Is this enough.....

JessyG

cautiously pregnant #1
Reaction score
after a bit of a nightmare few days breast feeding...I have now switched to formula and although I am happy with my decision I am worried that Bella is not eating enough.

She is now 5 days old and feeds pretty much every 3 hours, however she only takes a maximum of 50mls, sometimes only 30mls (1oz).

My midwife said she should be taking between 60-90mls (3oz) but she just falls asleep and refuses anymore. Is this normal or should i be concerned that she is not feeding enough?

after a bit of a nightmare few days breast feeding...I have now switched to formula and although I am happy with my decision I am worried that Bella is not eating enough.

She is now 5 days old and feeds pretty much every 3 hours, however she only takes a maximum of 50mls, sometimes only 30mls (1oz).

My midwife said she should be taking between 60-90mls (3oz) but she just falls asleep and refuses anymore. Is this normal or should i be concerned that she is not feeding enough?

Ignore your MW. I was told the same when Holly was 10 days old and spent a hellish day trying to get her to take 90mls every 3 hours, even used a size 2 teat at the MW suggestion. I ended up with a very windy grumpy bear for 24 hours, decided to go back to what I knew and Holly has been fine and gaining weight since.

My HV told me to trust my instincts and baby will eat what they want. I think some MW's need to think about the advise they are giving out. Everyone is different and eat different amounts why should babies be any different

I'm having similar issues, LO will take what she wants and refuses to take anything more! Had a MW tell me to feed her more often but ended up with a very grumpy baby who drank less than normal!

I'm going with my instincts from now on, babba is gaining weight and is very contented so as LO as that continues ill be happy.

If you have an iPhone, get the ibaby feeding app. It'll track what your feeding and how often. I've found it really useful as it shows me what she takes in a 24 hour period, which is going up!

When Imogen was first born she'd only drink 1oz every 3 hours (we had to wake her for it) I wish I could've followed my instincts but unfortunately I wasn't allowed out of the hospital before she'd have more!

and how did you manage to get her to take more. Bella will literally refuse the teat in her mouth. i stop and change her to wake her up again but once shes had about 35-40 mls she just wont take anymore and if we can get more in her...she throws up. At my wits end as cant help thinking that something is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->