Is it normal?

Lovemybump1

Reaction score
I was having period type pains yesterday that were constant. With it I was feeling sick and had the worst heartburn I've had. After a few hours of constant cramps I phoned l and d. They wanted me to come in to get checked. Got there, was put on monitor. Baby is fine. The toco showed activity but I wasn't feeling contractions so they assumed they were bh. Cervix closed. Gave me painkillers and basically said they think it's growing and stretching pains. I had plenty of them in first tri, but it's a new one for third tri. 2 separate midwives commented on how low down baby was. They decided to keep me in and give me the first of 2 steroid injections. Is it normal to have the jab and be kept in for growing pains, or do you think because baby is so low and activity on toco (jumped up to 70 at one point) they think baby will be early? Ive got to wait for doctor now and then I have second jab either 12 or 24 hours after I had first.

Thank you in advance x

I know the stretching pain is normal for this sort of time, around 35 weeks there is one almighty growrh spurt and baby actualy doubles in size over the next 3-4 weeks alone but have no idea about the jabs.
Maybe they are just doing it as a precaution if baby is low dowm there is a chance of labour being a bit early (im talking by a week or so early not yet) but they are stubburn and your only 33 weeks so baby will probably shift ahain before then.
First lo changed his mind 4 times and shifted back round in the last 5 weeks.

Baby's head was down quite well during last mw appointment, which was 2 weeks ago. It seems baby has just moved lower down. I spent ages looking on the internet for why I'd be cramping and I didn't find anything about growing pains. It was all about preterm! It makes sense!

Thank you for your response.

Hi i am prone to preterm labour after having two previous preterm babys.
In my current pregnancy i have already had steroid injections and my babys head has been down since 18weeks. so low that hes never had his head measured on any scans. i was admitted to hospital 2weeks ago for overnight observation as i was having contractions that got up to 120 on the toco. they was coming every few minutes but my cervix was closed also. since being discharged i was told only to go back if i am in labour as i have had steroids so they will just let me deliver preterm.

i have been suffering daily with lots of painless contractions, then i go through stages where they hurt and i think im in labour but after a few hours they stop. i have also been losing bits of mucus plug and have the feeling of sickness like yourself but i have constant tiredness too.

I am still plodding along 2weeks later. they are all signs of preterm delivery but you can go weeks feeling like it :) try not to worry if your baby was born soon it would do brilliantly

Thank you for your reply. That really helped. I have the tiredness too, but also pregnancy insomnia! Hopefully it will be second jab, home and rest! They almost didnt give me the jabs because Im 33 weeks. Boderline cut off date they said. Pleased Im having it though. Despite it being ouch!!! Hope everything goes well for you.

Oh the steroid injections hurt don't they, I was so surprised at how much they actually hurt!, if you wiggle your toes they are suppose to hurt less :)

It's good that they have given them to you it will help your baby out so much. 33 weeks is a goodgestation anyway, my little girl was born at 29weeks and she only had help with her breathing for a few hours then she was breathing all by herself.. I never had steroids with her either.

I hope you can keep your baby cooking for many more weeks though :)

I'm just paranoid at the minute of every little symptom, every day I think I will be giving birth soon but I'm still here and pregnant :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->