Is this a bad habit to get into?

Bevziibubble

Reaction score
My lo is 11 months old and doesn't eat much solid food. I give her 3 meals a day but she usually just takes a few bites and then is crying to get out of her high chair and go play. Sometimes she surprises me and eats a bit but not often. She's quite small for her age and isn't putting on weight well. She hasn't put any on for 3 weeks now. She breastfeeds regularly through the day and night, although often is too preoccupied with her toys to stay still and feed for long.

After her meals I've started sitting her on my knee when I'm eating my meal, putting her leftovers on my plate and popping them into her mouth in small pieces as I'm eating. She loves this and always eagerly opens her mouth for the food. She eats a lot more this way, although still probably not as much as she should be eating, and she usually refuses spoons.

Is this a bad habit to get into, or will she get out of it in time and start to eat more of her food herself?

Bad ha it is completely objective to me. It's kind of like feeding to sleep, if you're comfortable doing it, then go for it. You'll just have to accept she may want to eat like this for a while but Ive never seen a teenage drinking more than they eat so I'm sure shell grow out of it.

I say, if it makes her eat do what you have to. I still feed my son, yes feed him!! He can do it himself but if it's pasta he hates getting dirty and wants feeding, its not good especially when I've got another to feed, but you know what, if he eats, I don't care. I'm sure he won't want me feeding him when he's a teenager so I'm willing to do anything to ensure he's full. If you're happy doing it, I don't see a problem personally xx

Yes, I'm definitely happy to continue it. Anything as long as she eats, she's such a tiny baby these days!

This method you're using is the norm around the world. This is how I've seen mothers feed their babies in indonesia and in India.

Typically the mother will prechew a mouthful then pop the morsel into her baby's mouth, who is sitting on her lap.

Also, when it comes to toddlers, indonesians don't expect them to sit at the table until finished. The child will play, return to mum fo ra mouthful, then run off to play, returning once again for another mouthful.

They learn to sit at a table eventually, probably when reminded that playing during a meal is babyish.

That's very interesting, I never knew that! It does make sense though for the mothers to feed their babies that way. I don't prechew the food for Holly, just put bits of the actual food in her mouth. I'll carry on doing that if it gets her eating :)

When in her highchair are you feeding her then or is the food put on her tray for her to pick up herself?

My LO is a total pain in the bum in the highchair if I try and spoonfeed her, she screams and tried to escape but she will sit patiently and eat fingerfood for literally an hour by herself, it is stone cold and pretty vile by the time she is finished but she is quite happy when left to do it by herself.

Could you try moving the toys out of her sight so that she can concentrate on her food instead of trying to escape to play again? Or put a highchair toy on the tray too so her focus stays on the tray and whats on it. Then try eating your dinner next to her so she can watch you eat and copy you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->