is it necessary to increase folic acid intake after a miscarriage?all input is welcom

mandy1971

Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone know if following a miscarriage its necessary to increase dosage of folic acid. I've read another thread recently about this and wondered if anyone had some hard facts.
Thanks x

Thanks for asking this - I would be curious to know too...

I was told that as a woman folic acid can only be good even if not pregnant and since your body absorbs what it needs and discards the rest you can't overdo it on folic acid. :)

I was told that as a woman folic acid can only be good even if not pregnant and since your body absorbs what it needs and discards the rest you can't overdo it on folic acid. :)

As far as I've found out that is true, however only for first (maybe second) trimester. In third tri it can increase the risk of the baby developing asthma. I haven't found an answer on the right dosage after a mc though.

Wow will ask my gynae next time I am there...never heard of that since all the antenatal vitamins I have found and the ones I used while pregnant with my son contain folic acid so always assumed that it would then be safe to consume after the first tri.

I should clarify that my doc told me to just continue taking the folic acid as per usual, the dosage size that mine comes in is 5mg. He also added that if I wanted I could continue taking my antenatals (which also contain 5mg) so maybe the dosage would then be 10mg?

Best guess...sorry

i have found that blood tests after a mc show my b12 as low. but i do have vit b issue so it may just be me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->