Insurance Breast Pump?

A

amjon

I stopped at the insurance office and asked about coverage for breast pumps since it's now required. I was told they only cover a manual pump. How do they expect that to work with trying to pump for twins? Does anyone's insurance cover an electric pump at 100% or are they only required to cover the manual one? It just seems there is no point in covering anything if they only cover the one that you can get for less than $20.

I can get a manual one too...that's all my insurance will cover.

Mine covers an electric one but only up to $75. I was surprised and happy to find this out. Doesn't help much though because i bought my pump with my son and insurance didn't cover it then. Oh well.

My insurance covers the electric. I'm with you, that's not going to help you with twins.

Many insurances are doing the least they can to comply. Mine had sooo much red tape to go through, and only
One cheap model available, it wasn't worth it for me. I ll just use my old ones and/or buy a new one

Mine said hospital grade rental only for 10 months! It's ridiculous that there isn't a set standard. I did end up getting a Medella through my husband's insurance fully covered though. So it is possible. I'd talk to the medical supply companies in your area. First see what they carry and then ask them about submitting it to your insurance. If you're going to buy one anyway, you might as well TRY to get the insurance to pay that way.

Good luck.

My friend who is on her husbands Blue Cross Blue Shield got a Medela electric. She called the medical supply company and they took her insurance. So if you call around - you'll probably find a company that takes your insurance for an electric depending on what kind of insurance you have. I'm on Medicaid because I couldn't get on hubs Aetna so mine will probably only cover a manual

I have United Healthcare and they gave me contact information for 3 suppliers I could choose from (Byram, Edgepark, and I forget the third). Each supplier had different pumps (single/double and manual/electric) and are all covered at 100% but I have to wait until I actually have the baby.

My insurance will cover 90% of any pump (I bought the Avent double electric) or rentals for a hospital grade one. Like pp said, a manual pump is the bare minimum so it depends on the insurance. Sorry :(

It depends on the insurance company. Many are only covering manuals (bare minimum requirements), while others are covering top of the line electric. I had the unfortunate experience of discovering that not all insurance plans HAVE to provide coverage--there are certain employee plans that qualify to be "grandfathered" into the new healthcare act regulations and they are not required to cover breastpumps at all--my DH's ins, that I am on, is one of those "grandfathered" plans--ticks me off as it is otherwise a really great plan, we get nearly 100% of everything covered, so I was shocked to discover there was no coverage at all for a breast pump!

My insurance covers me 100% up to $500 and I can whatever kind I want, so naturally I'll go with electric. I'm going to start looking soon and then submit for the reimbursement. I couldn't image a manual with twins either, sorry :(

I have priority health & they cover the full cost of an electric pump but I have to purchase it through a medical supply store with a written prescription starting a diagnosis of lactating mother so I have to wait until baby's born. I didn't realize the rules were so all over the place

My insurance (Anthem Blue Cross) covers an electric pump 100%. They have given me a few options... Medela, Playtex, and Ameda. I can order up to a month before baby is here, no prescription needed, although I do need to order from a medical supply company.

I stopped at the insurance office and asked about coverage for breast pumps since it's now required. I was told they only cover a manual pump. How do they expect that to work with trying to pump for twins? Does anyone's insurance cover an electric pump at 100% or are they only required to cover the manual one? It just seems there is no point in covering anything if they only cover the one that you can get for less than $20.

I am with BCBS and they covered a dual electric pump for me. That said, it there are so many plans within BCBS ... I am sure that others may have limitations. :-/

I have Arizona BCBS, and unfortunately, my plan is grandfathered in and is not required to cover breast pumps. My husband and I are switching jobs (and insurance) 2 months after our baby is born, so we are holding out on buying an electric pump in the hopes that we can get one through the new insurance. In the mean time, I'll probably use a manual.

Mine said hospital grade rental only for 10 months! It's ridiculous that there isn't a set standard. I did end up getting a Medella through my husband's insurance fully covered though. So it is possible. I'd talk to the medical supply companies in your area. First see what they carry and then ask them about submitting it to your insurance. If you're going to buy one anyway, you might as well TRY to get the insurance to pay that way.

Good luck.

Mine does a 10 month rental, but after 10 rental payments the pump is payed for. That means if you don't use it for 10 months, you have to send it back, but if you use it at least 10 months it is yours.

I have United Healthcare and they gave me contact information for 3 suppliers I could choose from (Byram, Edgepark, and I forget the third). Each supplier had different pumps (single/double and manual/electric) and are all covered at 100% but I have to wait until I actually have the baby.

Actually I have UHC too and they said within 60 days of due date, but I had a NICU baby and got the hospital grade pump, which required a Rx because I obviously didnt expect NICU!!

My insurance (Anthem Blue Cross) covers an electric pump 100%. They have given me a few options... Medela, Playtex, and Ameda. I can order up to a month before baby is here, no prescription needed, although I do need to order from a medical supply company.

I have the same (Anthem) and got the Medela and was SHOCKED that the Health Plan is paying $515 for a $300 pump (price at Target)! These DME vendors really are a racket!

Didn't realize I was so lucky with Anthem's coverage I thought the mandate would require more than a manual pump.

Im on my husbands insurance and they said I can get the Medela electric double pump that I want... 100% covered. I def cant imagine using a manual at all, let alone with my twins.

i have united healthcare, and they're covering the ameda purely yours electric 100%. it will arrive at my house 5 days after baby's birth.
i can't believe they would only provide a manual for twins!! terrible.

I have Coventry and work for a huge freaking Catholic hospital systrm and my insurance covers $50. It sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->