Is it Autism or something else?

Deutschette

Mum of 1!
Reaction score
My nephew, Josh, is 5 and supposedly has Autism and/or ADHD. He is very quiet, plays well on his own, but around others, he often makes a scene, throws extreme tantrums, beats other kids up and hits his older brother on purpose, often without sensible reasoning. Just 2 days ago, he threw a rock which was the size of a silver dollar at his brother's head (and hit dead on, resulting in an ER visit). His reasoning: "I thought he was going to be mean to me." :huh: He also unbuckled my 1-year-old daughter's car seat mid-ride, despite knowing he shouldn't do such a thing.

My brother is at his wits end. He avoids the topic and won't send him for therapy or anything. Instead, he keeps him on his ADHD medicine which doesn't do a thing to help.

There is one thing, though, that struck me as even more odd. After getting mad at his older brother over a game, my nephew hid under the bed. While attempting to talk him into coming out from under the bed, he told me something quite random: he said there are two of him. There's the "regular Josh" and then there is another version of him, also named Josh, who lives with a little girl from his daycare center (and also beats up other kids). I asked him if he meant it for pretend or real and he said real. Both are real. He wasn't joking. He was completely serious about it.

Is this normal in Autism or is it a sign of something else?

I am by no means certified in anything like this. I was a guard in a jail for 4 years before I had my LO and decided to stay home with her. If for his age he is saying this, it sounds to me that he may have a personality disorder. This is just my personal opinion though.

Vmazzotta, I appreciate your response. :flower: I actually agree with you saying that he may have a personality disorder. It struck me as quite odd that he would say such a thing. He is by no means a creative child and actually seems to lack in the fantasy department.

What would be the best way to approach my brother about this? He's already at his wits end.

You could always suggest that any sort of assessment will help get Josh treatment that he needs. Treatment doesn't always been pills to take either, he could visit an occupational therapist who will help him understand and deal with the things that upset him.

In the long run, its best to get everything figured out so that they can get game plans in place to assist him better. You'd think with him being at his wits end that he'd want to do anything possible to make it easier to deal with.

That's where I'm at right now. Totally at the end of my rope, I need help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->