Infant Gaviscon.

Nat

Reaction score
Gabriel has reflux which was getting steadily worse, so the doctor prescribed infant Gaviscon for him. It's working ok but not great. I'm going to take him back to the Dr. next week when the Gaviscon runs out. However he isn't pooing as much as usual and when he does it's sometimes very dry. Has anyone else found this with Gaviscon? He used to poo a lot. Every nappy would have some in and now he seems to go all day with maybe only one. The insert said that side effects are rare so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Bella has quite solid poo's now she's on gaviscon as well. I guess its because it thickens the milk so makes it a lot harder to digest?

Gaviscon contains a large quantity of sodium (salt) which absorbs liquids thus the dry solid poop.There are many other reflux medicines without sodium like Zantac syrup or Losec tablets.

Dont get me started on this..........

My daughter now 2.5 had severe reflux since she was 3 months old, was on infant gaviscon, sma stay down and suppositries-the gaviscon and stay down made her badly constipated...that badly constipated that....

she is still under a paediatrician as she cant poo without the help off just under a litre of lactulose a day and senna! If she didnt take that she wouldnt poo for up to 11 days then would bleed lots from back passage. Reflux is fine now but she has been left with this lasting problem due to these medicines making her bowels lazy.

So please keep on at the Dr to get something else as I hate Gaviscon!

Good luck xxxx

my lil one is on gaviscon im worrying now ive read these posts hes only been on it a week and has made a difference allthough you can tell he still gets slight pain from his reflux and is still sick but not as much, he seems to poo just a much though but it has gone more thicker where it used to be really runny lol xxx

Morgan was prescribed Gaviscon yesterday, so has been on it for 24 hours, and to be honest I haven't seen any sort of improvement yet... but I guess it's early days????

But like Coz, I'm also worried now after reading this thread. My GP did say to me though if there wasn't any improvement after a few days to go back and he would refer her to a paediatrician.

How quickly would we see it working? Also, can I ask if any of you are using it and formula feeding, are you mixing it into their bottles as it's suggested? Do you find it mixes in ok? Only I seem to find a lot of it settles around the bottle, so I'm not totally convinced she's getting it all properly? I'm considering giving it to her separately as if she was BF?

It's so hard to know what to do for the best, especially when it's so heartbreaking to see her in so much pain and watching her choking/not catching her breath several times a day.
:cry:

I find it sticks to the sides of the bottles also tabs. Looks as if she isn't getting the full amount but no amount of mixing will dissolve it. Am definitely gonna request something else as she has managed to get a small tear when she pooped and it was bleeding slightly due to her solid poo.

Hi everyone,
My baby of 3 months has been given Gaviscon by doctor yesterday afternoon, she has had 3 bottles that she has kept down and just threw up a whole bottle, does it take a few days to work ? I am worried she may not be able to take it and doing more harm than good, but maybe its just early days
Thanks
Laura
x

I gice Oliver his gaviscon before every feed, with 15mls of water. Then between feeds, I give 1oz of water and this really helps his poops. (Thanks Jem for this tip!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->