Intro + Transitioning off BC

Sakura15

Reaction score
Hello all :)

I started introducing myself in bits on a couple of the sticky threads, but perhaps it's better to just make a new thread? I also have some questions about transitioning off BC in preparation for TTC...

I am 28 and my OH is 36. We have been together 4 years and moved to China from the Caribbean a year and a half ago. Now that our life and finances are stable, we are planning to TTC in August. I'll also complete my Masters' coursework by then. I am a teacher and I truly hope I can start my maternity leave in term 3, and roll it into summer. Or, have the summer off in my bigger months and then take maternity at the start of the school year. I know you can't depend on timing being exact, but one can hope! The extra time would really help as I am considering having the baby in the UK (where I'm a citizen). If that doesn't pan out it would be okay here as healthcare in our city is quite good.

I was on various pills for 10 years, never quite settling on 'the one' that I felt 100% comfortable with - although I'm not sure if such a form of BC exists! I got pregnant unexpectedly last March while on the pill (but I had started the pack late that month). Emotions were mixed. I wanted so much to have a baby, but hated feeling so out of control - it just didn't feel like the best time. OH wasn't angry but definitely not ready. Just when we came to grips with being pregnant, and started planning and exploring options for making it work, I lost the pregnancy. I was absolutely devastated. OH was incredibly supportive, but it upset me even more that he didn't want to TTC right away. I so wanted that baby, I felt being pregnant again would be the only thing to counteract the loss.

It took some time but I have a more positive outlook on things now. I am glad for the opportunity for both of us to be fully prepared. I look forward to the day that those 2 lines bring us nothing but joy!

I got the Mirena coil last July for greater security and it has been great. Now we are planning to TTC in August, giving me about 6 months. I've been paying better attention to my health as well - better diet, running, pilates, more water. I can't really remember what my body is like with no hormones. I'm trying to decide when to take the coil out, and what I should do to optimise my fertility by August. Supposedly there shouldn't be a long wait for normal cycles once the Mirena is out because the dose of hormones is so low, but we're all different so who knows.

So I'm thinking I'll get it out in April and have 3 full cycles to chart BBT and CM before August. I'm also researching supplements that might aid hormonal regulation, like Evening Primrose Oil.

I don't really want to confide our plans to TTC to any friends or family but definitely need an outlet for all these thoughts and questions, without driving my OH crazy in the meantime. From browsing the posts it seems like this forum is quite supportive, and I am happy to join and support others on their journey as well!

Is anyone else hoping for a particular time of year? Any other teachers out there? Anyone living abroad? What do you do to optimise your health? Any recommendations for charts or trackers? Does it make sense to start tracking now at all, or should I just wait til after the Mirena is out? Anyone using any particular supplements besides prenatal vitamins? How have you transitioned (or how are you planning to transition) off of your BC? Are these too many questions?? Haha, sorry! I'm quite excited to have a month set but so much I want to know!

Welcome Sakura!

I want to firstly say that I am sorry for your loss. :hugs:

I don't have much advice as I've not ever been on BC, hopefully someone else can chime in on that. You have made some positive lifestyle changes and I hope it doesn't take you long to get your BFP once you start TTC.

Personally I am taking vitamin B complex, vit. E, as well as a calcium with vit. D supplement.

Fertility Friend seems to be a fairly popular chart tracker. I'm old school and just do paper charting.

We are also WTT until August in hopes of delivering a summer baby-it would be great to transition over to TTC boards with you.

Welcome!

How exciting that you've lived in different places like the Caribbean and China. What brought you there? I don't live abroad (I am abroad from you not not abroad from my childhood home) but I dream of that all day long. I feel like I need to experience something! My husband is Egyptian and I was planning on living there a couple years in 2006ish but it didn't work out that way and I left after 7 months. I still have this deep desire to spend a few years there, even with the kids but when we settle into life and routine, it becomes so hard to make such a huge change.

I don't know have much experience with the coil but from some anectotal evidence, things can go back to normal quite fast once removed! 3 months before TTC sounds very reasonable. I wouldn't waste any time and effort temping or charting before then though, it would probably raise more questions and there are simply no "answers" to be had by doing it (like knowing when you are fertile and all that).

I'm on the message board as someone not sure whether we should expand the family or not. BUT if I decide that I want to have another, I really wish to avoid giving birth right before summer or anytime during summer. This is more for my own convenience and selfish wants based on a 50 week maternity leave lol. I don't want to "miss" any of the potential summer off work with recuperation from giving birth and the hard weeks of that early newborn phase. I want to be able to spend the whole of it feeling good and being out and about every day doing activities with my baby. I had just the most amazing summer when I had my son. He was old enough to enjoy watching things and I was adjusted enough as a mom to just breastfeed him wherever whenever. When would you hope to have your baby? :)

Thanks, busytulip. I'm going to start a general women's multivitamin for now and take a look at fertility friend. Looking forward to your company on TTC :)

50 weeks is pretty sweet, CandiceSj. I get 10 paid and 5 unpaid, so a couple months before my summer break would be ideal. Your reasons for avoiding summer make sense too though :)

I've been teaching in international schools for a few years. I've picked based on the jobs moreso than the places, and so far so good! Sorry things didn't work for you in Egypt. I can only imagine what it's like moving abroad with kids. So many of my colleagues have done it, and of course it's feasible when well-planned, but I'm hoping we stay put for a while once we start a family. Still it can be a great experience for kids from what I see. Maybe one day you'll follow the dream. YOLO - as my kids say; -)

You're quite right about the limited information charting now would give me. I just might do it for my last cycle on BC just to test drive the discipline, cause I do have my doubts about whether or not I can really keep it up! I ordered a thermometer and opks online last night, just to get set for April so we'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->