Is high birth weight hereditary?

OMG I hope not! I´ve been worrying about this as me and my siblings were all pretty big babies. I was 10 weeks early and 4.1lb. One of my brothers was 3 weeks early and 10.4lb. Another brother was 2 weeks early and 11.5lb. (my mum said it was like giving birth to a Christmas turkey!) My other brother and sister were normal weights. She did actually tell me that the doctor told her that any baby over 9lb is almost certainly due to the mother having diabetes. Not sure if this is true though???

My M-I-L did have GD with my 10lb hubby, but my sugars were normal for my 3 little chunkers.

Just before I gave birth I asked how big my consultant thought LO was. He said the biggest guide to what size of baby you'll have is the size of babies your mother had, if she had big babies it's likely you will too and like wise if she had small babies it's likely you will.

my 6ft6in husband was 6lb8oz at birth(2weeks overdue ) i was 7lb 5oz ( on my due date ) and our ds1 was 9lb 10oz 13 days overdue and ds2 10lb 12oz 11 days overdue for us the big babies come from my family with my mum having had 2 10lb + babies nobody in DH's family was over 8lbs at birth. you cant grow a huge baby if your body doesnt have room for it (with exceptions for cases of Gestational diabetes of course but even then its very rare to get a baby big enough that a mother cant deliever it naturally )

out of my 2 births my second ( bigger ) was by far easier the labor was shorter and the birth was 100% natural where ds1 was an assisted birth. imo bigger babies are easier to give birth to esp if you opt for a natural upright/mobile labor and an upright position for delivery as gravity helps

oh and i showed no signs of GD and had the tests with ds2 just to be sure, getting tested again this time and expecting to have nother 10lb+ baby lol

i was 12lb1oz my smallest baby has been 8lbs 10oz and the largest was 11lbs10oz and he was born at 36wks!

At my last check up my doctor asked my OH, how much he weighed at birth to kind of give an idea of how much our baby would weigh. However it didn't do any good to ask because my OH was born in Iraq during a time when they didn't record birth information etc. because everyone there was born at home. My doctor said he thinks since my OH is a tall big built man that he thinks our baby will be kind of large.

I was 5lb 7oz when I was born (full term) but my kids were both 7lb 15oz

Me and my siblings were all around 8-9lbs at birth but we were all 2-3 weeks early. My DS was 10lb 1.5 at 41 weeks, but i did put on loads of weight with him which apparently affects the weight of your baby.

Just had my GTT today for GD just to be on the safe side. Although this lo is currently measuring 10 days ahead. I'm trying not to put on too much weight this pregnancy though, easier said than done :haha:

I know my grandfather was 12lbs something born and my mother has had 7 children ranging from 7lbs12oz to 10lbs1oz

I was 8lbs4oz and my OH was 8lbs3oz he is 6ft4 and I am 5ft3 hmm lol!

Our first born our son was 15 days OD and 10lbs 10.5oz 57cm long and our daughter was born 38w0d and 9lbs1oz 58cm long. I have no idea how this worked out but do know that for thier measurements they were heavy.

All the way through my pregnancy I measured 4+ more than i was on both and they were not fat and still aren't. my daughter was delivered at 38w because an ultrasound showed she was measuring 42w+ at 37+4 so yeah thats us.

I have no idea

I think genes play a big role in the size of the baby. They affect the height the child will eventually be, so I expect it's the same. I was 9lb 5oz, my DH was about 7lb, and Alice was 8lb 7oz, so in the middle!

A bit of an aside, but I remember seeing a documentary where a man was researching birth weights and health, and it seems like a high birth weight has positive effects on health throughout the child's life.

I think genes play a big role in the size of the baby. They affect the height the child will eventually be, so I expect it's the same. I was 9lb 5oz, my DH was about 7lb, and Alice was 8lb 7oz, so in the middle!

A bit of an aside, but I remember seeing a documentary where a man was researching birth weights and health, and it seems like a high birth weight has positive effects on health throughout the child's life.

Agree - I was over 10lb, and hubby was 8lb 12 at 38 weeks. Earl was 9lb 6 so in the middle. Hubby is over 6ft and Earl is tall (75th percentile average).

No idea what this one will be, but I was put forward a week at my first scan!! :wacko:

I've read that heredity does play some role, but there are also exceptions. DH was 9+ and I was 7+, but I was taken early via section. I'm 36 weeks and am predicted to have a 9-10lb baby. To date, my doctor is planning on me delivering vaginally - saying I at least need to "test drive" birthing a big baby.

How heavy was your baby after all? :)

I've heard it is - I was 10lb 8oz, my sister was 9.5lbs, my mother was 9.8lbs and my uncle was 10lbs. I am 5'4 and usually weigh 8.5/9 stone so by no means overweight. I'm hoping it doesn't tally that Baby will weigh ove the 10lb - genuinely worried about the natural birth if so!!!

All the babys in my DH side have been big the only small 1 was 1 grandson that was 9 weeks early and weighted 6lbs they have all been over 8lbs. My 2 was 9lbs 3 and 8lbs3 my sister has small babys in the 6lb-7lbs i was 9lbs 3 and my sister was 13lbs something. So i know this baby will be a big 1 agane.

I'm curious if anyone knows how hereditary high birth weight is? Both my OH and his sister were large at birth (I want to say about 10lbs and 9lbs respectively) and were pretty chubby as babies (SIL likes to say she never actually crawled, but rather rolled around until she learned to walk!) I'm wondering how much OH's weight at birth will influence our future children's birth weight. :shrug: Myself, I was an average sized infant (7lbs and I think 6oz or 8oz).

I have to admit, one reason I'm wondering is that I've got cattle, and I know the males make a pretty big contribution to the size of the calves at birth. Curious if there's any kind of correlation there between cattle and people. :haha:

I am not sure but my friend had a 9 pounds baby and she is really slim but because she is tall as well, midwives were not expecting such a big baby. Anyway, she told me that the father was a big baby (even tho he is normal weight now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->