Is dairy intolerance a likely cause of fussy/ gassy breastfed baby?

freddie

Mum of 3
Reaction score
My 4 week old is always very unsettled after feeding (which equates to him being unsettled most of the day and night) :cry:. He strains and cries, seems uncomfortable and like he is trying to poo/ pass gas but can't. He also will sometimes throw up a LOT, like a projectile of everything he has eaten - I have managed to mostly control this by taking him off the breast every now and then during long feeds as I think he will sometimes take too much.

I have read that these can be symptoms of an intolerance and that dairy is most common. Is this actually a likely cause or am I just desperately searching for an answer?! I am cutting it out either way as obviously I have nothing to lose but I am anxious as to whether I will see any results!

One symptom he definitely does not have is weight gain issues, he is gaining PLENTY of weight - does this mean it can't be an intolerance issue?

Any insight or advice greatly appreciated!!

I don't know much about dairy intolerance but I have read that lactose overload (from oversupply of breastmilk) has very similar symptoms to those you are describing. Rapid weight gain fits too.

Or reflux, maybe?

Hope someone else more knowledgable can chime in. Just wanted to mention about lactose overload because I am certain I have been dealing with this in my newborn. It's been slightly better since I stopped offering both sides at feedings.

Yes, it could be the problem! My baby has the same issues if I consume any dairy at all and it gets in to what little breast milk I've been able to give him. He also got violently ill the few times we attempted to give him regular formula (which is dairy based). Like not just the straining but the projectile vomiting as well, and screaming uncontrollably all day and night due to tummyache. The doctors quickly discovered he had a dairy allergy (same as his daddy had as a baby too) and since we switched to soy formula and I cut all dairy from my diet he's been feeling much better. For things I can't live without, like butter and milk, I've substituted in soy versions from the health store. So obviously I can't say that this is your problem, but it's worth looking in to and discussing with the doc. They advised me to read food labels super carefully - aside from cutting out the obvious dairy like cheese and milk and such, you have to look for the names of dairy-derived proteins like "casein" which is found in tons of surprising things! It's really limited what I can eat but I feel better that he feels better.

Sorry didn't read about throwing up a lot!
Could maybe reflux too? But I would speak to a gp and get them to run some tests. Hope your Lo feels better soon x

I could have written this exact post! I have tried to speak to doctors about this and breastfeeding people and know one is interested :( !!
hope things have got better and if you have any answers/tips please do share :)
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->