Inheritance - time frames?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound money-grabbing, but my father passed away in December. I was the sole benefactor and as such, was told it would be pretty swift to get things sorted out.

House was put on the market at the beginning of March and sold almost immediately. Probate went through in April, house sale was completed in the beginning of May.

I have been waiting since then to hear from the solicitor. I have called him twice to make sure that things are progressing and all I keep being told is that 'utilities still need sorting out' and once they're done we'll know how much and when I'll get my money - still unsure as to exactly how much even but that's a whole other issue lol :dohh:. I've allowed him 6 weeks since our initial conversation just after the house sale completed. I called him at the beginning of June and there was still no update so he said to give him another call if I hadn't heard from him by the end of June, which is next week. I haven't heard a bean.

I realise that there's still time, and you never know, a cheque may arrive tomorrow. It's not about the actual money, it's about making sure that all the loose ends are tied up, and the solicitor is actually doing as they're being instructed.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What kind of timescale am I on or has it already taken too long? I'm confused as to what's taking so long, but I'm loathe to start pestering as they're likely to just grind to a complete halt in protest. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

It could be totally different in the UK, but out here probate and all those details can take MONTHS. In California (where I'm at) I've heard it can take a year or more at times. :(

If you don't hear from him or get a check in the mail soon, I'd call next week and ask specifically what is going on. What is the hold up, what are the next steps, what can you do to finish this up, etc. Let him know you want all the information to make sure this goes smoothly and quickly.

I'm so sorry about your dad. :hugs:

Sorry to hear this hun :flow:

I do know that these things can take forever to tie up. I waited months and months to hear anything re. my husband's life insurance.

I hope things can be finalised soon xx

What's annoying me is:

1. all the 'official' stuff is done. He didn't have a lot. Probate is complete, house is sold and completed. It's all little things like paying off the electricity company and things like that. They're bloody quick enough to demand money off you when you're alive....so why has this taken nearly 2 months already? :shrug:

2. I'm the one who's had to do all the chasing. My brother was executor, so once the house sold and probate was complete that's his side of things done and dusted. He and I aren't close at all, but he's no longer got any interest in helping out/dealing with the solicitors. I'm 4 hours away from where the solicitors are (they're in Stafford, I'm near Norwich) so everything has to be done by phone. The solicitor has NEVER phoned me. I got more out of the estate agent when the house was selling....they were great!

I guess I'm just frustrated as I'm really still coming to terms with Dad passing, and just want him to be able to rest peacefully. Last thing I want is this dragging out, especially when all the complicated legal stuff is actually finished with. I fail to see what the hold up is :shrug:

When my grandad passed away it should have pretty straight forward. Everything to be divided 50/50 between his 2 daughters. There wasn't a house to sell because he'd already sold it when alive and moved into rented accommadation to be closer to us in his final days. But it still took about a year for my mum and aunty to recieve the money.

Dunno how it is in the UK but it was months after my grandma died before my inheritance came through. Seems a bit weird that its taking so long if its just bill paying left to do, I suggest you call and ask.

I'd ask for a breakdown of what they are doing......you are the client and if your paying fees surely you should be kept up to date. I'm house selling and my solicitor emails regularly and sent a breakdown of his charges so I know what the fees have played for. X

definitely chase him up. If its just utilities......then as of the date the house sold all readings would be taken and bills paid. end of.

At the moment that money is sitting in the law firms account (I'm not sure if it gains interest or not)and not yours.

You say he didn't have much, so it sounds straight forward.

My dad has said he has made all his finances a mess so that it costs my mum so much in fees to sort it all out she will have nothing left - - lovely man eh!

For my grandad's, fairly similar, after the house sold it took another 8 months to clear up.

However it took me sending my dad in to rear up on them, lo and behold I had the money 6 days later. The more they fanny about, the more they get paid.

My nan passed in February, the house was sold in May, my mum and Aunty got the money into there accounts the day after the house contracts were exchanged and completed and us grandchildren got our cheques a few days later.

Really mixed bag by the sounds of it.

I'm going to call them Thursday (out of the house all day Friday) and see what's going on. It's all rather frustrating....guess it'll take as long as it takes, but I'm determined to get some more information this time. I think I've been pretty patient!

It took around 6 months with my aunts will. I think its still within the time frame.

Mine took about 3 months to sort and mine was unclaimed for years (about 12 ) though. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->