Is 3 month old eating too much?

Abbey08

Reaction score
He is 14 weeks old now and he cluster fed pretty much the entire first 3 months of his life. He is finally starting to go 3-4 hours between feeds but sometimes at night or in the morning he can down 8-12oz!!! I make him his usual 4oz bottle and he chugs it down in minutes so lately we have up'd to 6oz bottles he is getting. Sometimes he wants another 4-6oz on top of that 6oz!! I know they go through growth spurts and 3 months is one but is this normal? He hasnt seemed to go back down to his normal 4oz bottles lately.

Also, he is 3 months old and STILL needs a newborn nipple! We use Tommee Tippee and he needs the size 0 nipple still (which we can only find in the newborn set) and the size 1 nipple for 0+months still lets out too much milk and chockes him I couldnt imagine how he would be with the nipples for 3+ months! :/

Unless he's vomiting it all up after every feed or there is a genuine medical concern about his weight (like he's above the 100th centile), then you can't feed them too much. There is such a huge variation in what's 'normal' but I know when my daughter was 3 months, she was definitely having 4 oz per feed and compared to everyone else she was a very petite eater and was pretty small (25th centile). So the fact you're offering him 4 oz and he's finishing it and wanting more sounds pretty normal. If he's tending to want more at every feed or always finishing each bottle, I would make more to start, either 6 oz or even more if you're finding he always finishes that. If he has a bigger feed all in one go, rather than having to then make extra, you might find that it starts to even out a bit more and fall into more of a pattern. The HV told me that the right amount to offer is the one where they leave some unfinished about half the time, so you might consider increasing all his feeds to help him find more of a pattern. But I don't think that sounds like an unusual amount and I don't think you should expect him to go down to 4oz again as he's getting older.

I second what MindUtopia said. Your baby will let you know when he is full.

Regarding the nipple flow, try not to worry. My son is nine months and is only on the medium flow. He was on the newborn nipple until about six months! I tried changing it every so often because he seemed to be getting frustrated, but he would just choke and sputter. I've again tried him with fast flow nipples, but he still chokes. As long as your baby is happy, try not to worry about the labels on the packages; they're just guidelines, and every baby is different.

Thanks so much ladies for the feedback! I really appreciate it. He rarely spits up and is a very happy little guy so he must just be growing and starting to eat more. :)

My 16 week old is on 5x 8oz bottles a day!

If I'd offer him 4oz he'd just scream for more!

I'd say it's time to up his bottles, regarding the teats if he's happy then don't change, I know a 1yo who still has the newborn teats and just can't cope with anything faster

My DS was quite petite at 14 weeks and he was on 5-6oz bottles at that age, about 30oz a day overall made up and he drank probably 27+. Sounds like it's time to increase the amount you are offering. As for nipple size font worry my DS is six months and still has a newborn or 2 month+ nipple on his bottles chokes in more but happily drinks water out of a sippy cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->