Iron Tablets and bowel movements

well my update personally is that I'm now horrendously constipated. I'm sitting here eating a gigantic bowl of bran flakes. I'm so uncomfortable today it's ridiculous. And that's with ferrous fumarate!

Oh dear :(. The really odd thing with me is when I take herbal iron or ferrous gluconate (not tried the fumarate as far as I know) I actually have more regular bowel movements than usual whereas without I do tend to get constipated at this stage of pregnancy. That's the only reason really why I am taking the floradix tablets at the moment, my iron level is fine but they actually help in the bowel movement department! Xx

Oh no sorry to hear that Alicecooper it's a total nightmare, that's a horrible feeling. Especially when around this time it's uncomfortable just being pregnant! Hope you feel better x

thanks Athena. How are your bowel movements now?

well I've been in uncomfortable pain all night. WAYYY too much TMI I know (but hey, we're all here talking about bowel movements after all...) but I actually resorted to trying to pull my poop out of my bum myself, but it's like huge rocks. I can feel it there just a centimetre or so inside but I can't get it out. It's all backed up and just won't come out.

I've completely ruptured my piles, and I'm walking around now like I've been double anal fisted or something! (pleasant imagery I know lol). They've gone MASSIVE and bleeding like mad and so so painful.

I don't think constipation has ever caused me this much discomfort before in my life! And I've had constipation many times, but not this bad.

I've stopped taking my tablets as of this morning - I'd rather be temporarily anaemic thank you very much! and I've downed a huge bowl of All Bran and half a bag of prunes about an hour and a half ago, but still no joy so far.

UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH

thanks Athena. How are your bowel movements now?

well I've been in uncomfortable pain all night. WAYYY too much TMI I know (but hey, we're all here talking about bowel movements after all...) but I actually resorted to trying to pull my poop out of my bum myself, but it's like huge rocks. I can feel it there just a centimetre or so inside but I can't get it out. It's all backed up and just won't come out.

I've completely ruptured my piles, and I'm walking around now like I've been double anal fisted or something! (pleasant imagery I know lol). They've gone MASSIVE and bleeding like mad and so so painful.

I don't think constipation has ever caused me this much discomfort before in my life! And I've had constipation many times, but not this bad.

I've stopped taking my tablets as of this morning - I'd rather be temporarily anaemic thank you very much! and I've downed a huge bowl of All Bran and half a bag of prunes about an hour and a half ago, but still no joy so far.

UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH

OMG This sounds awful although the fisted part tickled me a bit because I know exactly what you mean :haha: that's identical to how I was after taking progesterone pessaries at very beginning of pregnancy.

Well, as we are talking bowel movements, I am still having quite bad diarrhea like I don't even want to go out the house just in case I have an accident :blush: those iron tablets totally messed me up.

I honestly think it's best to try and get more iron from food and a gentle supplement instead of taking the prescribed tablets.

I really hope you feel better soon, it's got to come out at some point :wacko:

Maybe try floradix (the liquid or the tablets) its a different form of iron that is more easily absorbed and though I don't need to take iron I have taken it in the past just to keep my levels high.

Summer Rain beat me to it. Floradix brought my levels up from 8 at 23 weeks to 12 at 25 weeks. I'm metabolically anemic, so this was a godsend and iron tabs generally make me ill.

Thanks, I'm interested to see how different my levels will be. Have my 34 week appt in 2 weeks will report back then!

I have been struggling with going for a number 2 for a while and when I was told I needed iron tablets I was even more worried - and I was right to be!!! I have been prescribed Ferrous Fumarate and supposed to take 2 a day but I take 1 every 3 days as I can't cope with the constipation and my sexy piles flaring up!!! I eat weetbix daily which has iron in and have increased other healthy bits but I do love my chocolate which is the worst thing when you are bunged up!!!

I am surprised it doesn't effect the baby that is growing inside as straining surely can't help?? I am dreading labour cause of the piles but I am hoping it will all be worth it!!!

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->