Introducing baby rice

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Shri, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Shri

Shri Well-Known Member

I'm going to give it a go and see if it helps. Oscar has been acting like a starvin marvin for a while now and I'm getting so exhausted trying to keep up.

I thought I'd offer him a bit of baby rice around his tea time feed but not sure whether to do so before or after he breastfeeds. If I give it before he might take less milk and if I give it after he might be too full from the milk. It's a conundrum.

Then I thought I'd do the usual bath and bf before bed.

What does everyone else do?

2. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

Try to give him a tad less milk like example if he drinks 6oz in one feed give him 5 oz and some baby rice ..

One thing about baby rice is it can constipate ..so I would suggest some baby oatmeal much easier on the tummy ..but each baby is diff so just try it :)

3. Shri

Shri Well-Known Member

Hmm. We bf so I guess I would just shorten that feed?

4. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

do it before u bf then top the rice up with a bf.

i no u r supposed to start them with afew spoons of rice but zane eat a hole bowl his first feed n never went back lol

5. Michy

Michy Mum and Preggo

I've read that you should always offer the milk first and offer solids as extras, especially when weaning early.

For Alfie, he has BM at 7pm then baby porridge at 8pm straight in the bath, then a top up bottle of BM at about 9pm and then he is out like a light till I dream feed him at 12pm. So I guess I offer it between feeds at the moment.

Alfie likes his food tho, so we have no problems getting it down him, he polishes of a whole bowl!!!:rofl:

Good luck!

6. MaryJ

MaryJ Mom of 1 soon to be 2!

Can you express a feed and mix it with the rice cereal and feed it to him in a bottle?