Is my baby slow? :-(

new_mummy

Reaction score
LO is 6 months in a week and still doesn't roll, either front to back or back to front. He can't sit unsupported and doesn't sit well supported either. He just slumps forward or sideways, even in his highchair. I know all babies are different but I see other babies his age doing all these things well - am I worrying for nothing? :(

I really don't have a set answer I'm afraid but my LO is similar. He's just about to turn 5 months and has only just rolled over front to back in the last week but still doesn't quite get it properly yet. He is also quite floppy when in a sitting up position and doesn't put weight on his legs when holding him in a standing position, yet several babies I know who are 4-8 weeks younger are practically standing (aided of course!).

It's very hard not to compare, especially as I don't really have much clue what the average windows are for when LO's should be doing things.

Didn't want to R&R but wanted to send :hugs:

Where do you live? Do you have an HV who checks your LO out? Maybe you could ask them? Does your LO get tummy time? How does he do holding his head up?

Babies develop at different paces. Maybe there are other things your LO does well which are the reason he isn't sitting/rolling? Does he seem 'advanced' in other areas?

i really wouldnt worry about it babies do things in their own time my lo is nearly eight months and has only just decided he wants to roll over he did it round 5 months a couple of times but loves it now i know what you mean tho hes the only one at my baby group not crawling but hey hes a boy = lazy :haha: hes still young and has lots of months to learn new things :thumbup:

All babies dont automatically sit up at 6 months on the dot or walk at the same time they are all different. I cant remember when mine sat up but I do know youngest crawled faster than oldest and my oldest walked at 14 months yet there are babies that walk at 8 months.

My neice didn't roll at all but walked very early. They all have different strengths so try not to worry (easier said than done!). x

My son was a bit slow to the rolling and sitting game. He got the rolling at around 6 months and the sitting at 6.5-7 months. He's a perfectly normal 2 year old now. Try not to worry too much yet (though I know it's hard). :hugs:

My daughter was late with all her physical milestones but now she is a toddler her language is really advanced compared to some others her age. My son has met all his physical milestones early so far but isn't nearly as vocal as she was so I bet he will be a late talker which I am sure will worry me! It is so hard not to compare, but they really ARE all different.

My LO hasn't rolled either way yet either, and shows no signs of wanting to atm. She does sit up unsupported now as of the last 2 weeks, I think its cos she's nosey and loves to see whats going on! I'm constantly comparing her to friends babies but I should really stop - as others have said they all develop differently x

All babies are completely different, I would only be concerned if your LO was getting on for 10 months without rolling or if he still has poor neck control? Ask your HV. Each baby has their own pace and they chose their own milestones and what order they do them in though so he may leap up one day and skip a few!

My LO is almost 6 months and I think it will be a long while before she can sit unsupported properly, but she rolled early and now stands unsupported and I think in the next few weeks will crawl. some milestones babies just don't find interesting enough to learn!

Some babies never roll over. Don't worry about it. Sometimes they suddenly start doing lots at once.

If you're really worried, speak to your HV.

I wouldn't say so. My son is 7.5 months and only rolled back to front 2 weeks ago (and now he rolls around everywhere)! He kind of sits unaided but doesn't last long as he dives at the closest thing t him to put in his mouth. I have been concerned he isn't meeting milestones but as others have said some babies just take Longer. We see people sayin sit unaided at 6 months but there are babies who do it at 4m and babies that do it at 8m, the 6m is just an average. My LO is a long way away from crawling and standing etc but he will get there at his own pace xx

Thanks all, you've really put my mind at ease! :) My LO isn't behind in other ways - he has great head control, is quite strong, and can stand by himself holding onto something like the sofa for ages. I guess he will just do things when he's good and ready. :flower:

Thanks for posting this new mummy, i came on line to look specific for a thread about this as my little boy is 6 months on the 2nd of December and isn't rolling yet either, he seems to have no interest to at all.....he pulls his feet up and then rocks over to the side but doesn't seem to get it that when we put him on his tummy he needs to rock over to get back on his back, and he doesn't put his hands in the right place....he can sit for a little while unsupported....well not long really but he can do it....im trying not to worry, but its hard as my mates baby has 9 weeks on Jacob and is so much more advanced and from memory was rolling at like 4months....:(.xx

What I think we all forget is in a year all the rolling and crawling milestones will have been forgotten and we will be concentrating on how well our children are talking and walking! Most children by 2 will have evened out with the physical milestones. Further down the line we will be worrying about how well our babies are doing in school that we were once concerned that our baby didnt sit at 6 months will seem insignificant!
There are studies showing that children slower to be mobile actually pick up language faster.

Hello :hugs:

Please don't worry, Isla has only just started sitting unaided, she rolled as well around the same time. Isla is one of life's laid back babies she is quite happy just to watch the world go by while her friends of the same age walk and crawl around her :dohh: we are hoping that at sone point in the next five years she may make a move or take a step, hopefully before she goes to school lol.

Hi,

My friends LO has the same problem. LO is going to physical therapy twice a week and he just started rolling at 6 months. Maybe talk to your ped. and see if you can get some hours scheduled for your LO. :)

Good Luck! :flower:

- Cloe

try not too worry hun .... not easy for me to say cos i am the queen of worry. Isobelle didn't roll until almost 7months and didn't sit until she was 6months old.

She is 9months old today and isn't crawling yet and I am worried about that...

:hugs:

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"