Is it possible to relactate?

ProudArmyWife

2 Princesses & PG with #3
Reaction score
A little background. Dd will be 8 weeks old this Thursday. We stopped bf at 2 weeks. I got very overwhelmed with the pain and frustrated with our latching issues. At first I was so happy and relieved when we started ff but here lately I'm actually missing bf LO. So my question is it even possible to try to regain a milk supply to where I could even nurse LO a couple times a day? If I squeeze my nips I can still get a small amount of milk out dont know if that makes a difference

It can be done - you need to start expressing like crazy to stimulate your nips and get your supply building up. If you LO will latch then allow comfort sucking to also build it up. There are women on here who have managed it. Good luck!

Hi, A month ago I could have written this post! Your story is almost exactly the same as mine and the timeframe is also exactly the same. By 8 weeks I could only hand express 10mls in a full day. Now 4wks later I am getting 500mls a day :) and it is still increasing daily.

My baby refused my breast and hardly latches any more but if yours will then you will have a much easier task than me.

Three weeks ago I started domperidone tablets to boost milk production and also started expressing with the medela symphony double pump 8 times a day. I got the pump through a surestart centre for free and my GP prescribed the domperidone.

Get in touch with a good breastfeeding support worker/lactation consultant. Keep looking for one that you like and who is very supportive of relactation, it took me a while to find one that actually seemed to listen to what I was wanting to do.

For now if you dont have a breast pump you should manually express as often as possible and latch baby as often as you can. Express until you cant get any more drops out and then continue for another five minutes to stimulate more production. If you can manage it express atleast once between 1am-5am as that is when your prolactin levels are highest.

Start taking fenugreek each day (available from health food stores such as holland and barret) and drink and eat enough during the day.

I think it can be done without the use of domperidone but it will probably take longer to get going.

Offer the breast every opportunity you get either for food or just for comfort, any stimulation will help.

Feel free to message me if you want :) and good luck!

Hi, A month ago I could have written this post! Your story is almost exactly the same as mine and the timeframe is also exactly the same. By 8 weeks I could only hand express 10mls in a full day. Now 4wks later I am getting 500mls a day :) and it is still increasing daily.

My baby refused my breast and hardly latches any more but if yours will then you will have a much easier task than me.

Three weeks ago I started domperidone tablets to boost milk production and also started expressing with the medela symphony double pump 8 times a day. I got the pump through a surestart centre for free and my GP prescribed the domperidone.

Get in touch with a good breastfeeding support worker/lactation consultant. Keep looking for one that you like and who is very supportive of relactation, it took me a while to find one that actually seemed to listen to what I was wanting to do.

For now if you dont have a breast pump you should manually express as often as possible and latch baby as often as you can. Express until you cant get any more drops out and then continue for another five minutes to stimulate more production. If you can manage it express atleast once between 1am-5am as that is when your prolactin levels are highest.

Start taking fenugreek each day (available from health food stores such as holland and barret) and drink and eat enough during the day.

I think it can be done without the use of domperidone but it will probably take longer to get going.

Offer the breast every opportunity you get either for food or just for comfort, any stimulation will help.

Feel free to message me if you want :) and good luck!

How easily does the gp prescribe dompedirone??

I got mine really easily, I rang up the surgery and the GP just rang me back and we discussed it over the phone and he just wrote me a prescription to collect. I think it was only that easy as I had the support of a breastfeeding support worker who got my health visitor to have a talk with the doctor first. I know some GPs can apparently be resistant to prescribe it. If you print out info from sites regarding relactation to take in and show the GP it may help. I will try an find some links for you.

If you cant get it through the GP you can buy it over the counter as 'motilium' however it is expensive at £5 for a box of 10... And I am taking 6 a day :/. You can also buy online from different websites but the one I have heard good reviews about is inhousepharmacy. They have three different brand of domperidone the best value being 'vomistop' (domperidone is an anti-nausea drug with a side effect of milk production). There is an extra tax/vat thing to get it shipped into the UK and im not sure what it is so double check before you pay.

On one of the brands of domperidone on inhouse pharmacy it actually says in the description of the drug the doseage that should be used for lactation. Maybe show this to your GP to persuade them.

This is the link for domperidone being used for lactation ~ https://www.inhousepharmacy-europe.com/p-17-motilium.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->