IPS ultrasound anyone?

Anaconda

Reaction score
With my first I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was like 17 weeks... that's a very long story, lol.

Anyways, I get to start from the beginning with this one.

I'm in the process of booking an IPS ultrasound (with no luck because the place doesn't no who's doing it the week I need to go! So frustrating!).

Anyways, has anyone else gone for an IPS instead of just your normal 12 week scan? I always thought that's what I would be going for but the only thing she is having me done is an IPS one (with blood work to follow). And by the time I see my doctor again I'll be like 14-15 weeks, so I'll probably do a 18-20 week scan after that appointment.

I'm a little confused as to why I'd be sent for that. Is it mandatory? It's not like I'm above 35... I'm 19! I don't know if I want to find out if my baby has Down Syndrome or not :/ And it's not because I wouldn't love the baby if it did. My step sister and cousin both have Down Syndrome and I love them both so much. I just don't want to hear "positive" when it isn't, you know?

I've thought about just not going, but at the same time I really want to see my baby on the screen :(

IPS is basically an indepth prenatal scan. What they do is they do the ultrasound to see for any excess fluid build up around the neck and then take blood work. Basically looking for extra chromosomes that could cause downs syndrome and others. They will give you a probability of baby being born with or without it. I opted out of it, as I didn't see nay reason to get, however, OH got mad and wanted me to do it.

I got for my ultrasound and blood work when I'm 12 weeks 5 days. You have a window between 11 - 14 weeks to get it down. It's also a good chance to see how baby is grown. I haven't seen baby since week 7, and wouldn't have until week 18 or 20.

I don't think it's necessary either, but at the same time, I really do want to see my baby :) I haven't seen or heard a heart beat, so when I go (which I am supposed to do during the week of the 12th) I mostly just want to see the baby and heart beat.

That's how I'm looking at it !

I was surprised that my doctor said I wouldn't go for another one until between 18-20 weeks, when the first one I had was at 7 weeks. I would've gone mental not being able to see it for another 10 weeks or so.

hi is tht the scan they check for downs were i am thts 12weeks an bloods too. I had sighn concent form. This is third preg an i am only 22 had extra scans wi second due having severe pre e in labour with first an my bp raised last 10 weeks with second.

I'm going in for a similar scan but its called a nuchal translucency scan here in WA. I am only 22 but my doctor offered it to me and said that he offers it to everyone in the first trimester. I guess I'm spoiled because my doctor has bedside ultrasounds in his office so I get one each visit instead of the doppler reading for the heartbeat. It's nice to check in on baby each visit.

I was told I wouldn't be getting another u/s until week 20 unless I did a NT scan so I'm trying to talk hubby into agreeing to it so we can see baby again!:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->