Is it possible to feel like you are dilating?

baileybubs

Reaction score
Strange question I know but I've had a recent increase in BHs and now when I get them I feel like (sorry tmi!) I'm widening down there lol!!!! Maybe it's just all in my head but does anyone else feel like this?

It's probably all just wishful thinking coz I so badly want to vbac and not have an ELCS for going overdue lol

I don't know, but it would be interesting to know if there is a correlation between increased BH and dilating and/or effacement. So I looked and found this:

"They are not thought to have a role in dilating the cervix, but might have some impact on the softening of the cervix. However, as Braxton Hicks contractions intensify nearer the time of delivery, the contractions are often referred to as false labor. When this occurs, it can help the dilation and effacement process."

https://americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/braxtonhicks.html

Ah interesting! Thanks for that Eris. I know my luck nothing at all will be happening but it's nice to think it might be lol!

And they don't check your cervix over there until later, right? I don't really agree with having them done for seemingly no good reason every week from 35 weeks, but it's still nice to know where you are at down there.

I am not sure but I have been getting this pain inside up there along with a lot of pressure. It seriously feels like that too me but maybe that's just me being naive. It totally does feel like "widening" down there. When I googled it I read a few girls do feel a pinching or something? I am hoping my OB checks me at my appointment tomorrow but I'm actually not counting on it.

This is interesting. Im still very early for any of that (hopefully) but I feel like shooting/stabbing pain right IN my cervix and bladder area..weird!

Its possible what youre feeling is baby's head pushing on your cervix harder xx

No they don't check dilation until you are in labour over here, which is fine coz I know it's not the most comfortable experience if you aren't dilated anyways as they had to do it when they induced me with dd. I'm feeling a lot more stuff going on with this pregnancy though including the "widening" feeling.

Slowpoke yeah it's probably baby's head pressing down, hopefully he's engaging coz he was still free last time I saw the MW. I'm also bouncing on my ball and walking a lot now too so hopefully that's helping him get lower lol!!

It's a strange feeling though, are you getting it too emicakes? All feels weird down there now, and I know I'm very swollen down there too (sorry tmi!!). Let's hope it all means something!

No they don't check dilation until you are in labour over here, which is fine coz I know it's not the most comfortable experience if you aren't dilated anyways as they had to do it when they induced me with dd. I'm feeling a lot more stuff going on with this pregnancy though including the "widening" feeling.

Slowpoke yeah it's probably baby's head pressing down, hopefully he's engaging coz he was still free last time I saw the MW. I'm also bouncing on my ball and walking a lot now too so hopefully that's helping him get lower lol!!

It's a strange feeling though, are you getting it too emicakes? All feels weird down there now, and I know I'm very swollen down there too (sorry tmi!!). Let's hope it all means something!

Yes! I mean it's hard to tell if we are feeling the same thing but it sounds like what I am feeling... Like slowpoke said though maybe it's just LO heavier on our cervix's! I am also very swollen down there... I am very frustrated because I just wish I knew what was going on with my own body! Lol I went to L&D for a NST the other day due to that feeling you and I are describing SO bad I could barely walk (it felt like she was just gonna fall out) and tons of BH. The nurse seemed to not understand at all what I was talking about (the thing we are feeling) which was frustrating and confusing for me that even the nurse didn't understand... I am hoping my OB will have some more insight for me tomorrow.

I'm gonna ask my MW about it on Thursday, although I rarely get much useful info out of her anyway lol. Hope your OB can shed some more light on it for you. I'm getting the pain now as I'm typing as well as BHs, it's quite strong this time!

I believe you can feel it personally. I felt like I was dilating for a few days to the lead up I can't explain it but was a weird sensation, anyway I got to hospital and I was fully dilated!! I definately felt a tingling stretched sort of feeling that morning

Thanks catty, I was only 1cm dilated last time when they induced me and then things went a bit crazy so I don't remember feeling any dilating last time, would be nice to think it's possible lol! Maybe I'm just fooling myself though!

I'm gonna ask my MW about it on Thursday, although I rarely get much useful info out of her anyway lol. Hope your OB can shed some more light on it for you. I'm getting the pain now as I'm typing as well as BHs, it's quite strong this time!

I have also still been getting the pain today too... Is it off and on for you? It is for me.. and sometimes its SO bad and feels like that raw griddy feeling that you get when you get a pap, but it goes on for quite awhile and any movement makes it worse. But like right now it feels like a pinching/burning when I am up walking around

I haven't gotten any BH that I have noticed today.. But I was getting them last night.

I feel the same way about my OB... I don't usually get too much useful info from him, that's why I am on here!! Hahaa But hopefully something I say rings a bell..

Ouch right now it's actually quite painful! It's on and off though, maybe it's lightening crotch but when it happens I can't bring myself to move! It wasn't this strong a feeling when I first posted this thread either......hoping it's a good sign either way lol!

I am hoping it's a good sign for you!!

If dilating is the case, it wouldn't really be a good sign for me but not necessarily a bad sign either I think, I have heard people can very slowly dilate..

That's true it's a bit early for you, so I hope it's either not dilating or that you are really slowly!

I'm not so sure it is dilating for me really when I think about it coz at 40 weeks last time I was only 1cm barely. Usually most women tend to give birth around the same time with subsequent pregnancies from what I can gather.....might be wrong on that though. If that's the case I'm still 2 weeks away from due date.

Hmm I'm not sure on that one, this is my first so I haven't done much research on subsequent pregnancies. I'm interested to know what your MW says, if anything. If its not dialating I am so curious to know what it is because it is very much interfering with my daily activities! Maybe its just LO sitting in a weird nerve or something but I seriously cant find much on the feeling when I google it.. I did find some ladies saying they felt something similar and we dialating. Not saying I'm going by that, I'm just so confused why I can't find any info! Sometimes after I pee it gets worse but I was checked for a UTI twice and my urine is very clean.

So I didn't ask him specifically about dialating and maybe I should have... I just feel embarrassed about insisting on things that he knows everything about and I know nothing about. He didn't want to do another swab and said that the swab he did before doesnt pick up all different strains of BV.. so he put in a order for antibiotics for BV just to try that. Idk maybe I didn't push enough but I gave him all the info I could. So I will try the antibiotics.

Let me know what your MW says

I couldnt feel it, i was 5-6cm and 4cm when going into hosp.

However i do not agree with BH dont help, they say BH dont hurt but mine bloody well do lol

Can you feel dilation? The answer is YES. Although this is not the case for all women. Most of the time its in a subsequent pregnancy and with women who are aware of every change made in their body. However you can have that feeling, but still dilate slowly. To say you're too early to have the feeling is wrong. Not everyone goes into labor at the 40th week mark. On the other hand what you could be feeling is engagement of your baby positioning itself for labor. Which eventually leads to dilation. So they kinda go hand and hand. Hang in there not much further to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->