Is it wrong...

jenny82

Reaction score
...that I'm 'scared' to be alone with my toddler full-time again??

Now I don't mean scared in the scared-of-him way, but scared that I won't be enough! He is in creche most of the week and he has settled in amazingly well. He really, really loves it and has thrived there, especially since they moved him into the toddler room :cloud9:

I'm just worried I won't be enough! The weekends for us are fine as we do loads, go out, play around the house, have leisurely fun. But hes going to be so bored with me come Mondays! I graduate in 8 weeks and then thats it! I am seeing visions of lots of tantrums around the house, especially since he now grabs his coat and bangs on the front door to get out!

Any SAHMs, what do you do with your toddlers on a daily basis?? The summer coming also means that rhymetime and toddler groups etc are off, so that leaves not much cheap activity for us to do :dohh:

Ah bless you. I'm sure he'll adjust fine and love having mummy back!

Are there any nature parks near you, lakes or general parks you could go out to now the weather is warming up? Do you like gardening? I'm not a SAHM but Kai loves being out in the garden pottering around whilst I weed, plant flowers etc etc x

We don't have a garden :(

We have a front & backyard and we're going to get them fixed up over summer but they won't make up for a proper garden. Our house is also going up for sale at easter though so maybe by some absolute miracle, it'll sell quickly and we can move to somewhere with a garden :haha:

There are a few parks around us but they're not the nicest. Most are a drive away but with petrol going the way it is, I'm trying to cut car use :dohh:

D'oh - only just seen your pregnancy ticker! Congratulations :hugs: I am also a little bit envious LOL but that is fab news :happydance:

Sometimes even a nice leisurely walk to the shops is enough to keep them going. Do you have any mummy friends who you could meet up with?

We always find stuff to do.

painting, drawing, playdoh.
hanging out reading books.
River enjoys helping with the cleaning and cooking
going for little walks
generally running around like maniacs
playing with the dogs
learning stuff like shape sorters puzzles etc

Thanks emz :D

Reading is going well atm so I'll keep doing that. Painting might work - we've never done painting at home but he has at creche. We have crayons at home but he enjoys taking them out of the box & putting them back in more than actually drawing with them! :dohh:

Once we get the front yard sorted, I can let both dog and baby loose out the front and hopefully they will entertain each other whilst I sit in a lounger and relax in the run lol :D

I don't even have any mummy friends as they're all back at work. I'm hoping one will hurry up already & get pregnant already as it was awesome with her last time!

Hi hun, you'll be fine, don't worry. We go out almost everyday. Omar is not a morning person & our day usually starts late after 11 am as Omar refuses to wake up early.

Some of our at home activities are:

- Painting in the tub while taking a bath together after breakfast or lunch
- Some housework like vacuuming & dusting, he loves to help
- Dancing to his fav songs
- Toddlers games online
- Lots of books reading
- Going for a walk around the building (we live by a lagoon)
- Tickling & singing together on our bed, pillow fighting, jumping on the bed, etc

We go to a toddlers group once a week, & I'm planning to take him swimming (we have a pool in the building) next week as it's getting warmer. The beach is also close by, so we'll start going there once a week to play with the sand. I also take him once or twice a week to play areas in malls.

My mum also takes him once a week to her friend's house to play with her cat & I take him once a week to visit my aunt who has 4 kids.

I also bought some hands paint & play dough & we'll start playing with them soon.

I know what you mean. My hubby finishes in April (apart from an handful of exams) and he's terrified lol and he's only going to have him 2 days a week lol

Silly question but is he still going to be at creche at all? Or are there any toddler play groups run by your Sure Start centre/local church or Mum's group? Earl is taken to the local toddler group by his CM currently but hubby is planning on carrying that on as it's on all year round.

Swimming is a good one (although may not be practical) as Earl loves it and he's shattered by the end. Our local park has a duck pond and play equipment so we usually get about 45 mins of running around like a crazy person there!

Earl's favourite home activities....helping me with baking and then eating the results! Walking the dog, art of any description, building with his blocks, watching a film (well a 20 minute silly symphony) together with some sweets (homemade cakes or raisins lol) and a drink.

Oh and the library is a good bet as you can usually get a few good ideas from there for activities too! :thumbup:

Good luck and congratulations again! I hope your house sells too :thumbup:

:dohh: I forgot about swimming. The swimming pool is only down the road so we can def do that once or twice a week.

He will be finished at the creche altogether as he can't attend if I don't attend or work at the university. The girls there are so sad about it :haha: However, I think i'm going to put him in a different nursery one or two days a week in september, as he loves it and it also means that once new baby comes, I have a few days of calm to bond with him/her also :)

How do you bake with a toddler btw?! I don't think my wee dude would have the patience, do you just do rice krispie buns? :)

We will still go visit my mum a few days a week but I don't want to do it anymore than that as she can get a bit overbearing!

I say 'baking' but it's generally making a mess lol.

Krispie cakes, angel delight, jelly and custard (obviously be careful with hot things), shortbread biscuits, fairy cakes. I tried letting him decorate them once but he just ate the chocolate chips! :blush:

:rofl:

That sounds like loads of fun! I might attempt rice krispie buns with him tomorrow and see what kind of mess he can really make ;)

We made crispie buns at the weekend, just letting them stir and lick the spoon is great fun for them . . . and messy!

Water play
some sort of dough to play with,
painting,
stickers (I was surprised by my LO loves this)
crayons
puzzle games and sorters
a walk around the area
walk to park
pop a cd on with nursery rhymes etc
books - trip to library someone mentioned, defo a good one

I tend to keep toys in cateogries too such as animals, transport, music so we can rotate them and so she doesn't get too bored of them

We made crispie buns at the weekend, just letting them stir and lick the spoon is great fun for them . . . and messy!

Water play
some sort of dough to play with,
painting,
stickers (I was surprised by my LO loves this)
crayons
puzzle games and sorters
a walk around the area
walk to park
pop a cd on with nursery rhymes etc
books - trip to library someone mentioned, defo a good one

I tend to keep toys in cateogries too such as animals, transport, music so we can rotate them and so she doesn't get too bored of them

WOW you're so organized.. Our toys are just chucked back in the toy box after each play :haha:

When you're home full time you'll find LOADS of ways to entertain him (and yourself) :lol:

We do quite a lot of different stuff now T is older and has her wheels, since she can get about more. We do...

Painting
Sticking (glue and feathers/sequins/fabric/felt bits etc and glitter)
LOADS of walks
Parks
Visit family!

Oh and thousands of hospital appointments.. :rofl:

i was in this exact position myself just prior to starting maternity leave at beginning of march - i went from working full time to being home full time and was scared isabel would be bored with me and i would not be able to occupy her.

i prepared by ensuring i created a timetable of what groups were on and when and different paid for and free ideas to do depending on weather and now i can honestly say we're busy, have fun and i love having her so much! she goes to nursery two days a week still which is to keep up her links there and she loves it too (goes down to one day in july as maternity pay drops!) and i use these days to do majority of chores and shopping

i stick to the routine she established at nursery (snack and lunch times) and she has roughly scheduled naps still and it means we both know where we are and its honestly fab...you'll be fine and will LOVE being at home full time :thumbup:

oh and also i used places like hobbycraft, matalan and tesco to stock up on cheap craft items (playdoh, paint, stickers and so on) so i have stuff to occupy her at home with incase of poor weather or me not feeling up to leaving the house when new baby arrives :thumbup:

Yay! This is good to know :D

I'll have a good think between now and then about all the fun things we can do. I know it'll be fun in the end but another change for us both :haha:

Blanket forts! My kids play under blanket forts for ages :D
Arts and crafts of any kind are a big hit. Also "cooking" (I give them a bowl and little cups full of water, sugar, flour, oats, cereal, peanut butter, etc. and a big spoon for them to mix with), dress up, running around at the park.

I am nervous about this too, as I am working 4 days a week at the moment, and am finishing in a fortnight then I will be at home full time with two! I am worried about how difficult it will be to get to places and dothings with two,as it'shard enough just getting one out of the house! I am also worried that Abigail will find it hard sharing attention with the new baby, and the fact that there are no groups on over the summer as well makes it harder. She's not really old enough for a lot of things - for example I have tried to do drawing with her but she just wants to either put all the crayons in and out of the box, or put them in her mouth. She doesn't get dressing up or building dens or anything yet, so we rely on going out a lot. She will still be in nurery one day per week and with my mum for a morning a week, but I guess we will have to find a new routine that suits everyone! At least as summer is coming we can get outside. I am hoping to get her a slide and sandpit for the garden.

Musical instruments and pots and pans to bash on generally go down well.
putting on the radio/CD and having a dance
Colouring books and crayons/felt tips/colouring pencils.
Stickers and sticker books.
painting (invest in a good waterproof table cloth, and an apron with arms).
Water play - fill up a bucket or baby bath/sink with water and let them play with bath toys and foam toys/corks in some water
Sand pit
"cooking" - give them a bowl and buy cheap ingredients like flour, salt, oats, cheap dried pasta or rice, and let them add things together and mix it up.
dressing up - feather boas, tiaras, helmets, magic wands, (poundland is great for little bits and bobs).
playing vet or doctor with dollies and cuddly toys.
singing lots and lots of songs.
Hide and seek.
Playdough! Hours of enjoyment.
Get them involved in housework like putting the dirty washing in the machine, getting them to hand you pegs while you hang it up.
Lots and lots of books.
Puzzles
Cushion assault course.
Paddling pool in the summer.

Can't think of many more. Internet search might come up with some good games to play or asking what he currently does in creche for some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->