Irish names?

B

BabyDinoMummy

Ok still struggling with boys names... Back story... OH loves Maxwell, me I like it but not in love with it, I feel like I'm more settling for it because I give up trying to find something I like. Anyway I've switched my attention more to Irish names, as I am half Irish but my name isn't very Irish I kinda want to get the Irish roots back in my family. So the few names I do like are...

Aodhan (Aiden) pronounced Aye-den although my OH's nephew is called Aiden.
Ailby (Alby) pronounced All-bay
Ardan pronounced Are-dawn
Cahal pronounced Ka-hul
Cian (Kian) pronounced Key-in/Key-un
Cillian (Killian) pronounced Kil-e-un
Lochlan Lok-lun
Kylan pronounced Kai-lun
Connor
Finn
Liam
Niall

Any opinions or favourites? Surname is Clarke and one middle name will definitely be John/Jonathan.

I would avoid anything where you had to explain the pronunciation, your child will not thank you for the lifelong hassle of that

I like Alby but I would spell it without the 'i' which makes it look like Ale-by

Ardan isnt too bad the pronunciation wont always be right but it will at least be close

these should pretty much be pronounced right:

Kylan
Cian (Kian)
Cillian (Killian)
Lochlan

these are pretty normal name:

Connor
Finn
Liam
Niall

what about:

Niall Finn
Alby Lochlan
Ardan John

We're calling our boy Flynn :) We had Ailbhe on our list for a girl which is similar to Ailby so I like that. I also like Cian, Connor and Finn.

The only ones I don't really like are Cillian and Kylan. I wouldn't like having 'kill' in my babies name and Kylan reminds me of Rylan :shrug:

I personally wouldn't go for a name that he has to spend his whole life correcting the spelling/pronunciation of.

From your list I really like Lochlan, Cian and kylan in that order :)

Lochlan John
Cian Jonathan
Kylan John

All sound nice to me :)

I love Irish names.

I say who cares if others who are not Irish cannot pronounce the name because they dont know the dialect. Isn't that the point you want to make, bringing back the Irish into your family?

I think you have a great list.

I would just avoid Aiden. Because on paper they are spelt differently, they really are pronounced the same. Correct me if I am wrong but would OH's nephew not be your nephew, therefore two cousins would have the same name?

Thanks girls, my favourites I think are Kylan, Ailby and Ardan :) I only put pronunciations so you girls would know how to read them, least in day to day life people can hear the name

Yes they would be cousins I guess, technically not my nephew as we're not married or even engaged but yes I guess you're right.

I love Irish names.

I say who cares if others who are not Irish cannot pronounce the name because they dont know the dialect. Isn't that the point you want to make, bringing back the Irish into your family?

I would just avoid Aiden. Because on paper they are spelt differently, they really are pronounced the same. Correct me if I am wrong but would OH's nephew not be your nephew, therefore two cousins would have the same name?

the child will - do you have any idea how annoying it is to constantly correct people?... very, very few people speak Irish (90% of my family are Irish and most wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce several of the very 'Irish' names) why put your kids through that

I am leaning more towards Kylan or Ardan... OH isn't too keen on Ailby but he likes the other two.

I think we're going with Kylan Noah John & Ardan Max John :)

Ok still struggling with boys names... Back story... OH loves Maxwell, me I like it but not in love with it, I feel like I'm more settling for it because I give up trying to find something I like. Anyway I've switched my attention more to Irish names, as I am half Irish but my name isn't very Irish I kinda want to get the Irish roots back in my family. So the few names I do like are...

Aodhan (Aiden) pronounced Aye-den although my OH's nephew is called Aiden.
Ailby (Alby) pronounced All-bay
Ardan pronounced Are-dawn
Cahal pronounced Ka-hul
Cian (Kian) pronounced Key-in/Key-un
Cillian (Killian) pronounced Kil-e-un
Lochlan Lok-lun
Kylan pronounced Kai-lun
Connor
Finn
Liam
Niall

Any opinions or favourites? Surname is Clarke and one middle name will definitely be John/Jonathan.

i love Kylan, its beaaaautiful!
i like finn too - possibly because i love the name Flynn and it reminds me of it :haha:

have you thought about Kellin? (or Kellan) it sounds irish, but im not sure if it is or not haha xx

Thanks hun, we thought that it gives him the option to use Kye if he wanted too... Which is a name both me and my OH like as well so we wouldn't mind :)

Thanks hun, we thought that it gives him the option to use Kye if he wanted too... Which is a name both me and my OH like as well so we wouldn't mind :)

i love Kye, i always wanted Kai on my list but my OH hates it.
naming this baby would be alot easier without his imput :rofl:

i forced him into the pram choice though so i cant really grind him down on names :haha:

wow i sound like a bitch :winkwink: xx

i forced him into the pram choice though so i cant really grind him down on names :haha:

Not at all! You sound a bit like me :winkwink: :haha:

i feel like we'd get on really well!
where are you from?! xx

where are you from?! xx

I'm from Cheltenham in the UK but now live in Bristol :) x

I love Irish names.

the child will - do you have any idea how annoying it is to constantly correct people?... very, very few people speak Irish (90% of my family are Irish and most wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce several of the very 'Irish' names) why put your kids through that

I do have an idea...thanks for asking.

where are you from?! xx

bloody miles away then! im from near leeds x

where are you from?! xx

bloody miles away then! im from near leeds x

Is a bit isn't it :( :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics