Is it wrong/unethical...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liesje

Reaction score
Is it wrong, when making your own baby food, to make a disgusting assortment of slop which you'd never in a million years eat yourself, but would feed to your baby, just because it's healthy?

Ie, liver, broccoli, turnips, beets, etc?

...or is it just a part of good parenting? LOL

I'd imagine the fruits one would taste good, but I'd feel so guilty feeding mashed up meats and veggies :nope:

I wouldn't do liver, pretty sure they actually shouldn't eat that for the first year or something like that anyway? But why would you feel bad mashing up other veggies and meats? Everyone likes different things, just because you don't like it doesn't mean baby won't.

well, breast milk doesn't taste very good.. but, that's good for them? and the smell of formula makes me want to throw up, and obviously they like it -- haha, I'm sure the nutrition is good for them.. if they eat it, they like it!

well, breast milk doesn't taste very good.. but, that's good for them? and the smell of formula makes me want to throw up, and obviously they like it -- haha, I'm sure the nutrition is good for them.. if they eat it, they like it!

Breastmilk is sweet! I don't think many people would describe it as not tasting very good!

As for the vegetables-your LO has never tasted anything before. He has no preconceived ideas of what he will and won't like. Give him a range of things and let him discover food. It helps if you eat the same things, just because you don't need to cook twice, but why wouldn't you give a baby a good range of healthy food? Although I agree about not giving liver. What's wrong with a standard joint?

Liver is supposed to be very good for them. I know you are TW but the BLW books say that iron rich meats and high quality fats (avocado, butters, olive oil) should be given because they have iron and fat needed for bone & brain development.

I think it isn't unethical but it makes sense to make your LO things you cook for yourself and then purée them if you choose to. This way she is used to the tastes of foods that you cook and she will eat in the future.

Personally I do find it a bit wrong yes. I'd never serve 'slop' to my baby. Foods I don't like, of course, but slop, no. Pureed meat in particular I find the idea of very odd! This is one of the biggest reasons I did BLW.

Personally I do find it a bit wrong yes. I'd never serve 'slop' to my baby. Foods I don't like, of course, but slop, no. Pureed meat in particular I find the idea of very odd! This is one of the biggest reasons I did BLW.

have to agree.

i culd understand offerering say puree potato, carrots and fish seperaly bu the idea of i all together seems a bit odd to me

breastmilk tastes lovely, like frosties milk lol. formula tastes like shit though (or chalk)!

I don't feed amelie anything I wouldn't eat myself mainly cos I just used foods i already had in the house and didnt buy anything specific for her cept for the odd jar or pouch.

I think formula tastes like hot chocolate (you know the really cheap nasty type from a machine.) ugh

i domt think its wrong itsa whats gd for them, n i ask if youuu decide to do tw how else can your lo have the protein and nutrition from meant if you dont puree it?? is it better to just let them be veggies till they are old enough and learned enough to pick it up themselves?? ( i dont disagree with blw by the way im just saying if you do the tw route)

I think formula tastes like hot chocolate (you know the really cheap nasty type from a machine.) ugh

I never dared taste formula but cow and gate in particular smells to me like emulsion paint with soya sauce thrown in-probably just me who thinks that :haha:

With regard to the food issue, though I do generally give LO what we eat I do try to give some foods I myself am not keen on as well-as I want him to be able to eat a variety of foods, not that I am a particular fussy eater but there are some things I am a bit iffy about, like courgettes for example xx

To each their own when it comes to serving mashed/puréed food. It may not be for everyone, but I certainly wouldn't call it wrong and definately not unethical!

What I do think is wrong is serving children over processed salty, sugary foods that seems to be so commonplace.

I would rather 'force' feed my kids veges and healthy foods, though they may not like them than feed them the popular yet unhealthy choices.

With the exception of Avocardo iv never given Niamh anything i wouldent eat myself. Even when she was on puree's it was things that go together like potato and leak, sweet potato and red pepper and then when she turned 6 months it was foods like fish pie, cottage pie, home made soups but i would freeze the potato seperatly so when she came to eating it, it was seperate so it would be served like i would eat it.

Never bothered me serving puree. Just looks like soup or lentils, which I eat all the time. I would try it and I liked most of them, so no issues. All the animal milk I've ever tasted (human milk, cows milk formula, regular cows milk, goats milk etc) is rank IMO. I can just about take soya milk so have that. I'm not an animal milk person, far too sweet and creamy with a weird after taste.
I do give LO foods I hate though. He loves kale which I loathe. We all have different tastes though so no it's not weird or unethical at all. If your LO eats it, they must like it.

Theres nothing wrong with pureed veg if you do TW/purees, Half of the stuff Jayden eats i wouldn't as i'm not a fasntatic fruit/veg eater, more crisps and crap :lol: but i give him the healthy stuff as i want him to experience different foods, and not follow in the same footsteps :D can't imagine giving him liver though, my mum used to cook it for her dog and it used to make me want to puke looking/smelling it tbh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back