Is my 11 month old getting enough milk?

Foxyloxy

Reaction score
My dd was diagnosed with cows milk protein allergy at 9.5 months, a couple of weeks before I started back at work. At this stage she had just dropped her mid morning BF so was on 3 feeds a day (early morning, afternoon and bedtime) as well as three meals. I was prescribed aptimil pepti formula and my plan was to keep up the morning and bedtime BF and replace the afternoon feed with formula.
However, DD refused to even touch the formula. I tried a bottle, her sippy cup, using it in food etc but no joy. Not that I blame her, the stuff smelled vile! So when I went back to work at 10 months, my only option was to drop the afternoon feed and just BF morning and evening. DD seemed fine with this and didn't seem to miss the afternoon feed.
A month has now passed and we have just got over a bout of teething as well as one headcold after another and a difficult settling in period at nursery. DD was not eating well during this time and as her clothes were starting to feel loose I took her to the HV clinic to get weighed. I was quite shocked that she lost a lb in weight and had dropped from the 25th to 9th centile. The HV gave me quite a telling off about not persevering with the formula and says that my daughter is not getting enough milk especially as she can't have dairy products with her CMPA (I use soy milk in her porridge and she also likes soy yoghurt). I found this upsetting as I am really trying my best and was made to feel like I am depriving my DD of nutrition. Now her appetite has returned I really think she is getting enough with 2 x BF, three meals and a snack and plenty of water and her weight loss was due to the teething/sickness rather than lack of milk. She is certainly content and happy, surely she would let me know if she was hungry?
Anyway, sorry about the long post but I would really like to know how often your 10/11 month old feeds. I know every baby is different but I really need some reassurance that I am doing ok.

I would say she could do with another feed? Will she drink soy milk? I don't think its a huge deal, I know of babies who have refused milk altogether from 12 months on with no problems so as long as she is getting those two bf then I wouldn't worry.

Can you pump at work? You could give her that in the afternoon. My lo nurses 7-8 times a day Plus three meals

Our story is very similar. My 13 month old has a milk allergy and has two bf per day (unless I'm off work). He sometimes has a night feed. He won't touch milk from a cup/bottle and won't even eat soy yogurt. He's only on the 2nd percentile so I worry about his weight too. I give him Neocate Spoon with mashed banana at breakfast or mixed in with his food. It's easier because it mixes to a yogurt like consistent. It's a constant worry!

Thanks for your replies. I did try expressing but can't get much out. I think I will try to reintroduce the afternoon BF on my day off and at the weekend, at least until she regains the weight she lost. I have also called the allergy clinic for advice and they have given me a referral to a dietician.

I'd introduce a night feed in your situation. And make sure you're offering high calorie solids, like avocado. I probably wouldn't have persevered with the formula either x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->