is it possible

Christine33

Reaction score
for babies to over eat??????

i was told by the doctor i overfeed little ali! is it possible? i have just been feeding him on demand.....he screams for food, i give it to him!!!!
he does appear to like his food - he drinks 3oz bottles every 2 hours or so. is that too much? i have always just thought he would stop eating when he has had enough.
the doc told me that is way too much and the cause of his wind and green poo! he said it should be about 50ml every 2hours.

can anyone offer good advice??

thank you so much!

Christine
XXX

I always thought that if you try to feed babies too much they'd either sick it back up :sick: or not take it at all.

Lewis sounds similar to Ali in what he takes, on average 3oz every 1-2 hours or 6oz every 3-4 hours. He's not overly windy and doesn't have green poo, but I guess all babies are different.

I'd rather feed him when he wants it than let him scream until his next "recommended" feed. :hissy:

I've just had Lewis weighed, 8 weeks and 14lb of pure baby chub :rofl: The HV suggested putting him on hungry baby formula which could help regulate the times and frequency of his feeding. Same qty but less often, so he doesn't end up going off the weight chart :shock:

If you're happy with your little boys' progress carry on doing what your doing, if not perhaps you could try hungry baby for Ali.

:hugs:

I would feed your baby when he wants feeding. Doctors don't know everything!!

Caitlyn has green poo and she's losing / staying the same weight. I don't think it's an overfed baby thing.

your Dr sounds nuts! I really don't think you can overfeed a baby unless you are putting more formula into their bottles than is recommended...and bf babies definitely not. Overfeeding to me is like giving them condensed milk or something!

Alasdair also has green poo and (like Toria's Caitlyn) seems to be staying the same/losing a bit at the moment.

see the thing is he is NEVER sick either. i can count on one hand the amount of times he has been sick since he was born. i will continue feeding as ali wants it - bless him, he does love his grub!!!

Christine
X

I definitely agree - if you know your LO is hungry - feed 'em :)

I think you CAN overfeed... But it doesnt sound like you are... 3oz every 2 hours or so isn't overfeeding.

I think because babies use the sucking reflux as comfort people can overfeed them. As they may suck on a bottle or whatever for a long time for the comfort, instead of using a dummy to suck on... But I think every mother knows when their baby is hungry.

50ml??? My bub is 3wks and the mw said she should be drinking 120ml every feed. WTF?

50ml??? My bub is 3wks and the mw said she should be drinking 120ml every feed. WTF?

exactly my thoughts. he would starve to death if he only got 50ml the poor wee mite!!!! i will continue as i am. all weekend he has been dowing 5oz bottles every 4 hours so if anything he is eating even more. getting him weighed on wednesday so i will speak to the health visitor and tell her what the doc said!

Christine
XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"