Iron levels

StarBound

Reaction score
Any advice on iron levels ? Mine are at 9.8 and need to be at 10.5 for a medically advised home birth. I have a appointment on Thursday to check again. I'm taking 2 iron tablets a day - eating iron rich foods (fish, wholemeal bread, raisins, beans, cornflakes and weetabix. I can't eat red meat as I'm vegetarian (I don't normally even eat fish - but asjoseph needs it) anything else I should or should not be doing ? Is there any foods that prohibit iron. Would it be safe to take 3 iron tablets the day before the blood test I'm pretty desperate here :(

I am taking Spatone as mine were a little low but even at last count of 9.8 our MW is more than happy for a HB. She said lots of other factors were taken into account and the fact that I look and feel absolutely fine is too.

Apparently 10 is classed as "normal" here.

I would have to hit 9.4 before they started to see it as something needing more attention.

xxx

You can get liquid iron (spatone) from holland and barretts. Double check its ok just to take it though or ask midwife how you could boost it :) Fingers crossed you get your home birth xx

Are you having much dairy? Diary contains b12 which helps absorb to iron. You can eat more dairy and get an extra dose of protein or take some b12 supplements.

It isn't just getting iron that makes your iron levels go up. The way we absorb nutrients is by the aid of other nutrients. Eating a completely balanced diet will help each of your nutrient levels go up.

I'm a vegetarian so I have been looking into how to get the most out of the foods I eat. One of my favourite meals is a stir fry of lots of green leafy veges and a few different colours (carrots, capsicum, pumpkin) and all mixed together with cream and a flour past. You can add some pasta if you like. Seeds makes a good extra, as well.

You have to get more iron into your system for days before and keep it up to have good levels. If you want to have higher iron levels, the answer is rarely to restrict your diet but to open it right up. Include a few supplements of a b complex and iron and see how it goes. Good luck.

Lots of great advice from the girls :)

Mine are never much above 9 and it wasnt raised as an issue in my HB.....you *could* refuse to have them checked again......

my consultant said eat lots of apples lots of spinach and also the stuff from holland and barrett! that brought mine up a bit xx

Hi hun - Vit c helps absorption of iron -so drink plenty of fresh orange juice, eat green leafy veg etc.

Dairy products actually hinder the absorption as does caffeine - so no tea, cofee or milk at meal times,

Prune juice is full of iron -and can help with the unwanted side effects of iron tabs too lol

xxx

https://www.ehow.com/how_4545_absorb-iron-supplements.html

Probably not the best place to source from but it is easy to read.

I had spatone with orange juice and that got my level up... And mine was lower than yours :)

Calcium blocks the absorption of iron, so don't take them together... Eg if you have cereal for breakfast, take your iron an hour or so before. If you are raking pregnancy vitamins, they often contain calcium, so don't take them at the same time as your iron. Hth! :)

I havnt had my blood results back yet, but I do know Im aneamic. Im a veggie too, and no fish, so my iron is low anyway, and Im not the healthiest eater in the world, especially with morning sickness. I started taking two spatone sachets a day as soon as I got my bfp, but Im feeling really bad lately because of my iron. I cant get to the top of the stairs without being out of breath and my body aching (Im not fat btw :mrgreen: ). I call it body ache, and today is really bad - aching all over and short of breath. :roll:

I really am thinking of taking three sachets a day now its that bad.
Try not to drink caffeine as it hinders the absorbtion (sp?) of iron. And also, apparently, tey HERB Thyme is supposed to have the most Iron in it out of anything, but Im not sure how you would eat it! Spinach would be the next best thing. What about making a spinach, and grated paresan salad?

Hi

spinach contains oxalic acid (similar to tannins in tea) which blocks the absorption of iron; so while in the mid 20th century it was thought to be the best source of iron; it is now recognised that it isn't and may even prevent absorption of iron from other foods. You can buy a herb mix called za'atar online; it contains thyme and also other herbs that contain iron; in the middle east it is considered a brain food. You can mix it with cream cheese, or olive oil and spread it on bread.

Other good veggie sources of iron include dried apricots (try the darker organic ones), tomato paste/puree, various types of dried beans and pulses, and blackstrap molasses...

https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

Soph x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back