Is it my left or their left side.

TeiganMax

Reaction score
Hi bit of a weird question. A few years ago I swear I remember being taught that in medical terms the left side is opposite to a normal persons left side. For example we class our left side as the side that's at our left, however I have always thought in medical terms they look at it as if the human body was in front of you and the left is what's on there left. Have I lost everyone? So if they were looking at us face to face their left would be my right? I'm only asking this cos I recently had surgery where they removed my left tube. It wasn't till recently I remembered what I thought I heard years ago. I just want to make sure I know which side my tube was removed so I can look out for ovulation signs.

Sorry for this long and confusing thread lol.

Ignore it if I have this all wrong.

XxxX

Yes, that is true- anatomically speaking.... but when they are talking to YOU about it- they should be referring to it as YOU know it for your body. I just anatomy and physiology so I understand exactly what you're talking about. If they were in the operating room- it would be described one way- but when they tell you they are taking out your left tube- it is the left as YOU know it :) :hugs:

Hey thank you. That's what I was getting confused about cos when I had the scan she kept holding it to what I know as my right and will be there left but they told me it was a left ectopic?? However when the consultant came to get me to sign the consent form for the op whilst he was explaining it he touched his left side. I must have just been remembering her holding the scan for so long to my right side cos otherwise that would mean I should of had an ectopic In my right. My head was so all over the place that I didn't think to ask them at the hospital if it was my left side as I know it.

This is so confusing.

Xx

If you lost your left tube then thats what they will refer to it as aswell. I lost my right tube 8 weeks ago through ruptured ectopic and all my paperwork refers to it as right side too. So I now just have my left tube but have both ovaries. Ive ovulated twice since ectopic and have had ov pains just on my good (left) side, we have started trying again after waiting for 1 period first am now in my first 2 week wait since the surgery :D Am pretty nervous as I am already at increased risk of ectopic on top of the 10-15% higher risk because of the 1st ectopic because I had tubal surgery last year as both my tubes were blocked. The fact that we will definately get an early scan does make me feel slightly better.

If you lost your left tube then thats what they will refer to it as aswell. I lost my right tube 8 weeks ago through ruptured ectopic and all my paperwork refers to it as right side too. So I now just have my left tube but have both ovaries. Ive ovulated twice since ectopic and have had ov pains just on my good (left) side, we have started trying again after waiting for 1 period first am now in my first 2 week wait since the surgery :D Am pretty nervous as I am already at increased risk of ectopic on top of the 10-15% higher risk because of the 1st ectopic because I had tubal surgery last year as both my tubes were blocked. The fact that we will definately get an early scan does make me feel slightly better.

Hi thank you for your reply. Was you advised against trying straight away after the op? I have been told 3 months but I can't wait that long. I want to start TTC after my first af but my partner is not sure?

Xx

To be honest the hospital were pretty crap after our surgery they didnt tell us anything and said no follow up appointment was necessary. After 5 weeks I had to see the doctor about my stitches as they werent coming out (again mistake on hospitals part telling me they were dissolvable when they werent) anyway while there I asked her when could we start trying again and she said when ever we wanted too :D She said that the waiting 3 months thing was out dated. To be honest I felt ready to try before I even had a period (I ovulated 3 weeks after ectopic) but my o/h didnt think we should, so I had to go along with that. I think you have to go with how you feel. Once I had my 1st period my o/h was fine with trying again.

To be honest the hospital were pretty crap after our surgery they didnt tell us anything and said no follow up appointment was necessary. After 5 weeks I had to see the doctor about my stitches as they werent coming out (again mistake on hospitals part telling me they were dissolvable when they werent) anyway while there I asked her when could we start trying again and she said when ever we wanted too :D She said that the waiting 3 months thing was out dated. To be honest I felt ready to try before I even had a period (I ovulated 3 weeks after ectopic) but my o/h didnt think we should, so I had to go along with that. I think you have to go with how you feel. Once I had my 1st period my o/h was fine with trying again.

Thank you that has helped me a lot. I have had such great support and I know by my first cycle I will be ready to try again. Like I keep saying to my OH if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen whether it's in 6 weeks or 12 weeks after surgery. Just gotta prove this to the other half. Did you have any bleeding after the op?

Xx

I had some bleeding for around 4 days but it wasnt as heavy as my normal period, after that I had 2 weeks of brown discharge which doctor said was my body getting back to normal. My first period wasnt to bad either same as it usually is.

I had 5 days of bleeding and i know have pink brownish but only when i wipe and not all the time. I am getting aches down there and very very slight cramping. AF is not due for another 20 or so days but im assuming its my body healing.

I hope you get a healthy BFP.

xx

Thanks :) Its a real worry to us as prior to having the ectopic I had 2 miscarriages in a row, in all 3 losses in the space of 8 months. We have been back to the fertility clinic though and they are going to do some tests to make sure there isnt a reason for my miscarriages.

3 losses in 8 months. That is heartbreaking. I only know what its like to experience 1 loss but 3 in 8 months. My thoughts are with you and i so hope you get your healthy BFP soon. God you deserve it. You are a very strong person to still be on here trying again.
I have said to my OH i cant promise you i will be able to handle it well if it happens again and thats the truth. Whether we wait 1 month or 6 months surely the pain of going through it doesnt get easier.

XXxx

Well what can we do, we are desperate for a baby so we will never give up. We have had one thing after the other, we originally started trying in 2007. :(

I know exactly what you mean. Even if it happens again and the worse case i have to lose my right tube we will scrimp and save even if it means we go without to save up for ivf. Untill told otherwise there is always hope.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"