Irregular Cycles

pennies

Reaction score
I came off the pill in June after 13 years of using it and since then I've had irregular cycles, in fact I've only had 4 cycles since July, all of varying lengths 39, 35, 48 and 49!

I understand that the pill can mess with your cycles and that it can take a while for things to return to normal, the problem is that I don't know what normal is for me?!

We've been TTC since October, so this is only our 4th month, but I'm so so ready for a baby and the irregular cycles really aren't helping as I'm pretty much only have one chance every two months.

So far I haven't done anything other than tracking my cycles on an app, I have no idea when or if I am even ovulating, is it time to try opks? My cycles are not classes as normal, but maybe they are for someone coming off the pill after so long?

I guess my question is what would you do? And how long would you leave it before speaking to your GP?

Hi pennies

I was in a similiar situation. Back in April of 2016 I had my IUD removed and my cycles were all over the place. I'm talking like 50-70 day cycles! I was concerned that I wasn't ovulating but I was also concerned that the doctors wouldn't take me seriously due to the fact that I hadn't been ttc for a year and the fact that I'm only 20. Because my cycles were so out of wack they did a U/S and found out I have PCOS.

I suggest that you do start OPKs and also if you are able, begin charting. That way if you are ovulating you can get a better idea of when and if you aren't ovulating you have something to show your doc to hopefully get things moving along faster. I'm sorry that you are going through this. It's so frusterating. Good luck to you and Fx'd you see that bfp soon.

Hey there
I came off the pill in January 2016, for the first 4 or 5 months everything was normal then from about 6 months after (June) I started getting horrible acne, weight gain and most distressing, missed periods. I would get my period after every 2 or 3 months, which as you can imagine it's been frustrating and worrying trying to conceive.
My doctor told me it does take time for your body to regulate and normalise. However I decided to take matters into my own hands and researched about regulating hormones post the pill.
For the past 4 months, I've been taking a supplement called Agnus Castus (also known as Vitex/ Chasteberry), I take a multivitamin (for B Vitamins) and I take evening primrose oil daily. My period is now back to my pre-pill cycle of 30 days and my skin has never looked better (all acne is gone :) )
My advice to you is to not panic, Vitex has been an absolute blessing, I feel like I have some of my sanity back!
Some women go off the pill and immediately conceive (like my sister) but for some of us it just takes a little time but don't lose hope.

Hi pennies, I had the same problem. I Stopped BCP in March 2016 and my cycle were between 14 and 50+ days. I went to my doctor after 6 months of ttc, she then put me on Clomid to help me ovulate and regulate my cycles. Turns out that I dont Ovulate at all, and infact I am Clomid resistant as well. I havent Ovulated in a very long time. My doctor said a good time to ttc on your own is 6 months if you have irregular cycles. I regret waiting 6 months befor3 I went to see my doctor, so if you think something might be wrong, rather go sooner than later. Your doctor will most likely put you on Clomid for a start. FX for you, goodluck.

Thank you all so much for your replies, it's really comforting to know that I'm not alone in this (not that I ever thought I was!)

The hardest part is that we haven't told anyone we are TTC and my oh really doesn't want to sit and talk about it all of the time.

This will be my 7th month of tracking my cycles and I am really worried that something might not be right, but also that if I go to the doctors they won't take me seriously and will tell me I need to wait longer.

I never expected it to happen straight away but I didn't expect 8 months after stopping the pill to have this irregular cycles either

My doctor was very proactive when I expressed concerned about not ovulating before my last pregnancy. We weren't even trying! My cycles were really crazy (practically nonexistent) and she wanted me to chart/use opks for the three months until we were ready to ttc. (she also prescribed progesterone so I had a starting point). If I wasn't ovulating by the time we were ready, she was going to prescribe closed) clomid. The progesterone worked, I had af, and conceived that cycle (surprise!). So not all doctors expect you to wait a long trial and error. Good luck with everything!

That's really interesting. I must admit I did think about making an appointment with the doctor, I'm 29 next month and really don't want to be an old mum!

Everyone around me seems to be falling pregnant left, right and centre but I've always had this feeling it would take me ages to fall.

That's really interesting. I must admit I did think about making an appointment with the doctor, I'm 29 next month and really don't want to be an old mum!

Everyone around me seems to be falling pregnant left, right and centre but I've always had this feeling it would take me ages to fall.

I'm also 29! I was 27 when I had that discussion with my doctor.

That's good that your doctor was so supportive even when you weren't trying.

I'm at that stage of wondering if there's something wrong or are we just missing the fertile window every month. I use an app to track my cycles but I think it's been way off with my fertile window every month as it just seems to randomly place it based on a regular cycle.

Am I right in thinking that ovulation would be roughly 14/15 days before my period?

I'm now at that stage where I just expect a negative test and long cycle so try not to get my hopes up but am still always gutted every time it doesn't happen!

The easiest way for me to tell when I'm ovulating is cm. Charting bbt was too hard (inconsistent wakeup times), and my cycles aren't regular enough to rely on an app.

Pennies, If I were you I would see the doctor, dont worry about them not taking you serious, they will. Your doctor will most likely give you Clomid. Ovulation occur more or less 14 days before AF, but, having AF does not mean you have ovulated. You could possibly have had annovulatory cycles.

My advice, see your doctor. If you start Clomid and it works for you, there is a chance of getting pregnant whithin the first month.

Thanks ladies, I guess I'm just worried about taking that step and accepting that things might not be right, still kind of in denial!

If I'm honest I've read so much about it all but it's just confusing me and I didn't want to get too technical and take the fun out of trying. I can't really tell from my cm what's going on and I haven't tried anything else yet

Pennies, I can relate to still being in denial. Some days I wake up thinking its so unreal, then I update my FF and realize that its all very real. As we are approaching the 1 year mark of TTC, the reality is starting to sink in. Like I said in a previous post, I regret waiting 6 months before seeing my doctor, having a 14 day cycle and then a 43 day cycle should have indicated to me that something is wrong.

I know its though, especially making the decision to see your Doctor, but it will get better. And if you want to talk and vent you are at the right place - you are also more than welcome to send me a private message if you wish.

Goodluck :flower:

Thank you Nita.

I've ordered some opks so was going to try them this cycle, at least this way I'll know if I'm ovulating and when, can determine my fertile window to make sure we're trying at the right time and then if it doesn't happen make an appointment at the doctor?

Everything I'm reading puts anything over a 35 day cycle as abnormal. Since my last two have been 49 and 48 I'm really thinking something is clearly wrong.

I'm just so desperate for it to happen now, I've been ready for a couple of years but my hubby has only just come on board in October so to him it feels like I'm getting ahead of myself and being impatient 😭

I have irregular cycles due to PCOS and found out when I got my current (surprise) pregnancy that I can still be ovulating when my cycles are weird. My doctor estimates that I ovulated on CD21! That being said, it took me 18 perfectly regular 30-day cycles to get pregnant with my first baby because I wasn't ovulating. So, cycles can be tricky, and we just don't know for sure what's going on. The trick here is to regulate your hormones. You spent a long time artificially regulating your hormones, so it might take a little while for your body to learn to do this on its own. If you'd like to rush it a little, check out Whole30. I have gotten pregnant after a Whole30 3 times because it regulates my hormones within just a few weeks. I'd love to see more Whole30 babies on here, but Whole30 is very strict, and most people just don't stick with it. Good luck! I spent way too much time on the TTC boards and want all of us to have our perfect babies. :)

Thank you Nita.

I've ordered some opks so was going to try them this cycle, at least this way I'll know if I'm ovulating and when, can determine my fertile window to make sure we're trying at the right time and then if it doesn't happen make an appointment at the doctor?

Everything I'm reading puts anything over a 35 day cycle as abnormal. Since my last two have been 49 and 48 I'm really thinking something is clearly wrong.

I'm just so desperate for it to happen now, I've been ready for a couple of years but my hubby has only just come on board in October so to him it feels like I'm getting ahead of myself and being impatient 😭

I came to learn that OPKs arent that accurate. Ig you want accurate results try to temp, if you can do that it will give you a clear indication if you are ovulating or not. Alternatively, you can do a progesterone blood test to confirm Ovulation. I usually do it on CD21 but it can be done later if you think you ovulate later in the cycle.

Your cycles are very long, and that can be very frustrating, my last 3 cycles was all 45+ days. Just hang in there, try one more cycle and then I would strongly advise you to see your doctor. :hugs:

im the same ive been on the pill since I was 16 to regulate my periods and only came off to ttc, my cycles have never been regular between 30-50 days but we have 5 children currently just started ttc no 6.
so I just wanted to say that it can happen even with irregular periods just bed every few days to cover yourself x

Wow, this was me in 2015! I wasn't tracking fertility signs and every month I thought I was pregnant only to get another BFN. It turns out the pill hid my PCOS for years and I didn't know it. If I were you I would track your temps for 2-3 months to prove if you are ovulating or not. Take your charts to an OBGYN and come up with a game plan. Your body may just need some more time to adjust or you may need a little help. Long story short for me, once I finally was prescribed Clomid I got my BFP after three rounds. Good luck!

Opks arrived today, but no idea what I'm doing or when to start! I'ce tracked 4 cycles now and averaging 43 day cycles, when should I start opks and should I just tell hubby we need to up the anti?! Xx

Hi pennies I am in the same boat as you although slightly different. I was on the mini pill for around 7 years before stopping to ttc number 1 in 2013. I had no bleeding after stopping the pill and thankfully fell pregnant after a couple of months.

Since having my son I decided to have the copper coil as I wanted to see what my body does without synthetic hormones and my cycles are totally irregular like yours. I only have around 4/5 periods a year and there is absolutely no pattern to them.

I don't really have any advice but just wanted to let you know that you can fall pregnant with irregular cycles, it could just take a bit longer or be a bit more confusing!

We will be ttc. Number 2 in a couple of months and I worry that it will take longer as I don't have regular cycles. I do think you should see a doctor if you are worried however I was referred to a gynaecologist who seemed to think nothing was wrong, could have been because I was ttc at the time. Good luck and let us know how you get on xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->