Is anyone else worried about ice/snow?

If the dreaded snow arrives, I will be hibernating! I live at the top of a mountain and the next town is in the Valley so its all downhill for me and the breaks just refuse to work in that snow. It was ok last year when I wasnt pregnant I only had me to worry about and I knew Id recover from a bump in the car, but since becomg a human incubator I just cannot risk it, so I'll just be staying home. Anyone who want to see me and come to me in their non-pregnant state! :haha:

I'm worried about going into labour and not being able to get in to hospital because of the snow, it's terrifying me!!!!!

xxxx

I'm worried about going into labour and not being able to get in to hospital because of the snow, it's terrifying me!!!!!

xxxx

My OH was born during the 'Winter of Discontent' in 1979 and his mother went into labour in the middle of a snowstorm AND the ambulance service was on strike, so she got taken to the hospital in an Army vehicle!

I always tend to have mishaps in the snow like slipping or falling with an almighty bang on my side (embarrassed myself a few times in the past) so i have thought about the snow this year and what it will be like carrying all the extra weight. Will be traipsing into central london for work over the winter so will have to get those snow grips people have been talking about!

Even with a 4x4, I'm still nervous about driving in the winter time. The one car accident I've been the source of was in my 4x4 in the winter time a few years ago. I was in 4 wheel drive and going slow and still managed to hit a patch of black ice (where you can't see that the road is icy but it's super icy) and slid across 4 lanes, hitting a truck's trailer. To this day, I won't get on the highway at that ramp because the memory is still too strong. :-s

I drive to work an although the boss accepts us being late he doesnt see any reason for not going in if we drive in slow an take extra precautions! I will drive in the snow! But not if it's bad I won't be! I certainly won't be giving two shits what my boss thinks either! My baby is more important! Iv never really been scared to drive in the snow/ice as I'm careful and dont drive out of 2nd gear but it's other drivers on the road that scare me! Some people really dont care at how fast there going and how much danger can be caused!!

About 3 years ago in snowy icy winter a bloke overtook all the slow moving traffic at such high speed lost control of his car mounted the curb and missed me by about 2 metres! God was I lucky I wasn't walking and I was waiting for someone to pick me up! Some people really have no brains! X

My work place are really good in that if you need to take a day off due to adverse weather conditions they don't grumble...you either take it as annual leave if you have any or you get it unpaid. I've been really really lucky and will be leaving for holiday leave on the 22nd December and taking 6 weeks holiday until mat leave begins on 7th feb so it works out perfectly.

However that said I'm a confident driver and it's never worried me but that's cause it was only me...work know how poorly I've been and that after a previous loss this year this baby is everything to me and I know they would not be pissed at me if I phoned and said I wasn't coming in

:flower:

I'm petrified I'm going to fall or slip and hurt baby if it snows or gets icy. I have poor balance etc due to deformity of my feet, so that makes everything worse. I have proper hiking boots that are designed for snow but they're still not brilliant. I might live in door for a week or so when it snows. I don't have to work now so that's a plus. :)

I grew up in Switzerland where ppl are much better prepared for the deep snows as we always have them for months on end there. So what I am going to do is get proper snow tires for the car like we do in Switzerland (there you have to have them by law) and not venture out of the house with anything less than my timberland type boots that have a very good grippy sole. I have seen adverts for winter tires by Goodyear on TV and it seems this is something relatively new here? Not sure how much they are going to cost but worth it I think.

I'm a little bit nervous that it'll be snowing when I go into labour! (you know how random the weather is - snow in March is hardly unreasonable any more! lol)
But yes.. it does worry me simply because our balance isn't so great when pregnant and falling isn't going to be something we can just dust ourselves off from. I'd just say we have to be extra careful when walking, and always walk on the fresh snow if possible.

My work can be a little bit funny about closing up when the weather is bad (they take ages to make a decision and then make it too late so we are all stuck with horrendous journeys to get home) This year I simply won't even attempt to come in, and just have to hope my manager understands.

lol @ ppl in the UK being afraid of snow. My cousin, who lives in Preston, was describing to me last years 'horrible' snow storm. I almost died laughing as she was telling me... because it amounted to what we would call "A light snow dusting". I mean I guess it might be frightening when you rarely get much snow but still. We get up to 80 cm of snow at times here so the 20 cm or so that she was describing as being so terrible just made me giggle.

That said... I already have on my winter tires so I'm all ready for driving. The only thing I am nervous about really is walking on the ice going to and from my car. I've got a cute pair of Timberlands I bought last year so hopefully those will do me good.

The UK cant cope with any extremes of weather! Its right we get laughed at by scandinavian countries etc. Finland said the UK is like Finland in the 1950s! Its embarrassing. London just basically closes down in the snow, all the trains stop running, no one makes it in to work or they are 3 hrs late. Heat waves are just as bad, the tubes on the underground over heat coz no air conditioning etc. Being pregnant in snow or heat in london must be horrible as the country just isnt equipped to deal with any bad weathers!

lol @ ppl in the UK being afraid of snow. My cousin, who lives in Preston, was describing to me last years 'horrible' snow storm. I almost died laughing as she was telling me... because it amounted to what we would call "A light snow dusting". I mean I guess it might be frightening when you rarely get much snow but still. We get up to 80 cm of snow at times here so the 20 cm or so that she was describing as being so terrible just made me giggle.

That said... I already have on my winter tires so I'm all ready for driving. The only thing I am nervous about really is walking on the ice going to and from my car. I've got a cute pair of Timberlands I bought last year so hopefully those will do me good.

I'm laughing even harder cause you would call a light dusting in Ontario, we in Quebec would probably call occasional flurries! LOL

I'm not worried about driving in the snow, I'm more worried about how I'm going to dig out my car if it snows heavily. And when it comes to walking, I will admit I'm afraid to fall but I'll just have to remember to fall into a big pile of snow! :winkwink:

i wont touch my car if theres ice or snow, it terrifies me to be in any sort of vehicle when its slippy out no matter whos driving.. i went and got them grippy things for my shoes for the ice, dont know if they will help, but i am afraid of falling too yes...

theres no sign of ice or snow yet in ireland, is there in england? does anyone know if ireland are even getting the bad weather this winter?

I'm dreading the snow. Where I live we get a ton of snow between now and march. So i'm not looking forward to driving in it. Thankfully my hubby will be home alot. He's a fireman and works 24 hour shifts so i only have to go one day without him at a time and we usually do all the shopping together.

Certainly in the UK & Ireland we aren't set up for snow!! We dont have the same snow plows and gritters and I'd say even in Canada if you had what we have to cope with the snow you wouldn't be too happy getting our "light flurries" of snow either!! Also say I went out now and bought winter tyres or snow chains for my car and got into an accident, well I wouldn't be insured as that is considered a modification which must be told to the insurance company and they would then charge me a higher premium!! Its insane.

I am pretty worried about it because I have to walk quite a way from my building (I live in an apartment) out to where my car is parked. And my landlords are pretty bad about getting things shoveled and iced with any sort of urgency. So yes it does worry me quite a bit really. I am thinking of getting some of those grippy things you can attach to your shoes.

I'm worried a little bit, but I live in Wyoming. It snows from October-April steadily (give or take a month lol) Infact, it's snowing now :happydance: and I already drove in it twice. I'm a little nervous but for the most part, I think I'll be fine. I'm due the beginning of march and will probably be driving up until I can't fit my belly in the drivers side (maybe another month or so lol) But I just got new boots and have some oilfield grade boot chains (thanks to my SO) :thumbup: so I don't think I'll fall lol

Be safe everyone! :hugs:

Luckily both DH and I are PhD students so we can sit put if it gets really bad (last year the sights were magnificent, the walking-in-the-slush part horrible :dohh:).

But a friend brought the great invention of YAK TRAX in my attention, so I'm definitely buying those if I have to get out.

I'm not looking forward to it, last time my trains stopped running and I spent hours waiting to get on buses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->