is having ur teeth polished painful?

mummyof3babas

Reaction score
Booking for my teeth polished monday & heard its very painful :/ xx

No, you feel a bit of pressure but it's not sore if your teeth aren't sensitive and you don't have any issues with your gums.

It's not painful, but can be annoying if your teeth are sensitive. For me it's the same feeling as having a sensitive tooth and drinking something really cold. If you find it painful you can always ask them to just do it slowly with a few breaks :flower:

It doesn't hurt at all! In fact, I fell asleep in the chair while they were doing my cleaning in May.

thanks, my gums are really sensitive so il more than likely feel a lil discomfort but at least il have nicely polished teeth after:Dzxx

Maybe Im confused but in the US you are supposed to have your teeth polished/cleaned every 6 months by the dentist so most people get it done regularly from children. Is getting teeth polished different in UK?

Maybe Im confused but in the US you are supposed to have your teeth polished/cleaned every 6 months by the dentist so most people get it done regularly from children. Is getting teeth polished different in UK?

No it is done on a regular basis here as well.

Are you talking about a scale and polish? :) some people find them to be quite sensitive on their teeth as the water can be quite cold. A lot of people also don't think the water filling their mouths, best thing is to keep calm and breath through your nose, the nurse will get the water, don't try swallow it all!

Some people don't get s&ps that regularly, totally depends on how much plaque builds up etc. I've only ever had one.

I found it sensitive while pregnant - I wasnt in a hurry to have it done again :haha: but it was fine!

I don't think i have had this done ever :S ? or is this something the dentist just does lol and i haven't ever thought anything of it ?!

I don't think i have had this done ever :S ? or is this something the dentist just does lol and i haven't ever thought anything of it ?!

I'm with her ... I've never had it that I know of?
I know my dad and husband have had it done, but they were send to a mouth hygienist for it? Does the dentist usually do it? Clueless! Either way, seeing as I have rather sensitive teeth at the moment I think I'll pass.

I had a scale and polish a week after giving birth and it hurt alot. But the times after were fine just a slight discomfort.

I go to the dentist every 6 months but he doesn't always do it every visit.. but anyway I've never found it to hurt or be uncomfortable, when I was pregnant he did make my gums bleed a bit and that was a bit sore but other than that I'm fine.

The dentist should suggest you get it done, I thought everyone had them?
I don't get them every six months, but maybe yearly.
I find they sort of hurt but but enough to need to tell them to stop :)

I find it painful. It's strange because I've never had any issues with my teeth - no fillings, no decay, nothing like that, but I do find it painful when they do the clean/polish thing at the dentist. And there's always loads of blood I end up spitting out afterwards.

My friend saw a private dentist who said they should be done every few months, in reality the NHS don't seem to acknowledge this and I've never had one done xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->