Is this a crazy coincidence?

knobby

Reaction score
I am not sure where I should post this, but thought this would be a good place as you are all recently pregnant and might have some good insight.

Some background info... My LMP was Aug 30. I had brown discharge the week of Oct 13 (if this were a period it would have been late, this lasted 6 days). As of Nov 20 I have not had a period but also no BFP.

Symptoms: lots of white creamy cm, slight nausea, insatiable appetite, extremely painful swollen breasts (they were itchy and my areolas felt like they were burning). They are still tender now but not as bad as they were.

11/21 I went to a womens health clinic. I told them all my symptoms. They made me take a urine test which was of course negative. So off the bat the CNM was pretty dismissive and thought there is no way I could be pregnant since I would be 11 weeks (or 7 weeks if the brown discharge I had in Oct was a period) and should have a positive urine by now. I requested an ultrasound but she said no (which confuses me since we could have known right now for sure).

She did a pelvic exam and said my uterus was tilted forward and did not feel enlarged. She pulled out her gloved hand and it had a little blood on it. She held it up and said the blood was probably the start of my period. I was not bleeding before this.

This is not the first time a pelvic exam has made me bleed. And I have been warned by drs in the past before an exam that pelvic exams could cause the cervix to bleed - she should know a little blood on her glove is not unusual right?

She went onto say there is a mental health component to this and I could delay my own period by thinking I am pregnant (???)

She ordered a blood test for hcg, thyroid, and prolactin.

Anways I returned home and the bleeding became heavier with cramps. The bleeding seems to have lightened up some and cramps are very mild now. It is very unusual for my periods to start in the afternoon. They always start early in the morning for me.

Is this a HUGE coincidence and she is correct.... my period really started the moment she stuck her fingers in me??? or is it just my cervix bleeding? Cervixes do become a lot more vascular during pregnancy afterall. Online I have found others who have complained of similar bleeding/cramps after exams while pregnant.

So I am either not pregnant, 7 weeks pregnant, or 11 weeks pregnant. What do you all think? I will post a poll. I won't know the result of the blood test until next week.

I honestly just want to know. I wish she would have done the ultrasound and we would know without having to wait like this. I would be thrilled to be pregnant, but I won't be brokenhearted if I am not. There is always next time.

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, ideas?

I think if your hormones are a bit all over the place, enough to delay ovulation/period then they are likely to give you a whole bunch of pregnancy like symptoms.

Lots of women report their periods starting just after sex, so I'd think it would be the same after an internal examination....if its ready to start the examination is enough to kick start it. It could also just be a case of a small amount pof bleeding cso your hormones are out of wack.

If you are pregnant and a pregnancy urine test isn't showing positive yet then it would a case of only being 3-4 weeks pregnant and only having conceived less than 14 days ago.

Just an update. My bleeding stopped last night. I bled for only 35 hours total. This of course adds to my confusion. After I had bled some more and it had gotten heavy again, I had decided that this was my period and I couldn't be pregnant. But I have never bled for only 1.5 days. I average 5-6 days. I don't even know what to think.

Does anyone know what hormonal imbalances can cause a delayed and short (but heavy) flow? Are there any tests I should ask my dr for?

Maybe you could ask for an ultrasound, an ovarian cyst could cause pregnancy like symptoms and a delayed period... it did for me!! I had a 53 day cycle, during which I had some black blood discharge!! It was all crazy and I was really thinking I could be pregnant, but when they did an ultrasound they told me I had a cyst and it was going away and I should start my period soon and sure enough within a few days I did!! I got pregnant right after that!! Hope you get some answers!!

This happened to me back in July 2011. I was convinced I was pregnant, delayed period, implantation bleeding(or so I thought), nausea, bloating, fatigue....I took test after test, and it was negative. Went to the doctor, and he told me it might be a 'phantom pregnancy'...meaning, all the symptoms I was feeling, causing hormone changes by my thoughts, caused my body to think I was pregnant. I even had enlarged breasts etc. I'm not saying you aren't pregnant...but chances are with your tests being negative, etc... It might just be your body confused.

How regular were you before this? And how long have you had your menstrual cycle?

Could you have pcos or another reproductive issue? This isn't meant to scare you, I apologise. But pcos can prevent a person from having normal periods.

What was the length of your normal cycle prior to all of this?

How regular were you before this? And how long have you had your menstrual cycle?

Could you have pcos or another reproductive issue? This isn't meant to scare you, I apologise. But pcos can prevent a person from having normal periods.

What was the length of your normal cycle prior to all of this?

I have had my menstrual cycle for 15 years (I am 27). I am usually regular and have cycles that last 32-35 days.

I don't have a history of reproductive issues.

The week of brown discharge in October and the 1.5 days of bleeding this month are the first times I have ever had cycles like this. And to have two odd cycles in a row is a bit alarming. :shrug:

The only thing that does cross my mind when I think of hormone problems, is this hormonal acne I have had a problem with since May or June. I think it is hormonal anyway. Prior, I would have a blemish or two once in awhile, but since then I have almost constant acne on my chin, hairline, and between my eyebrows. Products don't help much and new breakouts appear just as the old ones are getting better.

I have two cousins and they are famous for not getting positive pregnancy tests for months after they are pregnant. However, blood comes back positive. So if your blood comes back negative could you go to the clinic/doctors to give you something to induce your period?

Also sometimes you get a messed up cycle after years of being regular. But I wouldn't have thought it would have lasted that long. As jenmcn1 said it might be a phantom pregnancy.

Also after a miscarriage your body gets messed up. My cycles were all over the place after mine. My shortest was 21 days and longest was 42. Once it sorted itself out I got pregnant again. I did retain some product which went on its own when I tried ovulating. Maybe not everything is out yet so your body thinks your pregnant still?

Hope you get some answers soon.

Similar happened to me last April. My period was delayed by 3 weeks but had had a bit of light sporting around when it should have been due which I took as implantation bleeding. My boobs started to hurt and had serious increased cm. I got really bloated and was tired all the time and swore I was pregnant. I tested negative constantly though and went to the drs who said I wasn't pregnant, my period came a few days after the visit. I'd only been off the pill 3 months and they put it down to my hormones fluctuating and my natural cycle starting to finally kick in....

Similar happened to me last April. My period was delayed by 3 weeks but had had a bit of light sporting around when it should have been due which I took as implantation bleeding. My boobs started to hurt and had serious increased cm. I got really bloated and was tired all the time and swore I was pregnant. I tested negative constantly though and went to the drs who said I wasn't pregnant, my period came a few days after the visit. I'd only been off the pill 3 months and they put it down to my hormones fluctuating and my natural cycle starting to finally kick in....

I didn't think to mention this, but I have not been on birth control pills for over 5 years. Have just used condoms and pull out method when not TTC.

Could be some other cause for delayed cycle or hormone imbalance. Stress is a big factor and changes in routine such as suddenly starting g a new job or sleep pattern. Hope you get some answers/ figure it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->