inguinal hernia

buttonnose82

Wife & Mummy
Reaction score
Did anyone's LO have a inguinal hernia?

My little dudes only got disnosed in june, he saw the surgeon almost 3 weeks ago and I got a letter for his surgery this morning :( it is 2 weeks on friday, I am scared stiff, it seems so unfair after all he has been through so far. I know they can be common in premature babies so figured I'd ask here for advice/reassurance

Hi there, my little man got diagnosed with an inguinal hernia three weeks after we got him home. He was taken straight to the children's hospital and booked in for surgery. We went in on the Friday night. We were told the op wasn't considered an emergency so any emergencies would be put in front of us. He finally had the op on the Monday night and he was allowed home on the Tuesday afternoon. He had a small dressing which came off by itself in the bath after a couple of days and the healing process was very quick. He now has a tiny scar which is barely noticeable.
The op is carried out under general anaesthetic so he will be fasted prior to the procedure. He will have one/two cannulas fitted for fluids and the anaesthetic. I believe our recovery time in hospital was very quick and it depends on the baby's reaction to anaesthetic so you may have a slightly longer stay afterwards.
Tried to put everything in here but if you have any questions feel free to pm me x

Thanks hun :)

he is booked just on the day ward, he has to be in no later than 7.30am and *should* be discharged the same day but have been told to take an overnight back just in case. He is breastfed and they said he can't have anything after 4am so I plan on setting my alarm for 3.30am and I'll give him a top up feed then.

what do you do regarding pain relief?? I was told they will inject the area with local pain killer after the surgery so when he wakes he won't have pain, but what about when that wears off?

Does the car seat straps interfere with the surgary area at all or are they ok?

Hi!

My little fella was born at 29weeks and after being in the neonatal unit for 2 months he was found to have a hernia after being at home less than 2 weeks! That was back in April and he has his operation this past Thursday for it. Like you I was terrified about it, but it honestly wasnt as bad as i thought. As he has chronic lung disease and has only been off oxygen a couple of months they were worried that he might have to be ventillated and taken to a hospital 60 miles away. Luckily that didnt happen, his dad was allowed to go in with him while they gave him the gas to send him to sleep and about 30 mins later the surgeon came out to tell us it was all done with and fine.
I was really expecting him to be so grumpy and in such a lot of pain afterwards, but the biggest thing was he was just starving, so after we gave him some food he slept most of the day. Due to his history we had to stay in over night, but by that evening (his op was done about 9am) he was back to his usual happy smiling self. We got given some paracetamol but he hasnt needed it and there is no bruising or anything so far! It really is amazing how well babies cope with this stuff.
Anyways, i hope that makes you feel a little better about whats to come. I hope everything goes well and your LO makes a very speedy recovery :)

Oh and to add, i was worried about the car seat hurting him, but I got told that theyre fine and that was indeed the case. Infact where his cut is, it looks like nappies should really hurt it but he doesnt seem phased by that either.

Hi sorry just back on now. Alex had paracetamol afterwards but didn't need anything to take home. They said if he was unsettled just to give him calpol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->