Is pre-eclampsia hereditary?

welshhunni

Reaction score
Hi I have had a quick look on here and unable to spot a thread as yet.
My mother had pre-eclampsia and had to have me via emergancy c section. She was on life support for approx 3/4 weeks at a critical stage after having me and I was also on life support.
Me and my partner are starting to try for a baby but the worry of pre-eclampsia is starting to hit home.
Just wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with any help, I have looked online and there are various web sites condtradicting one and other.
Perhaps someone who has been in the same position as me can offer some advice.
I have taken the usual steps for healty pregancy such as never smoking, keeping a good weight, taking regular vitimins (no pregnancy ones as yet) wondering if there is anything else I could do...

Thank You in advance x

My mum had eclampsia with my brother 34 years ago....I am 39 and my mum was in a coma for 2 weeks and clinicaly died twice.....my brother was premature and in an incubator. They really didnt expect my mum to survive, in fact they started telling my dad to make funeral arrangements :cry:
I was told by my mums friend who was looking after me and getting me to school that my mummy would be going to heaven. My mum however managed to pull through somehow and realises how lucky she was. I had my forst baby at 24 and was as you are really worried, I had slight raised blood pressure but was fine.
I had my 2nd baby 6 years ago and had gestational diabetes and high blood pressure so they induced me at 37 weeks.
I am now pregnant at 39 with my 3rd and last child....I am high risk anyway so they are keeping a close eye on me. The only problems so far that the raised blood pressure has caused me are that I havent been able to have the waterbirths that I have wanted due to having to be constantly monitored. It can run in families, the hospital told me this but it doesnt mean that you will have the same problems.....ive been ok so far!

^^^^^Ive just noticed....I never smoke and my mum did and I think she may have during the pregnancy with my brother :growlmad:This could make a difference , it certainly wouldnt help!

Thank you so much for the quick reply, your mums situation sounds exactly the same as mine, even to the part of my dad being told he would need to decide if my mother was to be resusitated or life support possibly being switched off, my mother also developed diabetes after having me!

Your post has really helped me think that I'm not the only one that is going through these thoughts. I wouldn't want to worry my mother by bringing the subject up. Yes never smoked never wanted to and partner shares the same view as me thank goodness!

Also congratulations with the great news of your third baby!

Hi......my mum also had a c section as it was an emergency, my mum woke up one morning and had ballooned right up she didnt recognise herself in the mirror, her face was big!
I cant really talk to my mum much either as she also had a stillborn baby at 40 weeks so she finds it hard to talk about pregnancy and birth. I know it was hard for her to step foot on the maternity ward when I had my first, but she is over the moon that I am pregnant and as long as I get through it that is all that matters! I am sure you will be fine, I think we are monitored more closely today and there is a space on your maternity notes that the midwife fills out about any problems that your mother had during childbirth as they are aware that things can be hereditary so they will be keeping an eye on you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->