Iron Tablets and bowel movements

Athena

Mum of 3 :)
Reaction score
I just started taking ferrous sulphate prescribed for low iron and have had four BM today and diahorreah once sorry tmi :blush:

Does anyone know if the tablets could be the cause of this?

The pains in my stomach before I had to go were awful as well, really reminded me of labour pains :nope:

I've had some pretty interesting BM since I started taking my iron tablets :shock: some of the things I've encountered have been truly terrifying:haha:

And diarrhoea has definitely been one of them!

It almost definitely is the iron tablets causing this. Were these prescribed to you cos there are other forms available that are easier on the stomach such as ferrous phosphate or ferrous gluconate.

I had my bloods done at 28 weeks and then they called me a week later and told me to pick up a prescription from drs but I never actually saw a dr.

I'm glad to hear it's the iron, I was confused as I thought it caused constipation?? Maybe I'll give a few more days and if still going like this will have to ring dr.

It should normalize once you get used to the iron for the most part. But I still have random days where I go 4 times a day.... but hey I'll take that over constipation any day!

I had horrific diahorea from the ferrous sulphate tablets I was prescribed. Have since switched to ferrous gluconate and whilst still a little loose things seem much better. I would ask if you can try a different formulation.

Maybe try floradix (the liquid or the tablets) its a different form of iron that is more easily absorbed and though I don't need to take iron I have taken it in the past just to keep my levels high. If you go to the reviews of either product on amazon they are very effective even for severe anaemia and many midwives and GPs recommend it. The tablets are coated very well so they only dissolve properly in the gut from where they are absorbed effectively into the bloodstream. I don't work for them honest but I have recommended their products to quite a few ladies who were very very low on iron and not only was the regular iron tablets giving them horrid bowel movements but they weren't working as well as hoped either, and the floradix products really worked wonders. I know in some areas they will prescribe it as well (not here my local NHS trusts have been cheapskates for ten years now and won't prescribe anything that can be bought in a pharmacy even for children :(. )

I had my bloods done at 28 weeks and then they called me a week later and told me to pick up a prescription from drs but I never actually saw a dr.

I'm glad to hear it's the iron, I was confused as I thought it caused constipation?? Maybe I'll give a few more days and if still going like this will have to ring dr.

Defo the iron! They more generally cause constipation but they effect everyone differently! But what you've been experiencing are some of know side effects of iron tablets.

I too have just started taking iron tablets after getting my 28wk bloods back. Hate the way they make me feel x

You can always ask for something else that might be better on you!

Definitely the iron! It'll also probably turn your poo black! So don't freak out lol

As everyone else has said, it's probably the iron :)

I've been taking it since I got pregnant (due to lowish levels) in a pill that combines iron and folic acid.
My bowel movements are usually dark green or black, and I tend to have them 3-4 time a day.
I have diarrhea usually a couple of times a week (which is normal for me... even before I got pregnant), but it's rarely painful or accompanied by abdominal pain, so hopefully at least that will go away soon.

Feel better!

My ob told me that iron tablets could either cause diarrhea or constipation.

Thanks for all your input ladies. I tried taking them again today and although haven't had diarrhea I feel really really sick :sick: which is horrible :cry:

I'm going to phone the Dr tmw and see if I can get them to prescribe floradix like summer rain suggested, pretty sure I've had that before with no ill affects.

Can't believe these tablets have made me feel so ill :nope:

I don't think you can get floradix on prescription but you can buy it from Holland & Barrett.

Im so glad you asked this! I was told to take 3 ferrus sulphate tablets a day, i thought they caused constipation so iv just been taking the one and i too have been having pooing problems! Soft greeny black :-$ yuck! Tmi sorry haha. Also getting some gripping stomach pains before i need the loo. X

yeah iron can do strange things to bowel movements.
I've just been prescribed Ferrous Fumarate. I've not had these before - when I had iron tablets in the past they were ferrous sulphate and they turned my poo black.

I don't think you can get floradix on prescription but you can buy it from Holland & Barrett.

I know ladies who have been prescribed the liquid version of floradix, in the not so distant past so it really depends on your area. Always worth asking. There are also other forms of iron in tablet form available and these can be prescribed if floradix can't be and it's out of your price range or hard to obtain. Xx

Completely normal!
I've been on them since 28 weeks and I generally have about 4 bowel movements a day (and there black!) and a mild dosage of diarrhoea every so often,
i love my iron tablets, they make me able to do things and keep running my daily life, without them im pale as hell, i have no energy to even get out of bed, and i turn into someone that cant do anything for themselves x

Yes but if there is an alternative version out there that is more suitable for some people as well as being more easily absorbed then I don't blame people going for that one. For some people the bowel problems caused by ferrous sulphate are agonising particularly if they already have IBS or other problems. The only reason the sulphate one is commonly prescribed is because it is extremely cheap and GPs are told to prescribe the cheapest versions available xx

I was prescribed ferrous sulphate after i gave birth to my daughter and they gave me horrendous diarrhoea. I was then given ferrous fumarate instead and i had absolutely no problems on them. My iron was low at my 28 week check this pregnancy so i've been back on ferrous fumarate for a week and had no stomach-related issues so far. I would mention to your gp and ask if they can prescribe you a more stomach-friendly iron tablet. x

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I've stopped the tablets and am really watching my diet and taking floradix (I couldn't get on prescription but worth the money) I've got another appt in two weeks so I expect MW will do bloods then hopefully levels will be a bit better xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->