Introducing baby Aidan + birth story :)

kayleigh_jane

Reaction score
Hi ladies :)

Aidan Patrick was born on 21 September at 12:58pm after a 32 hour labour! We are both at home and happy and healthy. He weighs 8lb 5 ounces and is 48cm long.

My water broke on the morning of the 20th and contractions started a few hours later. I laboured at home for about 12 hours and when the midwife came over to check me and I was still only 2-3cms dilated, we decided to head into hospital. I was getting chest pains which in hind sight was just anxiety, but it was scary at the time! I think that really prolonged the labour.

At the hospital, they gave me a shot of morphine to try to take the edge off the contractions, but it really just made me sick. An hour later I still hadn't made any progress and my heart rate was over 160 (it's usually quite high but not like that!) so my midwife suggested I get an epidural to try to bring my heart rate down and speed up the labour. I was really against it beforehand, but when she suggested it I was happy to take whatever I could to speed things up!

It took effect for about half an hour, in which time I was able to get some rest (although still woke up through contractions). In that 30 minutes, I went from 4cm to 10cm dilated! The midwife didn't believe me when I said I needed to push, so checked and I was right - fully dilated! It was such an exciting feeling knowing that I'd see my baby soon!

The pushing took a LONG time. My notes have it recorded as 3 hours and 15 minutes of pushing. His head was crowning for a long time and I ended up needing an episiotomy to get him out. I was scared of that and really didn't want it when they said they would have to do it, but it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought. He came out in the next push after that, and was put straight onto my chest. It's such a blur, but I remember feeling so much joy and relief at that moment - they really need to find a way to bottle up that emotion! There's nothing like it.

The placenta came out fairly quickly after that and my little boy was still on my chest. Daddy cut the cord and we both spent a few moments looking at our little man's face and saying how lucky we were.

Once the placenta was delivered I started bleeding a lot and had a PPH. I lost almost 2 litres of blood and had to be rushed off to surgery :( Aidan and daddy had cuddles for a couple of hours while they worked on me. I had some membranes that had remained in my uterus which meant that it couldn't contract back properly. They were able to remove them manually in surgery though and after an hour or so in recovery I was wheeled back to my boys. Honestly the worst part of that ordeal was having to leave my new tiny baby. But we're both fine now and home from the hospital. He's sleeping soundly on my chest at the moment :)

It certainly wasn't the natural water birth that I had planned, but I don't care. I have my baby now and that's all that matters! He is so perfect, we can't stop looking at him and taking photos!

Aidan's birth had some scary turns, but I would do it again every day for the rest of my life for this little boy. I wish every one of you a very happy and healthy pregnancy, birth and bubba. Thank you so much for the support you've given me over the past few months! And I look forward to seeing you all in baby club soon! xxx

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 22
Ooh love that last pic. Very cute. Congrats. Xx

Awwww what a cutie!! Congrats and well done! Sounds very eventful, but all worth it :hugs: xxxxxxxx

Congratulations :)...he's lovely..x

Congrats, he's gorgeous! How are you feeling?

Thank you! I feel absolutely fine now, was sore for a couple of days but no pain anymore :) xx

Wow, that's amazing! That's great you recovered so well! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->