Is this just me, or what???

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
It just IRKS me to no end when people describe other with special needs in such a negative tone!! Dimwitted, idiot, aloof, spaced out, not all there..it makes my skin crawl and I immediately get my back up! I feel like I can't even talk to people without someone saying something insensitive...and even if they aren't talking about my daughter, I realize that if they were, they would be describing her in such an ignorant manner, and I immediatly get offended. Am I the only one??? How do I work past this, or is there no excuse??? I just kind of feel, in this day and age, and ESPESIALLY if these people have children of their own...they must know that it hurts and is unnacceptable to speak about other this way, no???:dohh:

It just IRKS me to no end when people describe other with special needs in such a negative tone!! Dimwitted, idiot, aloof, spaced out, not all there..it makes my skin crawl and I immediately get my back up! I feel like I can't even talk to people without someone saying something insensitive...and even if they aren't talking about my daughter, I realize that if they were, they would be describing her in such an ignorant manner, and I immediatly get offended. Am I the only one??? How do I work past this, or is there no excuse??? I just kind of feel, in this day and age, and ESPESIALLY if these people have children of their own...they must know that it hurts and is unnacceptable to speak about other this way, no???:dohh:

I am the same hun. I am defensive about ANY disibilitys, I always have to say something to someone. People just amaze me, they really do! Its bad when people use sympathy, someone said before "if glasses are all my child ever has wrong with them (eyes) then I am blessed from God that she is not disabled"

I got defensive at this and pretty much told her so, She probably didnt even mean it in that way but seriously- shut up woman!

Or yesterday we went to ASD screening at cinema....one lady in line saying "its such a shame"

No its not a fucking shame! Grrr see I am getting wound up thinking about other people.

Some words that annoy me:

Shame, disadvantaged.

The pastoral support worker described my son as abnormal. I want to rip her head off now everytime I see her :growlmad:

I am the same hun. I am defensive about ANY disibilitys, I always have to say something to someone. People just amaze me, they really do! Its bad when people use sympathy, someone said before "if glasses are all my child ever has wrong with them (eyes) then I am blessed from God that she is not disabled"

I got defensive at this and pretty much told her so, She probably didnt even mean it in that way but seriously- shut up woman!

Or yesterday we went to ASD screening at cinema....one lady in line saying "its such a shame"

No its not a fucking shame! Grrr see I am getting wound up thinking about other people.

Some words that annoy me:

Shame, disadvantaged.

omg...someone said that about Makena once...such a shame! i cried,

We get it a lot with Tegan being in a wheelchair.
"Aww, you poor thing!"

It really annoys me. Yeah she's cute, but don't feel sorry for her.

There is a word for people like that - Ignorant twats. 'nuff said . . .

Saw this tagline: 'Autism is not a tragedy. Ignorance is.'

it infuriates me - what gets me most though is the stares! i have had people stop walking just to stare at my child. the thing is its mostly adults who do this and they should know better rather than be so ignorant.

it also really boils my pee when children are told off by their parents for asking why alex is in a wheelchair. it creates further ignorance and things will never change if it continues.

drs used to refer to alex as having gross mental ******ation - who invented the word ******???? i looked up the meaning of the word in the dictionary and one of its meanings is a person lacking intelligence or common sense. therefore in my eyes, it is not our children who are "********" but those who do not understand and are ignorant to people who have extra needs.

only today i had a bit of an argument with a girl (i say girl as she couldn't have been any older than 20!) and it wasn't even because of my child! a young lad with learning disabilities approached me today for a chat, who i happily spent 10 minutes talking to as i would anyone else and the young man was told off by his carer for talking to me. i was fuming as she thought as he was different, he shouldn't be mixing with people. that is just so wrong - she is in the wrong job!

i should stop rambling, i could go on all day!

it infuriates me - what gets me most though is the stares! i have had people stop walking just to stare at my child. the thing is its mostly adults who do this and they should know better rather than be so ignorant.

it also really boils my pee when children are told off by their parents for asking why alex is in a wheelchair. it creates further ignorance and things will never change if it continues.

drs used to refer to alex as having gross mental ******ation - who invented the word ******???? i looked up the meaning of the word in the dictionary and one of its meanings is a person lacking intelligence or common sense. therefore in my eyes, it is not our children who are "********" but those who do not understand and are ignorant to people who have extra needs.

only today i had a bit of an argument with a girl (i say girl as she couldn't have been any older than 20!) and it wasn't even because of my child! a young lad with learning disabilities approached me today for a chat, who i happily spent 10 minutes talking to as i would anyone else and the young man was told off by his carer for talking to me. i was fuming as she thought as he was different, he shouldn't be mixing with people. that is just so wrong - she is in the wrong job!

i should stop rambling, i could go on all day!

me too!! i got a few stares at the park today....my daughter was running around aimlessly with her head down, and the grown ups were staring at her...I agree, the grown ups are the worst!!

a child playing in the park is supposed to be such an innocent thing - it takes away the beauty and happiness of it. its so sad x

wow that's awful you have been treated in this way. Just remember karma hun. They will get whats deserved x

I have had people look at my Grandson with such a look on their face

I have had people look at my Grandson with such a look on their face
.... sorry , I hit the 'submit' button too early , but the look of distain or almost disgust on their face makes me think HOW ignorant ARE these people in this day and age as well!

I took my DGS to the cinema but he wasn't coping well with it on this occasion and one little boy went up to his Mum and said ''Mum , that boy is CRAZY'' and pointed at my DGS ( who is Autistic ) .. I stayed calm ( surprisingly ) and simply explained to the boy in front of his Mum that my DGS has special needs and does he understand what that means???

His Mum actually nodded in agreement , because I did put the boy straight in a very calm and rational way even though I do get irate sometimes over the looks he gets when he is displaying his normal behaviour , totally normal to him & not doing anyone else any harm whatsoever at all , so why no understanding of a child or adult with differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->