Is formula feeding really easier?

We are doing a combination of formula and BF. We started when she was 2 days old, and I LOVE it.

The most important thing is that my OH is able to bond with the baby. When she is being FF it is all on him. He prepares the formula and gives it to her. It allows me time to do other chores, rest, or sleep. But most importantly it gives him an opportunity to have one on one time with our new daughter. He very much enjoys it. The cleaning of the bottles is not too much of a hassle for me, only because I am super tidy and clean frequently, lol.

All that being said, I still do enjoy the breast feeding experience. I breast fed my son until he was 18 months old, and never got out of the breast feeding mentality. I think with this one I will stop around 6 months, or so.

Our current schedule is he gives her a bottle first thing in the morning and right before bed time. The formula does help her sleep longer and better. We try to give her no more than 3 bottles a day, but that is us just being conservative financially. Really, it doesn't matter whether it is breast or bottle. As long as she is surviving and thriving we are happy. :)

I think this is wonderful. :thumbup: I wish more people could understand that bfing doesn't have to be all-or-nothing. Combi-feeding can provide the best of both worlds, and at times, it can be the thing that keeps the breast-feeding relationship GOING! :)

We are doing a combination of formula and BF. We started when she was 2 days old, and I LOVE it.

The most important thing is that my OH is able to bond with the baby. When she is being FF it is all on him. He prepares the formula and gives it to her. It allows me time to do other chores, rest, or sleep. But most importantly it gives him an opportunity to have one on one time with our new daughter. He very much enjoys it. The cleaning of the bottles is not too much of a hassle for me, only because I am super tidy and clean frequently, lol.

All that being said, I still do enjoy the breast feeding experience. I breast fed my son until he was 18 months old, and never got out of the breast feeding mentality. I think with this one I will stop around 6 months, or so.

Our current schedule is he gives her a bottle first thing in the morning and right before bed time. The formula does help her sleep longer and better. We try to give her no more than 3 bottles a day, but that is us just being conservative financially. Really, it doesn't matter whether it is breast or bottle. As long as she is surviving and thriving we are happy. :)

I think this is wonderful. :thumbup: I wish more people could understand that bfing doesn't have to be all-or-nothing. Combi-feeding can provide the best of both worlds, and at times, it can be the thing that keeps the breast-feeding relationship GOING! :)

Absolutely formula can be used to keep bf going, I agree entirely (I used it that way) but it has to be underpinned by empowering women to make choices based on correct info. So if a Mum wants bf to be exclusive she shouldn't be undermined by people telling her they resent not being able to help, or expressing surprise at frequent feed schedule, or quoting how someone else's baby sleeps through. I'm so glad that pansorie had such a great combination feeding experience but a lot of people would have struggled to keep their breastmilk supply going under the same circumstances. As long as a Mum understands that possibility and how to combat it if it occurs etc.etc. then that is fine. There should be no rules, just information and support.

It CAN work against a woman's supply, noonchild. But, you don't often hear of women talking about how formula can be used to keep breastfeeding going, either. Lactation consultants often do not assist women in how to combi-feed, and how to do so in a way that preserves a woman's milk supply...it's like there's this all or nothing mentality with breastfeeding that seems to prevail, and it certainly does not have to be the case.

And as far as pumping goes, I can tell you from my own personal experience, that pumping was tough for me. Not only because I barely got any milk from it, having IGT (I could pump for 40 minutes, and only get 10 mls between BOTH breasts), but it's time consuming, and basically a hassle. You have to clean your pump parts, store your milk, thaw your milk, AND make up bottles, vs. just making up bottles of formula and popping them in the fridge. For me, pumping truly sucked. Now, there are other women who find the extra work involved in pumping to be rewarding, sure. I would say that if breastfeeding and maintaining your supply is really important to you, to try pumping FIRST, and if that's annoying, THEN give formula a try. But, there's nothing wrong with skipping pumping, and going right to formula, either. As long as you have access to clean/safe drinking water, you can't lose, whether you continue breastfeeding, or decide to try formula.

And as far as pumping goes, I can tell you from my own personal experience, that pumping was tough for me. Not only because I barely got any milk from it, having IGT (I could pump for 40 minutes, and only get 10 mls between BOTH breasts), but it's time consuming, and basically a hassle. You have to clean your pump parts, store your milk, thaw your milk, AND make up bottles, vs. just making up bottles of formula and popping them in the fridge. For me, pumping truly sucked. Now, there are other women who find the extra work involved in pumping to be rewarding, sure. I would say that if breastfeeding and maintaining your supply is really important to you, to try pumping FIRST, and if that's annoying, THEN give formula a try. But, there's nothing wrong with skipping pumping, and going right to formula, either. As long as you have access to clean/safe drinking water, you can't lose, whether you continue breastfeeding, or decide to try formula.

Pumping doesnt take any longer than anything else. Its also not a hassle.

You clean the bottles and flanges just like youd clean a formula bottle.

You dont have to store or freeze your milk. you can just pump right into a bottle and feed the baby that same bottle. Thawing the milk isnt much different than heating up a formula bottle. No big deal. You dont make up the bottle either- theres no mixing.

You had a bad pumping experience, doesnt mean everyone will.

and no one should sit there for 40minutes pumping. Did you see an LC for that?

Absolutely formula can be used to keep bf going, I agree entirely (I used it that way) but it has to be underpinned by empowering women to make choices based on correct info. So if a Mum wants bf to be exclusive she shouldn't be undermined by people telling her they resent not being able to help, or expressing surprise at frequent feed schedule, or quoting how someone else's baby sleeps through. I'm so glad that pansorie had such a great combination feeding experience but a lot of people would have struggled to keep their breastmilk supply going under the same circumstances. As long as a Mum understands that possibility and how to combat it if it occurs etc.etc. then that is fine. There should be no rules, just information and support.

Yeah, I combo fed with my first as well, because he was a Failure to thrive. I actually ended up weaning him from the formula around 3 months old, and then exclusively breastfed until he was 18 months old.

My LC told me as long as I am nursing 8x a day supply should not be an issue. Because of my previous positive experience, it never really occurred to me about supply being an issue. But all women are different, and they should definitely be aware and consult the appropriate professionals.

Pumping doesnt take any longer than anything else. Its also not a hassle.

You clean the bottles and flanges just like youd clean a formula bottle.

You dont have to store or freeze your milk. you can just pump right into a bottle and feed the baby that same bottle. Thawing the milk isnt much different than heating up a formula bottle. No big deal. You dont make up the bottle either- theres no mixing.

You had a bad pumping experience, doesnt mean everyone will.

and no one should sit there for 40minutes pumping. Did you see an LC for that?

I encourage you to please re-read my post, and then re-read it again, if necessary. I stated that some people DO find pumping worth it, and rewarding. I was merely sharing my experience with it. I DID pump, and FOR ME, it WAS a hassle. I find it interesting that you're telling me that it's not, because FOR ME, IT WAS.

Did I see an LC for my bfing issues? Yes. I saw 4 of them, actually. I even paid for a private one. And as I stated above, I ended up being diagnosed with IGT, which is why I could pump and pump, and then get NOTHING. My breasts by design were not created to produce, and my milk glands are essentially deformed and defective. I encourage you to Google "insufficient glandular tissue", "IGT", or "tubular breasts" if you need further info into this very real condition. It's not terribly common, but it happens, and really puts a serious kabosh on breastfeeding. Because of this, formula truly was my only option, and I am totally at peace with this, and comfortable with it in my head and heart.

As I stated before, pumping can be fine, but it was NOT for me, and I hated every second of it. Someone else could have a totally different experience with it, and I know there are those who enjoy it, and find it rewarding. These are all things I said before. :thumbup:

I agree with Wookie. Pumping was a hassle for me as well, and even as a fastidious person I felt that the cleaning up afterwards was a super hassle. That being said, I am forced to pump this time around due to my job, and the idea of cleaning up while at work is annoying me already. Pumping is definitely not for every breast feeding mom.

Yeah. I have a good friend who formula-fed her first, exclusively breast-fed her second, and now exclusively pumps for her third baby, and only has him latch twice a day. She DESPISES pumping, but bless her heart, he's nearly a year, and she's kept it up! Now that's she's gone back to work as a teacher, she has to pump at least part of the time, but she really does not enjoy it, and I can tell she's looking forward to weaning him from his bottles soon.

Infant feeding choice is such an intimate and personal thing, and it's important that every woman do what is right for her and her baby. That's not always breastfeeding, although society has a hard time admitting that right now, I believe. There are options, and really, when a woman finds something that works and clicks, whether that be EBF, pumping, formula, combi-feeding, or using a supplemental nursing system, it's really fine. What is important, is to feed the baby when the baby needs feeding!

^^ Pretty much all of what has been said. I received very little help when it came to formula feeding, although the hospital, nurses/OBs, and paperwork was content to shove breastfeeding down my throat even though I refused. I'd love to see a support network established for all mommas and the choices they make. :)

What support do you really need for FF?

They give you samples and bottles. You have WIC if need be.

Well, no one in my L&D ward (which is considered EXCELLENT, btw, and quite state-of-the-art) provided any information on safe formula-feeding guidelines, storage, handling formula bottles, etc. We were trying to breastfeed our first, but it was very apparent to everyone up there that we were struggling, and that my baby needed to eat. We were given donor breastmilk up there to supplement with while we were trying to get H to latch, and while I pumped, etc., but it became very apparent that formula was something we would have to possibly resort to. And NO INFORMATION was given to us about what types were out there, how to prepare bottles safely, how much to feed per weight, etc. That's because there is now an assumption that MOST WOMEN want to breastfeed.

Look, I get WIC myself. They don't provide any info either, trust me. The big push, particularly in hospitals that have joined the BFI (Baby-Friendly Initiative), is for all women to breast-feed, whether that was their intention or not. It's everywhere. We have celebrity moms posing for nursing shoots while riding motorcycles, for pete's sake. There are discounts provided by my local newborn photographer for nursing shoots, and everything else is a much higher price. It's definitely the more "approved" and smiled-upon infant feeding option right now. That's fine. It just wasn't meant for me, and I think a lot of other moms can say this also.

No one gave me any bottles, either. I did get some formula samples in the mail at one point, but they were not what I ended up feeding to either of my kids. LOL! I definitely bought my own bottles for both babies.

I am currently breast feeding my 5 week old and I BF my older child til 6 months. I'm finding it really hard second time around. He isn't a good feeder and I'm struggling with it all being up to me.

I am considering formula feeding to spread some of the load between me and my OH. Is it easier than breast feeing i.e. they sleep better/longer and I can leave him with OH or parents for longer to get a break?

Don't want to swap and then find formula is just as bad as I know breast is best.

Feeling confused, tired and stressed!!!

To get back to OPs quote, I don't think it is really a question of whether formula is easier or not. It is a question of how to make the feeding style you have chose WORK FOR YOU.

If bf is stressful because there is actually something going wrong with milk extraction (shallow latch for example) an immediate suggestion to top up with formula may actually make the problem worse or more stressful because of ensuring a continuation of supply, and other avenues of help may work better (like the help of a breastfeeding counsellor).

If breastfeeding is going well but normal baby behaviour (feeding more frequently than 4 hours, growth spurts, cluster feeding, wanting to be held all the time etc.) is being misinterpreted as a "problem" with breastfeeding, then again formula top up may make the problem worse and is unnecessary. It makes me sad when I hear people say they topped up just because "you have to, don't you" as if breastfeeding never works!

However if you just WANT to use some formula, then that is UP TO YOU. As long as you are informed about how/whether it might impact your breastfeeding relationship and the possible health implications, then all parenting decisions are a matter of personal choice.

A lot of the behaviour we think of as "breastfeeding behaviour" is really just newborn behaviour and whatever the feeding method, newborns just want Mum (Google 4th trimester). I remember thinking "Oh for Gods sake just GET OFF ME FOR 2 MINUTES" but it doesn't last forever! Honestly it does get better.

The other thing that doesn't last is often other people's commitment to sharing the load. I tried to get my OH to feed pumped milk/formula but he never used to wake when LO was crying and by the time I got him up I may as well have done it myself! He did do evening feeds for a bit but the enthusiasm soon decreased :growlmad: I hope this isn't true for you but it is quite a common complaint among people I know.

I am currently breast feeding my 5 week old and I BF my older child til 6 months. I'm finding it really hard second time around. He isn't a good feeder and I'm struggling with it all being up to me.

I am considering formula feeding to spread some of the load between me and my OH. Is it easier than breast feeing i.e. they sleep better/longer and I can leave him with OH or parents for longer to get a break?

Don't want to swap and then find formula is just as bad as I know breast is best.

Feeling confused, tired and stressed!!!

To get back to OPs quote, I don't think it is really a question of whether formula is easier or not. It is a question of how to make the feeding style you have chose WORK FOR YOU.

If bf is stressful because there is actually something going wrong with milk extraction (shallow latch for example) an immediate suggestion to top up with formula may actually make the problem worse or more stressful because of ensuring a continuation of supply, and other avenues of help may work better (like the help of a breastfeeding counsellor).

If breastfeeding is going well but normal baby behaviour (feeding more frequently than 4 hours, growth spurts, cluster feeding, wanting to be held all the time etc.) is being misinterpreted as a "problem" with breastfeeding, then again formula top up may make the problem worse and is unnecessary. It makes me sad when I hear people say they topped up just because "you have to, don't you" as if breastfeeding never works!

However if you just WANT to use some formula, then that is UP TO YOU. As long as you are informed about how/whether it might impact your breastfeeding relationship and the possible health implications, then all parenting decisions are a matter of personal choice.

A lot of the behaviour we think of as "breastfeeding behaviour" is really just newborn behaviour and whatever the feeding method, newborns just want Mum (Google 4th trimester). I remember thinking "Oh for Gods sake just GET OFF ME FOR 2 MINUTES" but it doesn't last forever! Honestly it does get better.

The other thing that doesn't last is often other people's commitment to sharing the load. I tried to get my OH to feed pumped milk/formula but he never used to wake when LO was crying and by the time I got him up I may as well have done it myself! He did do evening feeds for a bit but the enthusiasm soon decreased :growlmad: I hope this isn't true for you but it is quite a common complaint among people I know.

This is great info! :thumbup:

What support do you really need for FF?

They give you samples and bottles. You have WIC if need be.

I also think there should be support in regards to mental and emotional needs of the mother if she chooses to FF. One can simply do a search on choosing for formula feed and you see women express words of guilt, shame, feeling like a failure because they choose the bottle over the breast.

This thread alone proves the point even moreso.

Similac has the right idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me9yrREXOj4

I'm so glad I found this thread. I feel like I'm home here. :cry: Can we keep this thread going forever?

Wookie, pumping was hard for me too. I saw countless LCs (both public and private) and my little man still couldn't latch. Since found out that my nipples were to blame. NO ONE can possibly say I didn't try hard enough or I gave up too quickly. My little guy never had formula because LCs made me feel like the stuff was poison and there was absolutely no way I could ever entertain the idea of giving that to my baby. I've written a longer version here in the "feeding without shame" thread.

In my case, FF would have definitely been easier. Pumping was awful. If you have oversupply like I did and you're producing way more than your little one needs you have to pack the milk away and store it. We bought a 200 litre deep freezer and I filled the whole thing in 4 months as well as filling my son's bottles. I even had to store milk in my mum's spare freezer and then donate what I had no room for to the mother's milk bank. Organising all of this, sterilising pumping equipment each time, feeding my son, not being able to cuddle my son because I had a stupid pump attached to my chest, or not being able to hold my son because he'd trigger a very painful and massive letdown... not to mention having to pump every few hours to avoid engorgement was horrible. LCs and the breastfeeding support hotline were of no help whatsoever. They all told me to keep persisting even though I was in a lot of pain and clearly getting depressed.

Yes, FF would have been an absolute breeze. I could have actually slept a little bit! My little guy started to have bottles of formula after a very long and excruciating weaning off the pump and after he finished all the frozen milk we had saved. That was after he turned one. I couldn't believe how easy it was, especially after all those LCs convinced me what a hassle it was. Pfft! It was amazing!

Exclusive pumping is a lot of extra work, IMO! It's an entire extra step. You pump and THEN you feed.

As of last week, my little one is exclusively formula fed. I do have some expressed milk in my fridge that will be used in a pinch (such as when I'm all out of formula and have to go buy more), but I am so much more relaxed now that we are strictly on the bottle.

Breastfeeding is the biological norm, but bottle feeding is a perfectly good alternative for those of us who simply prefer not to nurse.

Pansorie, I'm very interested in combi-feeding. What sort of BFing/pumping schedule did you start out with?

Pansorie, I'm very interested in combi-feeding. What sort of BFing/pumping schedule did you start out with?

She sleeps and is very satiated on the formula, so we started with a bottle before her bedtime and a bottle in the morning (when she wakes up at night) and we have pretty much stuck to that, although we have added a few formula feedings.

But for the most part our schedule is: she breast feeds all day long. If we give her a bottle during the day it is after she has breast fed for a while. For example, yesterday I was on the couch and nursed her on and off for 3 hours before I said it was time for a bottle (I think she is going through a growth spurt). I have also pumped after, before, and while nursing. I had read on the La Leche forums that pumping before nursing can be a good idea because you pump out all the foremilk and the baby gets the hindmilk.

In general I try to pump or feed her at least every two hours. I pump for 15 minutes (both sides) but I will sit and feed her for as long as she wants, or until I am just tired of nursing. That being said, if she gets hungry and I am taking a nap my OH will give her a bottle instead of waking me up. If he has breast milk on hand he mixes it with the formula.

I go back to work in August, and I am more concerned about my supply then than the supplementing that we are doing now. My state does not have any breast feedings laws, so in a 10 hour shift I will only be able to pump 3 times, for less than an hour the entire shift. Hopefully with only being on the weekends it won't be too much of an issue.

I had read your previous post about your experience with breast feeding, and I found it all to be so discouraging. I think the Breast is Best campaign uses language that leaves people feeling shamed and guilty for choosing to formula feed. When I read about women who choose formula feeding there's almost an air of defensiveness because of the militant style that breast feeding is pushed these days. It's like we have to defend our choices, when really it shouldn't matter.

I myself am still on the fence on how long I am planning to nurse my daughter. Fifteen years ago I nursed my son until he was 17 months old, and it was a great experience. But in all honesty I am on the fence on how much I want to breast feed this time around. My OH really enjoys feeding our daughter, and I have so much going on. As of right now, I am playing it by ear, although there is this nagging feeling of guilt in my mind if I choose to stop early.

I had read your previous post about your experience with breast feeding, and I found it all to be so discouraging. I think the Breast is Best campaign uses language that leaves people feeling shamed and guilty for choosing to formula feed.

In the UK no one (professional) is supposed to be using the breast is best language. It was abandoned in favour of things like "Breastfeeding: every feed counts/helps" for EXACTLY the reasons you state. It actually discouraged women from seeking help with bf (and maybe combi feeding or supplementing) and these women swapped straight to for una without wanting to talk to a health pro about their struggles with bf.

Yeah, there are definitely the "lactivists" who have created a sort of shaming culture directed at women who formula feed. I even had someone on BnB tell me that I was feeding my daughter "crap" and that I was "poisoning" her in one of my friend's journals, and that I didn't "try hard enough" to breastfeed her. What a horrible attitude toward mothers, who are doing their best. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->