Is anyone else struggling with the nausea?

kewpie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm at 7.5 weeks, it's my first pregnancy - and I'm finding the constant nausea is really getting me down at this point. I haven't even thrown up (though I've been very close) and I'm trying to keep it in mind that some of you have it much worse than me! So I feel a bit silly for complaining. But the nausea is just dominating my life.

My partner has been away for two weeks and gets home in a few days. I'm a bit worried he isn't quite going to understand how I'm feeling! It's also been a lonely time as we haven't yet told anyone so I've been feeling quite isolated and I think it's all just got me down a bit.

Sorry for the little moan...I just don't have anyone to confide in and it would really help to know if anyone else going through similar feelings? Any words of wisdom or tips for how to get through this time would be so welcome right now. Thanks for understanding :)

Kewpie

I suffer with morning sickness the same way as you - constant nausea but very rarely sick. From the odd occasions I have been sick I can tell you I feel better afterwards so don't feel bad that you're finding it hard. Have you found any ways of minimising it? For me rose lemonade and salty crackers works most of the time. Plus just making sure I'm not hungry.

As for your partner, it is hard for them to understand. Mine was really mean about it to me last pregnancy about it because he assumed it couldn't be that bad if I wasn't throwing up. He's since had a stern talking to and is being a lot better.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you annio84. Though I'm sorry you're suffering it too, it does help to know someone else understands. I'm sure most women on here do! Just so hard when you have this huge secret and no one in real life to talk with.

Yes making sure I'm not hungry does the trick. It means I'm constantly catering to the whims of my (suddenly) fussy appetite throughout the day. The queasiness starts up and I know I have exactly as long as it takes to heat up whatever it is my brain has decided it can handle - at the moment, it's chicken pies, mashed potato and the occasional orange. I work from home and I truly take my hat off to women dealing with this in their workplace!

Good to know your partner listened after you had to have stern words with him, and I will be sure to do the same with mine if he is anything less than sympathetic on his return!

Hope you feel better soon too :)

It is really tough. I think the best thing is just recognising that it's just a passing thing and (for most at least) it will get better soon. I felt like this last week as well towards the end of 6 weeks and into 7 weeks. This week it's a bit better. And I know that with my daughter, it got worse again around 9 weeks, before I started to mostly feel okay towards the end of 10 weeks. So I know I'll feel better soon.

What helps me is just making sure I eat regularly and also I eat whatever seems appealing. Some people stress about food and eating at this stage because they don't want to be too unhealthy, but I think if something sounds good (especially if you are having food aversions as well, which actually I find almost worse than the nausea), then eat it. I know there are certain foods that I find more appealing than others and I keep plenty of those around so I always have something.

I found it was also hard when I didn't have anyone around to help with cooking and food prep. When I was pregnant before, I was travelling for work from 8-10 weeks, so through the worst of it, I was stuck in hotels and having to grab whatever I could in between meetings and that was tough. When I was at home with my husband, I could have him do the cooking so I could rest a bit and not feel too ill while cooking. I would just explain it to your partner and let him know really concrete things he can do to help you. I think sometimes it's hard for them to understand, but most are genuinely wanting to help, so if you say, I need you to cook dinner or I need you to empty the bins or do whatever, it gives him a way to help you.

And really just hang in there. It does get better. I think it's easier the second time around, even though life is busier (I have a 4 year old now) and I'm under more stress with work, just because I know it's temporary. With my first, it felt like it went on and on though.

I had constant nausea with DS and again worse with this pregnancy. Its no laughing matter. The people that can at least get sick usually have a small reprieve but for me not getting sick means its endless until I go to sleep. It is starting to get better this week and I am praying to everything that it continues to get better since mine started at 3 weeks. The best way to explain it to people who never have this type of morning sickness for me is that its like the flu or a never ending hangover. DH thought it was in my head the last pregnancy because I wasn't getting sick but quickly turned his way of thinking around. This time he is constantly asking me how I am feeling. It sucks but the baby at the end of it is so so worth all the crap we put up with!

Yep, me!! I have a full on job and a 2 year old. If I get the slightest whiff of something I don't like, or even think about it too much, I gag. I also haven't been sick either but will retch. It is horrid. I'm 8 weeks.

I've had nausea throughout almost this entire pregnancy - I'm 37 1/2 weeks along now. Ugh. This is my fifth, and I've never experienced it this badly before. I do have some tips, though. Try eating a small piece of protein (I use a Mini Babybel) every hour. If that doesn't work, I would suck on hard candy alllllllllllllll day long when I was pregnant with my first. I learned the protein trick with my fourth. The hard candies do work, but as soon as it dissolves, the nausea comes right back. It couldn't have been good for my teeth, either, but it never did give me cavities.

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive messages everyone, and for all the tips. I feel much less alone!

MindUtopia - Yes the food aversions are dreadful! Thanks for the tip on talking to your partner to let him know what practical things can be done to help. I think that will definitely make it much easier for mine to understand.

Hoping you all feel better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->