Is this all normal?

ready2bamum

Reaction score
so baby is 12 days old. Ive had a very rocky start to BF and y-day felt about ready to throw in the towel when the HV came to weigh and found that the 100g gained had been lost overnight (she has been getting weighed from midwifes and HV weighed y-day as it was her first visit, but she had only been weighed the day before).

So, I am sure she must be getting something...she is doing yellow poos and lots of wee's. But so far the gains are not coming weight wise. They are coming back sun to review. I so hope she has gained weight.

Is this normal...
She stays on the boob literally all night...as soon as she gets it tho she will dose off, but as soon as I put her down she starts rooting again...this can go on for hours and hours...on off, on off..

When I have tried to pump I can prob get out a few drops if that...although I am sure I must have some in there as I can hear her swallowing on occasion.

Sometimes I hear her taking lots of milk...hear the swallows and hear it hitting her tummy...other times I cant hear anything...does this mean i'm not making any when I cant hear it..

Im so close to giving her that 'one bottle' of a night time, but I would really prefer not too if someone can reassure me that I WILL SLEEP eventually..lol...the early hours are soooooo long and lonlely when all I want to do is sleep and she just wants to feed, feed, feed....

Oh and Fenugreek Stinks....lol....xx

I know how tough it is, good for you for hanging on! Personally, I'd be looking at output. If she's producing enough wet and poopy diapers, that's reassurance right there. Some babies fall asleep on the breast. Try keeping her stimulated while you're trying to feed. Talk to her and tickle her, play with her feet, etc to try to keep her awake to eat. If she still does it, I would bring her to bed and nurse her in the side-lying position so you could get some sleep. Breastfeeding is hard enough without being sleep deprived.
Pumping is in no way indicative of how much baby is eating. So don't let that discourage you. The first time I pumped for this baby I only got a few drops. The second I got an ounce , the third and ounce and a half.
Try to make it til Sunday and see what her weight is. I don't think there is anything wrong with supplemental feeding if it comes to that. And if breastfeeding doesn't work out, you should be proud if yourself because you are obviously trying hard and giving it your all! *hugs* just keep plugging, I bet it will all work out well for you.

Lol I saw your fenugreek stinks post just now. I took it with DS. Pair it with my night sweats and I felt like a walking pancake. I drink organic mothers milk now, I had to get used to the taste, but it's worth it not to smell like syrup!

WSS^ tickling their hands and feet keep them awake or gently blowing in their face.

You will sleep eventually! It just might be next week, next month or next year, it's hard to know. My oldest didn't sleep through the night until she was about 15 months old and she was formula fed from 5 weeks. She was a nightmare, wouldn't fall asleep on the bottle, had to be rocked to sleep and that could take literally hours. Once she could sit up and crawl she would spend all evening doing that in her cot and then screaming cos she didn't want to go to sleep even though it was 10pm. I used to spend hours - like from 7pm til 10pm lying her back down in her cot, rocking her, picking up, putting down, sitting by the cot etc etc! She was awful!

My baby however has sttn since she was about 14 weeks. She is bf and feeds to sleep. I bath her at 9pm then take her into my bedroom with just a very dim lamp on, all quiet and feed her til she's asleep then pop her in her cot. She is usually asleep some time between 10 and 10.30 and she sleeps til about 6.30 to 7am ish. So with her it's got better very quickly, but she is an easier happier baby in general than my oldest ever was!

my baby doesn't like to be put down...she falls asleep at the boob but no sooner do u put her down she wakes up and cries for more boob..its relentless...hope its just coz she is newborn. my son is a dream sleeper and has been since 8 wks,xx

They shouldn't be weighing so often, they are meant to only weigh on about day 5 to gauge weight lost, maybe day 10 to check weight is on it's way back up and day 14 to see if birthweight has been regained (and some babies do take longer). The scales that midwives and HVs bring with them are not always the top of the range class III scales and even if they are, different models can end up taking slightly different readings. Another thing is that the surface they put the scale on can affect the reading too. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->