Induction, would water birth be possible?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Cajadaem, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Cajadaem

Cajadaem Well-Known Member

Hi guys, just some advice if you would?

I am due to be induced on 20th June, and due to the amount of agony i have been in, i am contemplating a water birth, something i have never done, neither have i ever been induced.

I am due a growth scan next week and consultant appointment too, so will be asking them about this then, but thought i would pick the brains of anyone here to see if you have any advice?

I will be 38 weeks at induction, have had 3 previous natural births at 38 weeks with no complications.

I'm being induced on health and medical grounds, but nothing serious, so is water birth an option with induction? also what about epidural, would an epidural be possible with water birth (walking epidural)??

any advice would be great! :wacko:

2. J23

J23 Mummy pf 2, expecting 2

It will probably depend on your hospital. I was told by my midife that when you are induced you'll be monitored and they won't let you use the pool.

3. LadyofRohan

LadyofRohan Mummy to Éowyn

I think it's unlikely, sorry :hugs:

Usually when you are induced you are continually monitored so you will be hooked up to IVs and machines which won't allow you to get in a tub. And even with a walking epidural I don't think they'd let you either.

4. aileymouse

aileymouse Mummy to Amber & Georgia

You'll have to check with your hospital, my hospital will allow a waterbirth with induction if the drip is not needed. And no hospitals allow an epidural with a waterbirth xx

5. xsarahbellax

xsarahbellax Well-Known Member

I'd assume you wouldn't be able to have a water birth if you're induced, but it probably depends on your hospital. I'm pretty sure you can't have an epidural with a water birth though.

That's not the case, I know people that have been induced & had an epidural.

6. aileymouse

aileymouse Mummy to Amber & Georgia

Sorry Baby Brain! I meant they don't allow epidurals with a waterbirth:wacko:

7. J23

J23 Mummy pf 2, expecting 2

My sisters were induced at different hospitals and both had epidurals

8. leahsbabybump

leahsbabybump Mummy to 3

i read somewere the other day that when you are induced they have to continually monitor you so a water birth would be out of the question unfortunatly that was my plan of action but no signs of my bubs yet hopefully she hurries along :-/

9. loobylou29

loobylou29 Well-Known Member

i was induced with my daughter and was only monitored until i was in active labour and then they took the monitors off so i could move about etc so i assume as long as things were progressing ok then a water birth would b possible. and epi is definately on the cards as i had 1 :o) xxx