interrupted IVC, Left Atrial Isomerism , possible gut malrotation etc

amelia26

Reaction score
On the off chance someone else's baby has been diagnosed with this:

A cardiac scan at 20 weeks showed interrupted ivc - which means baby is missing one of the veins to the heart (the inferior vena cava). They also think she might have left atrial isomerism - which means she has two left atria, rather than a left and a right.

The Interrupted IVC itself isn't a problem as another has compensated and the blood is flowing ok.

The isomerism sometimes can result in heart rhythm problems which, if severe, can cause hydrops.

So far the heart rhythm looks fine.

Interrupted IVC is also often associated with other abnormalities such as heart defects, malrotation of the gut and problems with the liver and gallbladder. So far no other abnormalities have been seen on the scan.

I will have regular scans and baby will have scans after birth. It's all a bit if an unknown at the moment. She could be completely ok or have very serious problems and e won't know for sure until after birth.

I could have written your post... I am a mom of a 3 YO boy and expecting a baby girl for end of August diagnosed with Left atrial isomerism, IVC, and bilateral SVC.
Waiting for my next Fetal echo (next Wednesday) to find out more. I was also informed of the possible complications (absence of spleen, gut malrotation, ...). Everything makes me very nervous for my baby girl.
When are you due?

Oh wow. I wasn't exipecting any and replies, let alone so similar. Sorry you're in the same boat. I'm due 31st August, so very close to you.
I had my follow up cardiac echo and growth scans on Tuesday and it's looking good. No additional findings. I've got growth scans at 32 and 36 weeks but no further cardiac echos as apparently it's harder to see after 28 weeks and they are very happy with the images so far.
She will have further scans after birth of course, to check heart, gut and to check for polysplenia.

So far her heart function is looking normal.

Where are you based out of interest?

Good luck for Wednesday. X x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"