Is my little boy having a growth spurt?

knk2011

Reuben's Mummy :)
Reaction score
He's 9 days old now.

Normally I am up once in the night for a feed and change.
Last night it was 3 times and this morning I feel like I've done nothing but feed him, baring in mind we've been up since 8ish and its now 10.30

Is this normal? My boobs feel engorged again. It feels like they're filling up before he can empty both.

I'm no expert but Sophie did this at 9 days old too and I think it is a growth spurt. At some points she was wanting more 10 minutes after she was fed. It will be back to normal in a few days hopefully :thumbup:

Yes I think the first growth spurt is around 10 days.

Thank you. I have noticed he sleeps longer as well after these loooong feeds

He only wakes once in the night? Crikey lucky you. I was told to wake Sam every 3 hours to feed

A midwife has just been and discharged me. He said that he may even start to sleep 6-8hours overnight if I'm lucky.

Well yes, I was lucky too I suppose. We shouldn't complain at all really should we x

I'd be careful about using the word "normally" at only 9 days in.

That first week or so they can be very sleepy.

There's going to be a lot of changes before you get anywhere near "normal". We're at 15 weeks and everything still changes week on week n

But yes, it does sound like the 10 day growth spurt.

I remember my LO only started cluster feeding around the middle of the second week. Then it just felt like he was on the boob All. The. Time.

I have an app on my phone that I've been using to record feeding times since he was born, and the worst was 7 hours in one day over 10 feeds, on day 18 - up from 3 hours or so over 12 feeds in his first week. Urgh! Bad times. I've clearly blocked the memory of this, but I do remember saying at the time "next one's a c-section and formula fed" a lot around that time!

Had two growth spurts since then, but he usually settles back into only needing the one feed o/n once he's caught up with himself. Am currently in the four month developmental spurt and back to cluster feeding and up three times a night, but at least I know it can't last forever...

I am up four times at the moment and its making me resent my OH cos he still gets to sleep :(

He also needs a bum change every time. He poos so much, is that normal too?

Ok good. I was worrying that he was unwell or something lol. But I did read online that a lot of breast fed babies tend to empty themselves after a feed

My LO used to poo while feeding. He would briefly stop sucking, scrunch up his face and grunt and poo. Then wud suck away again!! Hes not doing that now. His feedings are still irregular and there r days where i feel like im stuck to him. I find the days i bring him out places r better and he feeds less and faster. Might be my imagination tho!

Honestly you are very lucky to be up so little with such a young baby. Fox is 8 weeks and still up every 2/3 hours at night and at least 2 hourly during the day.

I would prepare for this to be the norm for a while. I find it less stressful to just not clock watch and feed on demand without dwelling on how much and what's "normal"

My LO was the same as yours. He fed around 10pm, 3:30am, and 7am. I was so happy, thought I finally had a good sleeper. My previous son was such a terrible sleeper. But BAM, right at 2 weeks, up every three hours to eat, day and night. But I can handle that. So I think it is common for babies to sleep more at the beginning:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->