Is my 1.5 week old nursing long enough?

jvdb

Reaction score
My baby was just under 7 lb when born and my milk came in very fast this time (less than two full days). On average I feed her every 3 hours during the day, sometimes more frequently, and about every 4 hours at night. I know she is feeding frequently enough but my concern is whether she is nursing long enough each session. She only wants to nurse 8-10 minutes at a time when a lot of reccomendations say to aim for 20-40 minutes when they are this young.

All evidence points to her getting enough milk. Lots of wet and soiled diapers, no hunger cues between feedings, and a very quick and reliable let down reflex. Also if I pump after a feeding I can get anywhere between 2-5 oz, so seems like I have tons of milk.

Anyone else have a very efficient eater? My only complaint is that she is a sleepy eater and after 8 minutes I have to encourage her to stay awake and feed. But still.. Everything seems to be ok, she won't get weighed for another week at our drs but she looks to me as if she is doing well. Thoughts?

My lo was (still is) a little and often kinda guy, he would only eat for 5 mins but every 2 hours which the midwife said was fine. I had a large supply of milk too and a heavy let down

Lucky u getting 4 hours at this early stage lol but the midwife did tell me that if lo hadnt woken at 4 hours to wake him and feed and not to let him go any longer than the 4 hours not that we had that problem!

As long as ur lo is gaining weight abd having the recommended wet nappies then it's fine!

Wow sounds like have a great little feeder! If your getting plenty of dirty diapers your baby is for sure getting enough to eat 😊

Yup. What they said. As long as LO is gaining weight and producing enough diapers, watch the baby, not the clock.

My LO is 8 days old and is a very fast eater. She nurses usually 8-10 minutes at a time, sometimes if I change her in between she will do another 4-5 minutes....timing wise she is all over the place. Sometimes we go 3 hours during the day and 4 at night, at others its 1.5-2 hours. Its exhausting!

I was really concerned about her feeding until I looked on here and other sites, she is having plenty of wet and dirty nappy's and gained weight her first week.

Different boobs, different babies = different situation.

If LO seems contented and healthy why change anything? They are so sleepy at that age but I knew my LO wash't getting enough cos we had a bad latch and I'd be lucky to get 3 minutes out of her before she exhausted herself, and when I tried to put her down she'd wake scream and root. If your baby seems full after a feed she's probably full after a feed. Don't worry till someone tells you there is something to worry about!

My baby went from 15 mins both sides to 7/8 over night. Apparently some are just more efficient eaters :)

Sometimes I have to strip him down to his nappy to wake him up if he's only had one side.

Its hard not to worry when BF that they are getting enough, especially when they are such sporadic feeders like my LO. I am just looking for the signs she IS getting enough (wet nappy's, yellow poos, settles after a feed, strong sucks and weight gain, will be having her weighed once a week)

Thanks all, good to hear about other experiences. I think I must be blessed with an efficient eater, the Dr when she was born did say she had a very strong suck and that she should feed well but it's good to hear that not all babies nurse for 30 minutes at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->