Is anyone having a student mw present for homebirth?

RoxyRoo

Mummy to two <3
Reaction score
Hi ladies, my MW has just asked me if I'd be ok with having a student midwife present for my homebirth. I immediately said that that is fine, how else is she going to get experience :thumbup:

And now I'm sitting here wondering if anyone else has done this and if I've done the right thing.. I envisage a relaxed, peaceful birth (I know these things don't always go to plan!). Will having an extra person there compromise that?

I said that I'd rather not have one unless she/he is close to qualifying as it's the explanations from the midwife about what she is doing which I would find off putting. I have no problems with having a student conduct any part of my antenatal care or to be present at the birth, I just want quiet peacefulness and not 'ok so when you do this make sure that...'.

I'm also not a good person to practice on as I'm declining all monitoring (except occasional fetal heart monitoring) in labour and expect my midwife to just sit back and watch!

My MW has an apprentice that will be present but I see her every time when I have my me appointments, so it's not like she's a unknown to me. I don't know how I would feel about someone I didn't know.

ive had students at both my births and if asked will happily have a student MW here for my homebirth too

I had one with my HB and she was super awesome! I love her, and she's a MW now and I'd totally use her for a future HB.

Thanks ladies :)

My MW said she is nearing the end of her training, so I'm taking it as a good thing as there'll be a spare pair of hands, especially when it comes to clearing up :thumbup: :haha:

I'm happy with my decision now, especially as a few of you have had positive experiences. Thanks :)

I'd say go for it, especially since she pretty much knows what she's doing--it's like you're getting 2 for the price of 1. Our midwife will have an apprentice with her. Funny enough though, the apprentice was our childbirth class teacher, and is also a doula. She's the one who recommended the midwife to us. So, we feel really blessed!!! Again, 2 for the price of 1. I just see it as someone else to reassure me throughout.

I was asked and said yes but dident end up with a HB. How else are they going to learn and i suppose the chance for a student to attend a HB is pritty rare and seeing a HB as a student hopefully will make them more open to them once there qualified.

We will hopefully have a student midwife present this time. She's my caseholding student midwife, which means she's almost qualified and she has to follow a certain amount of women through from antenatal care through to postnatal care and hopefully witness their births too. She asked me if i'd take part a while back and i had to sign to say i was happy. She is always supervised/overseen by a qualified midwife, so on the day she will likely come along with whoever is on call and like someone else has said, it's like 2-for-the-price-of-1! :thumbup:

I'm a nurse, so was a student nurse at one time obviously, and remember what it's like trying to learn and needing to get the experience and exposure. I think the more student mw's who are able to attend HBs during their training the better, as they will then be less likely to see them as 'unusual' when they do qualify :thumbup:

If asked I would say yes without hesitation .. last time I had 'my' 2 midwives, the hospital mw and my OH and apparently they did a fair bit of talking during it all and I don't remember it at all. I just heard the one voice I was focusing on (the main mw) and I naturally blocked the rest out :flower:

i had a student at imogens birth although she was only first year so wasnt activly involved as such but id be more than happy for a student to be present this time and even do the delievery if thats where they are at in their trianing. they have to learn some how and the qualified MW is there watching like a hawk so would be perfectly comfortable with this. im a nurse so i know in order for her to learn she has to get stuck in lol.

I'm going to ask if I can have her there I think. I met her and as she was recently learning all the stuff and it was fresh in her mind she actually gave me good advice. My other midwife who is really old just can't be arsed with me. I feel like the student was more willing so I'd actually quite like her to be present so I can have both :)

I had a student present at my birth, in fact, she may have even delivered Molly! I also had a male midwife present and they were both amazing. The other midwife was not lol.

I would def have a student present again as she was actually more with it than the qualified midwife!! I think it's maybe an age thing as she took some of my preferences into account where as the other midwife didn't iykwim?

Anyway its a personal choice, but I dont think an extra bod being there made a whole lot of difference :)

xxx

I have two students who have attended all of my prenatal appointments and been a part of my process. They are both lovely and were trained and certified initially as Doula's. At least one if not both of them will be at our birth and I'm excited about that. They will assist in some areas when LO actually emerges but prior to that act as my Doula(s). Total two (or three)for the price of one!

Love my MW too, she's super down to earth and really listens to me. Student MW's have to shadow a certain number of births and be present in order to complete their training and if it means I can help put more good MW's out there to serve the community, I'll be a part of it!:thumbup:

I'm not getting a student at this birth because my MW isn't mentoring a student right now, but I had one last time and would totally welcome one this time around!

I meet my second MW/backup MW tomorrow and will find out if I will have a student MW (I had the same reaction, and said yes to the student as well). I think with 2 MW, and possibly a student with my OH, I will be in great hands!

I just thought! I'm due around Christmas and if midwifery is anything like nursing they wont be on placement during this time! Booooo!! X

I will also have a student present for my HB, working with my 2 midwives... I actually also volunteered to have a first year student come and observe. She will be more of a supportive roll apparently (probably helping with snacks etc and just watching the certified midwives do their thing) but she has also had 2 home births herself so I am hoping she can bring some personal experience to the table. This is my first so I'm not sure if it was the right decision yet, however I do feel good about supporting students who (as others have said in this thread) need to learn somehow:) Glad people have had good experiences! I do like everybody I've worked with so far (I've met both students and all but one back up so far).

I told my midwife today that if the CMW team had any students with them I would mind one being present at my HB. I think it's a great idea to get their experience up x

I have written in my birth plan that I am happy to have students at my birth. This is whether I have met them previously or not; and whether they are first, second or third year students.
Everybody has to learn somehow! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->