??

Guess im just freaking out .... Ive given birth before but my DS was only 20 weeks so it was relatively straight forward just painful.

In need of some positive induction/big baby stories. x

Hi, and sorry for your loss.

I have had 2 shoulder dystocia babies (9lb 3oz & 8lb7, not huge, but not average).

Any baby that is macrosomic (which I think is 9lb 15oz+) is at risk. But SD is caused generally by poor positioning in the birth canal (and the bigger the baby, the more likely the bad positioning can cause getting stuck). So, small babies in a bad position can get SD but a giant baby in a great position might fly out without a problem.

A big head is not really a problem (some women slightly tear but that's not so much the baby's issue).

Induction seems to have links to SD- this is probably because induction forces labour and forcing labour before the baby has chosen it's natural position sets off a chain of events where baby is in a bad position coming down. The other reason is that induction is more painful (now, a simple sweep is not the same as pitocin of course) so women choose more pain relief, and when (for example), paralyzed by an epidural, you cannot walk around and jiggle that baby into a better position.

My 1st was induced and my 2nd was not. My 1st was not easy to get out (but that was a 1st time labour) but the 2nd was an easy birth, despite the dystocia, I had no tearing and discharge 3 hours later, cooking dinner that night.

Other risk factors are (lack of) maternal height (5'0), previous history (erm me haha), maternal obesity, and known pelvic disproportion.

Hi, and sorry for your loss.

I have had 2 shoulder dystocia babies (9lb 3oz & 8lb7, not huge, but not average).

Any baby that is macrosomic (which I think is 9lb 15oz+) is at risk. But SD is caused generally by poor positioning in the birth canal (and the bigger the baby, the more likely the bad positioning can cause getting stuck). So, small babies in a bad position can get SD but a giant baby in a great position might fly out without a problem.

A big head is not really a problem (some women slightly tear but that's not so much the baby's issue).

Induction seems to have links to SD- this is probably because induction forces labour and forcing labour before the baby has chosen it's natural position sets off a chain of events where baby is in a bad position coming down. The other reason is that induction is more painful (now, a simple sweep is not the same as pitocin of course) so women choose more pain relief, and when (for example), paralyzed by an epidural, you cannot walk around and jiggle that baby into a better position.

My 1st was induced and my 2nd was not. My 1st was not easy to get out (but that was a 1st time labour) but the 2nd was an easy birth, despite the dystocia, I had no tearing and discharge 3 hours later, cooking dinner that night.

Other risk factors are (lack of) maternal height (5'0), previous history (erm me haha), maternal obesity, and known pelvic disproportion.

thank you so much that explains things perfectly :) i think id probably be better off waiting to start off naturally but this fluid is so bad i just want him out!! Hopefully he gets himself into a good position (hes head down but back to back at the moment) and hasnt put on excessive weight when i have the scan on wednesday. Gonna try my best to avoid an epidural, if possible. Suppose i need to just stop stressing, hes gotta come out and thats it.
Love your profile pic btw your LO is absolutely adorable :)

My sister was polyhydromis to say that you shoild wait till you start naturally is not a good idea because in water the child can't really find the right postion anyway.its not just a problem of a big baby.the matter is the baby does not drop engage or push down with alot more water
So to wait for ur baby to make you dialate and start your contractions would be harder for you as dont foeget everyday they grow at the end and become bigger and bigger.my sister had constant contractions for weeks which wpuld frizzle out she kept saying I want to start on my own contractions were always frizzling out as baby was still high up due to water but the actual weight of water was causing these contractions.they had to in the end put a drip on so she went through that instead of going for an induction and not suffering contractions for weeks before even being ready for birth.i can understand u want it out being polyhydromis it is very hard

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->