Insight?

Ashley1021

Pregnant with my first!
Reaction score
I've developed mastitis and my baby will no longer latch. I've tried pumping but it's just too painful. He's been on formula for about a week, but they want me to keep pumping. They don't understand I want to be done, I want my milk dried up. They've gone as far as giving me Vicodin to make it not hurt so I can pump. I don't take it because it makes me high and unable to care for my baby. They just don't understand I want to be done

They want you to pump to clear the clogged ducts which is causing the mastitis. You need to do this or it could turn into an abscess.
After you have cleared that that you can try and slowly have your body dry up. You need to do it slowly so you don't mastitis again.

You could try cabbage leaves for your mastitis
) Stuff your bra with cabbage leaves.

As unusual as it may seem, a raw cabbage leaf placed in the bra over the infection will work wonders in soothing the inflamed breast. A cool cabbage leaf acts as a cold compress to reduce inflammation. This cabbage treatment not only relieves breast tenderness, but also helps to unclog the milk duct to flush the infection

Learn more: https://www.naturalnews.com/034792_mastitis_breastfeeding_natural_remedies.html#ixzz3GQGxubSb

And then you can work towards drying up. You could reduce the amount of times you pump slowly so that your supply slowly decreases and avoid mastitis. You can try herbs such as peppermint (suck on them throughout the day. They are known to help decrease milk.

Who is "they"?

Whoever it is, it sounds like they just want the best for your baby. However, if you're 100% sure you want to give up on breastfeeding, then just flat out tell them. If it's a doctor or nurse telling you this, then just stop making appointments.

You need to clear the duct before you take steps to stop. So you either need LO to clear it (most effective) or use the pump. You can just use Ibuprofen for the pain and swelling if you are not happy with the Vicodin. I am guessing you are just pumping and dumping so don't have to worry about any effect on LO, so use both Ibuprofen and paracetamol/tylenol if you are in dire pain.

As pp said, if you leave the blockage there it can turn into an abcess and make you very sick and have to go to hospital. It sucks to be that sick and away from your LO (you won't be able to care for her due to the pain and illness).

So, hot compress before pumping, cold compress after pumping. Massage the lump in a hot shower, some people rake the lump with a comb. Take your AB's.

Before pumping or feeding LO massage the areola in big circles to remove any congestion that is there so the milk can move freely through there and it is less painful for you. This will also help with latching for LO if you choose to let her clear it for you.

Lots and lots of rest. Once you have been well for a couple weeks then you can look at stopping. You can just reduce the length of time you pump or drop a pump each couple of days to stop.

Yes they are the doctors. I had to go due to fever and vomiting from the infection. Formula feeding is what's best for ME and my baby. I understand the benefits of breast feeding, but it's not worth my sanity. However I chose to feed my baby, he is getting fed. Thanks to the ladies with helpful insight. I will reduce slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->