Is it important to take some holidays before getting pregnant?

Wnt2beAMom

Reaction score
Hey,

I am really excited to start a family, we want to have our student debt paid off ($25,000) and buy a house by the time a baby comes. With our budget we have mapped out that means we can start trying in April.

However, I realize there is no money left aside for any traveling and once a baby is here and I am on mat leave our situation still won't have money to travel. So I am contemplating pushing our TTC date to our one year anniversary in September....just so we can afford a good holiday/honeymoon. I really want to have a baby but I see so many other people getting to take holidays and I have always said that a good marriage starts with a honeymoon lol.

The other thing I am thinking is maybe we won't get pregnant right away and if we don't get pregnant by September we could take a holiday then whilst still trying....opinions??

You can go on holiday, even if your pregnant.
I personally wouldn't put off TTC if it was me.
:)

It is not important. We're just doing it for fun, we don't feel the need to have a childless-blowout or anything. :wacko: Just a fun holiday. And we will continue to go on holiday with a child. Can't wait to take my baby camping when they're a few months old.

If you can't afford a fancy holiday, what about just a weekend away? Or a night at a hotel?

I tottaly would. We have held off TTC so I won't be pregnant on our wedding day or honeymoon. Iv been on holiday pregnant and it was pretty shit Tbh. Nearly puked while waiting in the line at security as I still had morning sickness, couldn't drink alcohol, wouldn't eat half the food as I didn't know how it was prepared, had to watch how much sun I had as my skin was more sensitive to the heat, my hands and feet were swollen with the heat, I was exhausted so needed a nap after lunch. Really would not recommend it.

And once baby's here, well my daughter is 3 and apart from visiting family we have not been on holiday. There is just so much extra stuff to sort and worry about. We might go away next year when she wil be 3.5.

Plenty of time for kids but once they are here you can't go back. I think it's great to have a good holiday before ttc to have some good together time before ttc. It's only a few months you'd delay by and what better time too start ttc than on holiday honeymoon?!

We compromised and did a "small" honeymoon. Drove to one city for a concert one week, and then to another city to spend a few days with friends. I ended up getting pregnant during one of the trips, so it worked out perfectly for us! We have no regrets about not taking some big trip before having Evelyn. Instead we're planning to go to Disney World with her next summer when she's a year old with all the money we saved from not going on a full honeymoon. Getting to take a big trip with both of my sweethearts and having those memories will beyond priceless!

We have gone on quite a few trips within Canada and the US. We would like to go someplace in Europe, perhaps London, since I have family there that have said we could stay at their place. I guess there are just too many things we need to figure out first. Like if we are going to have to move in April and when we can book work off to take holidays...It sucks having to wait on other things to get settled before making big decisions.

I would go on holiday! My husband as I put off TTC until after our 3 week trip to Argentina as we were doing a weeks horse riding and obviously wouldn't have wanted to do that whilst pregnant. Worked out perfectly though, as started trying as soon as finished the riding, and came home with a lovely souvenir ;-)

Those 3 weeks of drinking wine, eating steak and seeing an absolutely beautiful place were a brilliant "end" to us being a couple as now any family trips won't involve such decadence or long haul travel! So far we have been away to Cornwall and Scotland in the car!

You definitely can travel with a baby (as a lovely lady on here is proving to me with her young son, she's traveling more than me currently!) but there are a lot of trips that are much easier without a baby and I imagine the tempo of your holiday is different when you have to worry about feeding/nap times.

I love traveling so I'd personally go on a holiday if you're not rushed for time TTC wise. I'm considering putting my NTNP date back a bit too so I can go do some non child friendly holidays in India and Africa.

Of course you can go on holiday while pregnant or with bubs, but you've waited this long, what's another two-week vacation!? I'd definitely do it :yipee:

I would go on holiday!
I went on an amazing holiday a few years back, and we enjoyed it so much we are going next summer again! It was 5* luxury, eating out at the nice restaurants every night, working our way through the cocktail menu, long walks on the beach at night, a few nights out clubbing, reading books and sightseeing all day. Realistically, we would never do that holiday if we had kids - firstly, it was a 10 hour flight plus a long transfer, with a six hour time difference. We struggled to cope, never mind a small baby! Secondly, it would be way too warm for a baby or a small child. Thirdly, the child would be bored, some of the restaurants didn't allow kids, and we couldn't go clubbing or drink as much whilst away as a family. Cost would also be a factor as it cost us £4000 for just two people, although babies go free until they are two.
I guess it was a bit of a rite of passage for us. We are not particularly adventurous people, but it has given us amazing memories so we are going to have at least one blow out holiday before it is all kids pools and burger bars!
It is very much a personal thing, but for me it was really important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->