Induction for non-medical reasons?

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
Anyone ever been induced for non-medical reasons? My midwives generally won't induce until 41w1d but I'm considering asking for an induction earlier than that when I have my appointment tomorrow morning.

Baby boy keeps dropping down and starting labour, but for some reason, can't keep descending to keep labour going and bobs back up. Midwives won't order an ultrasound to check the cord to see if that is what is stopping him. I've had false labour 10 times since July 1. He's also posterior.

On top of that, I can't breathe properly. I feel like I'm being stabbed in the ribs every time I inhale. I have a constant pain in my back at the bottom of my rib cage and when I breathe, it feels like a knife is going through my ribs.

At the top of my bump, I feel like my muscles are literally splitting in half and I have a constant burning tingle like it's trying to heal itself.

Baby boy is likely very close to, if not over, 8lbs already and I am a tiny person, so not sure my body can handle him getting much bigger.

And my level of exhaustion and pain ad discomfort is really starting to effect my parenting and ability to properly care for my other three kids. I'm a single mom so I don't have anyone else to help. I can't bathe them anymore, and leaning into the shower to shower them off is painful and difficult. I'm falling asleep on the couch a few times a day while they are playing to watching TV, and one of my children is autistic and a flight risk, so this is dangerous, but I can't help it.

I can't sit and drive for longer than 5-10 minutes because of the back pain, so if one of them needs to be driven anywhere, for medical attention or anything else, I'm very distracted on the road by the pain.

I've never had pain, not like this, in any of my pregnancies.

I guess I'm more venting than anything, but if anyone can give me hope that they might consider inducing me a week earlier than normal, please do so.

They did a sweep at 38 weeks after my third round of false labour, and I lost a crapload of plug, had my first round of bloody show, and still sitting here pregnant and now overdue. I have also tried pumping three times, for 45 minutes each time, which gives me a good set of contractions, and then they die off. Also tried walking, orgasm, raspberry tea, spicy food, garlic, and he won't budge. He's trying to come, they have acknowledged he's trying to come, and even suggested that it's a cord issue preventing him from continuing to descend, but they won't order an ultrasound to check. They claim it's too late in the pregnancy. Could just be his posterior position, of course.

I'm not one to WANT to rush the pregnancy, but it's not getting to a point where I'm not able to properly care for my kids, because I can't help but fall asleep, and I can't bathe them, or transport them in a vehicle safely because of the pain and that's concerning to me.

You poor thing it must be frustrating and worrying. I guess you just have to really put your point across about everything you've said. As you are now overdue anyway, maybe they will make this exception. I can't believe they don't do an ultrasound. I had 2 done at 36 weeks and I've got another at 36 weeks this time x

Oh and my son wouldn't descend and kept popping up again and they didn't know why .. After an failed induction of labour I had a c section and they could see he was coming down brow first rather than head, maybe that could be why? X

I can feel him often rubbing against the top of my hip bone on my right, so I know he's having trouble too.

That sounds so rough :(. I'm in the UK so I can't comment on how likely it is that they'll agree but I hope they at least hear you out- or even better, your boy decides to come already! Is there no way you can insist they give you an ultrasound (agin, clueless on the way it works in canada)? It seems like if labour is actually starting and then stopping that often there must be a reason and surely they'd want to rule out any cord issues?!

You'd think so, but they keep refusing. I just called the labour and delivery ward itself and they told me to go in anyway and they'll assess me. Hopefully they will decide to order an ultrasound just to be safe. Two of my kids had traumatic births. One stopped breathing when he was 3 hours old, and the other has microcephaly, CP and brain damage after her traumatic birth.

It must be so miserable :( sorry I have no advice, just wanted to have a whinge that my hospital won't induce till 42w2d!

Good luck Brandi. I should hope with your history they would be taking the right measures to ensure the safest birth for your baby x

I remember seeing your othe post too the other day. It's so annoying sometimes how medical professionals kind of 'blow off' your personal concerns.

Just be your own advocate. Maybe if you annoy them enough they'll actually do something for you! I was induced with my first because they thought she'd be too big and I didn't have any medical issues associated with the pregnancy. Hope they can at least give you an US or do something for you. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->