Iron levels at 31 weeks MW appt?

Smudge101

Reaction score
I had my 31 week appt today and all is well with baby but she said the bloods I had taken at 28 weeks showed my iron had dropped to 11.4.

She did say it was normal at this stage and should have risen by the time she retests at 36 weeks. In the meantime I need to remember to take my prenatals and eat more iron rich foods.

Does anyone know just how low 11.4 is and what is a 'normal' level?

11.4 isn't low really and most midwives wouldn't comment on a hb level of 11.4. According to nice guidelines a hb level below 10.5 at 28 weeks requires treatment of ferrous sulphate, so yours is ok for delivery :) xxx

Your's sounds good. My doc office likes it to be at 11 but when they checked mine around the same time it was 10.7 and they were still okay with that. But I started taking my iron supplement at a separate time from my prenatal (they didn't tell me not to take them at the same time) and I would take it with orange or grapefruit juice (citrus increases the absorption) and avoid dairy for an hour or two before and after taking it (decreses the absorption) and within a month it went up to 12.8

Mine is 11. Doctor Told me
Yestersay they only treat if below 10.5 x

Thank you ladies.

I'll try and up my intake of iron rich foods and hope its gone up by the time they test again.

My MW didn't seem too concerned about it.

That doesn't sound too low to me. Eating plenty iron rich foods and drinking/eating vitamin c rich food/juices should help as VIT C helps absorption. My iron level was 10.2 at 28 weeks so i was prescribed iron tablets. i will be retested on monday to see how much it has risen.

My iron levels were at 10.2 at 28 week app and was prescribed tablets to take twice a day. X

That is not really low. I'm a nurse in UK. The 'normal' range is 12-18 (or 120-180 depending on how its reported). Mine was 11.7 at 28 weekday which I'm pleased with. They won't pit you on iron suppliments at your level as they give some undesirable side effects in the bathroom department.

On my blood reports it says they like it to be between 11.5-15.0 g/dl
It should say on your blood report what they put in your pregnancy file :)
Mine were quite low 10 at 28 weeks and I was prescribed iron tablets but she wasn't overly concerned

Mine were 12.2 dropped from 14.2. The midwives said 12.2 is still a good level and not to worry at all. I think I had quite a drop because my appetite wasn't great and I was also drinking too many caffeinated drinks which can block iron absorption somewhat xx

On my blood reports it says they like it to be between 11.5-15.0 g/dl
It should say on your blood report what they put in your pregnancy file :)
Mine were quite low 10 at 28 weeks and I was prescribed iron tablets but she wasn't overly concerned

Had a look - it says between 11.5 - 16.0 so it's only just under that.

Makes me feel much better - thank you :)

My midwife said mine looks like it might be low just from the colour today! Waiting for results in a few days, hope they are fine as I really don't want to take iron supplements.

I had my 28 weeks appointment today, and my iron level is 9.
I have been asked to pick up my prescription for Iron Tablets tomorrow. Midwife seemed quite concerned.

I really do not like taking Iron Tablets. Does anyone have any alternative tips?

Midwife also found Protein in Urine, and sent the sample across to the hospital. I don't think I have a UTI, and I have already been treated for a UTI a few weeks back. Any advice?

Thanks x

my iron levels were 10.8 at 28 weeks, but no one told me the results so i carried on as normal, and come 34wks midwife put me on iron tablets as i felt so awful and tired. she said it would have dropped in the 6weeks past. she said if it falls below 10.5 then i would'nt be allowed in the midwife led unit. iv been eating more iron rich foods as well to boost it and i feel much better for it now x

I have been asked to pick up my prescription for Iron Tablets tomorrow. Midwife seemed quite concerned.

I really do not like taking Iron Tablets. Does anyone have any alternative tips?

Midwife also found Protein in Urine, and sent the sample across to the hospital. I don't think I have a UTI, and I have already been treated for a UTI a few weeks back. Any advice?

Thanks x

Hi

There are alternative forms of iron you can take, from what I have read the liquid ones work but it takes about a week to get your iron up by .1 of a point so in 9 weeks your iron would get up to just under 10 which is still a bit low. It seems the tablets are more quick acting, there are a few more easily absorbed types of iron. Floradix tablets are good but expensive, healthspan (online company) have started doing doing a iron tablet with b and c vitamins and copper, it has been so popular though that they are out of stock until 31st May.

Unfortunately urine infections in pregnancy can be stubborn so it's possibly a recurrence of the previous one. It might be something else though so try not to worry too much xx

Thanks x
For anyone who has to take an iron supplement...I'm anemic with a score of big ol' 0!!! Ya. Thankfully I'm not pregnant yet but basically my dr told me raising that number was a must. So...find an iron supplement that has iron, B12 and folic acid in it. It helps with absorption. I take something called "easy iron" and have never have bathroom issues like other tables....never take your iron pills within a hour of any other pills. Don't take with grain or dairy of any kind as these hinder absorption..good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->